Mosconi's 526 record...Who could break it???

This whole thread is just another example of why pool will always be shunned by mainstream America. A bunch of pool thugs, the cream of the crop I might add, can't get their stories straight. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck.

pete lafond said:
Babe Cranfield had a much higher run on more than one occassion.

Come to think of it...I heard MarK Tadd did also. :rolleyes: The only problem is, why are none of these claims recognized, verified, and authenticated?
Could it be because they're just big fish stories and what legends are made of?

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
Voodoo Daddy said:
I wanna say it was 2 years ago, Johnny Ervolino ran 350+ at the ripe age of 68!!! In Ny somewhere...someone help out?

In year 2000, Johnny Ervolino ran 333 at the age of 65. That's the story I heard. Johnny told that his high run is something... I think it was over 350 but it was ran decades ago.

I think Mike Sigel ran either 327 or 329 when he wa 19 years old. I'd guess he has beaten his record after that, but I don't know the figures.

On Accu-stat tapes or somewhere... I think Grady mentions that he has run 327.

How about Mike Eufemia ? :)

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Boro Nut said:
A 'slight' exageration then, shall we say.

Boro Nut

Toward the end of Mosconi's life when he was working for Crystal Leisure he was a little senile. This was also around the same time the book was written and I tend to believe that if much of the information in the book came directly from him it's accuracy would have to be in question. I had one incident happen at the BCA show that will show you what I mean. I asked Mosconi about a story I heard about him beating both Nick Vacch and Richie Florence with the 7 ball for a $1000. a game years ago. He didn't remember it and I assumed it may not have happened although I told him the story the way I had heard it. A few hours later I was walking around the show and here comes Mosconi and he gets me by the arm and pulls me to the Crystal Leisure booth. He says to some guys standing there, "Ask this man, he was there". It seems he has been telling the story I had told him that he didn't remember and wanted me to verify it. I said I was not really there but knew some guys who said they were and I took off not wanting to embarrass Mr. Mosconi. Here he was telling a story that may or may not have ever happened, he actually did not remember, other then what I had told him, as though it was fact. Like I said he was somewhat senile at that time.

Last edited:

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Penrose Cues said:
This is a list I copied from another forum:

These are only the runs of 300 and more...

625 Mike Eufemia USA
526 Willie Mosconi USA (rip 1993) 8foot, 1954
491 Thomas Engert Germany
408 Earl Strickland USA
406 Thorsten Hohmann Germany
400 John Schmidt USA
326 Oliver Ortmann Germany
326 Werner Duregger Austria
321 Oliver Ortmann Germany
321 Steve Mizerak USA
309 Irving Crane USA (10foot) in 1939
306 Per Anda Sweden

If anyone has additional runs over 300, please let me know...

Tom

Babe Cranfield ran a 411 that I personaly know of, he may have run more at other times. When I say personaly know, I was not there but saw Cueball Kelly just a few hours later who was racking the balls for him when he did it, so I know it to be true.

Last edited:

vader93490

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Penrose Cues said:
This is a list I copied from another forum:

625 Mike Eufemia USA
408 Earl Strickland USA
400 John Schmidt USA
321 Steve Mizerak USA
306 Per Anda Sweden

If anyone has additional runs over 300, please let me know...

Tom

Two names come to mind that you omitted. Allen Hopkins has a high run of 410. Also Mike Sigel has a high run of 339.

Penrose Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is great guys...

The more info we have on the breaks, the better.

Here's the new list:

625 Mike Eufemia USA
411 Babe Cranfield USA
408 Earl Strickland USA
404 Allen Hopkins USA
400 John Schmidt USA
350 Johnny Ervolino USA
327 Mike Sigel USA
327 Grady Matthews USA
321 Steve Mizerak USA
306 Per Anda Sweden

And again, if anyone has additional runs over 300, please let me know...

Tom

Grady

Pro Player
The five rail kick

Do you guys also believe that Mosconi made a five rail kick shot with another great player needing only two?
Larry Liscotti, before he became a drunk, never played a game that I saw where he didn't run a hundred, on all types of equipment. I oughta' know. In central CT somewhere he ran 150 and out on me for $2,000 and 138 and out for $5,000.
I played Ervolino lots of times, too. The prejail Johnny was a far superior player to the older Johnny.

HOB Weert

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thomas Engert run's almost daily 200 or 300, and then stops because it takes too long...

MH
HOB Weert

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Grady said:
...Larry Liscotti, before he became a drunk, never played a game that I saw where he didn't run a hundred, on all types of equipment. I oughta' know. In central CT somewhere he ran 150 and out on me for $2,000 and 138 and out for $5,000....

Calling Larry a "drunk" is pretty sad, Grady, considering he has passed. I'm sure most who know and love Larry Lisciotti would like folks to remember him for his MANY attributes, one being a straight pool phenom and another being an entertainer with a great sense of humor. There was never a dull moment when Larry Lisciotti was in the house. :)

Grady said:
...I played Ervolino lots of times, too. The prejail Johnny was a far superior player to the older Johnny.

I'd venture to say the same about most players when they age, whether they were incarcerated or not. I'd imagine your game, Grady, ain't anywhere near what it used to be since you have entered the autumn of your life. Twenty years ago, you'd probably give weight to most one-pocket players.

Hopefully, 50 or 100 years from now, there will be many GOOD things to remember about Grady Mathews. Celebrity pool players who live in glass houses should not throw bricks (IMO).

JAM

StoneCold

Registered
JAM said:
Calling Larry a "drunk" is pretty sad, Grady, considering he has passed. I'm sure most who know and love Larry Lisciotti would like folks to remember him for his MANY attributes, one being a straight pool phenom and another being an entertainer with a great sense of humor. There was never a dull moment when Larry Lisciotti was in the house. :)

I'd venture to say the same about most players when they age, whether they were incarcerated or not. I'd imagine your game, Grady, ain't anywhere near what it used to be since you have entered the autumn of your life. Twenty years ago, you'd probably give weight to most one-pocket players.

Hopefully, 50 or 100 years from now, there will be many GOOD things to remember about Grady Mathews. Celebrity pool players who live in glass houses should not throw bricks (IMO).

JAM
Why is that anytime someone tells it like it is about a pool player on this forum you come running to their rescue? There is no personal insult here. I find it refreshing that Grady doesn't sugar coat things, I would imagine other's do as well.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
StoneCold said:
Why is that anytime someone tells it like it is about a pool player on this forum you come running to their rescue? There is no personal insult here. I find it refreshing that Grady doesn't sugar coat things, I would imagine other's do as well.

Then I will try not to sugar-coat a response to you, StoneCold.

I don't like to read sucker-punching posts about dead pool players, especially labeling the late Larry Lisciotti as a "drunk" and making mention the late Johnny Ervolino's incarceration.

In addition, I would think that Grady Mathews himself would not want people talking about him in a derogatory manner on a public forum after he meets his maker. Just like the late Lisciotti and Ervolino, Grady's hands ain't clean either, having traveled the exact same road AND enjoying all of the same amenties that the '70s and '80s had to offer. Give me a break.

So, in sum, StoneCold, if that is the worst thing I do to rub you the wrong way on AzBilliards forum, then hopefully I will not make your Ignore List at any time soon. FWIW, I do not like sucker-punchers, and I find it distasteful to talk about the dead who are not able defend themselves. It is something I feel strongly about.

If I were to drag Keith on this thread, he could most likely conjure up a few words to say about all three of the above-referenced players, but I can tell you one thing, he would NEVER be disrespectful to any of his FRIENDS as they currently rest in peace.

JAM

Cane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tap Tap Tap, Jennie

Later,
Bob

PS: My grandfather once told me that the easiest way for a person to cover up their own insecurity was to belittle others... The older I get, the more I see he was right.

Last edited:

jhendri2

Rack'em Sausage
Silver Member
JAM said:

I don't like to read sucker-punching posts about dead pool players, especially labeling the late Larry Lisciotti as a "drunk" and making mention the late Johnny Ervolino's incarceration.

In addition, I would think that Grady Mathews himself would not want people talking about him in a derogatory manner on a public forum after he meets his maker. Just like the late Lisciotti and Ervolino, Grady's hands ain't clean either, having traveled the exact same road AND enjoying all of the same amenties that the '70s and '80s had to offer. Give me a break.

So, in sum, StoneCold, if that is the worst thing I do to rub you the wrong way on AzBilliards forum, then hopefully I will not make your Ignore List at any time soon. FWIW, I do not like sucker-punchers, and I find it distasteful to talk about the dead who are not able defend themselves. It is something I feel strongly about.

If I were to drag Keith on this thread, he could most likely conjure up a few words to say about all three of the above-referenced players, but I can tell you one thing, he would NEVER be disrespectful to any of his FRIENDS as they currently rest in peace.

JAM

Well said Jenn. There's a difference between being up front and honest and being an ass and disrespectful. It's called tact and class.

Jim

bgb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JAM said:

JAM

Hitler loved dogs, but I'll wager that even his best friends remember him as something of a jerk. I didn't see anything wrong with Grady's post. True he's no saint, but you hear so much sugar-coating about some of these legends it's refreshing once in a while to hear something approaching the truth.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bgb said:
Hitler loved dogs, but I'll wager that even his best friends remember him as something of a jerk. I didn't see anything wrong with Grady's post. True he's no saint, but you hear so much sugar-coating about some of these legends it's refreshing once in a while to hear something approaching the truth.

In the future, I will click the "X" in the upper right-hand corner when I read these sucker-punching posts because I do not like controversy and do not want to engage in a "flame war," as they call it in Forum Land.

For the young readers who do not know the late Larry Lisciotti and Johnny Ervolino, do not pass judgment on the deceased by reading the words of a cantankerous man with sour grapes in his mouth.

JAM

pete lafond

pete.l@slipstic.com
Silver Member
vader93490 said:
Two names come to mind that you omitted. Allen Hopkins has a high run of 410. Also Mike Sigel has a high run of 339.

That's right about Mike, they called in the local TV station that day.

Bobby

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Penrose Cues said:
This is great guys...

The more info we have on the breaks, the better.

Here's the new list:

625 Mike Eufemia USA
411 Babe Cranfield USA
408 Earl Strickland USA
404 Allen Hopkins USA
400 John Schmidt USA
350 Johnny Ervolino USA
327 Mike Sigel USA
327 Grady Matthews USA
321 Steve Mizerak USA
306 Per Anda Sweden

And again, if anyone has additional runs over 300, please let me know...

Tom

I know that Johnny Ervolino's all-time high run was
361 which happened in 1967 during a 1000 point match
for big money. That's the highest run I've ever heard
of for big money.
Gene Nagy has run 430 balls and I believe he ran over
400 one other time but I'm not sure of the exact
amount.
Dennis Hatch ran 365 balls when he was only 20 or
21 years old.
In a article in one of the pool magazines around
1996 or so, Dallas West said that he had recently
tried to beat Mosconi's run and managed to run 351
balls, but he said hat in his prime he once ran 429.
Ray Martin is said to have run over 400 but again
I'm not sure of the exact number.

vader93490

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bobby said:
I know that Johnny Ervolino's all-time high run was
361 which happened in 1967 during a 1000 point match
for big money. That's the highest run I've ever heard
of for big money.
Gene Nagy has run 430 balls and I believe he ran over
400 one other time but I'm not sure of the exact
amount.
Dennis Hatch ran 365 balls when he was only 20 or
21 years old.
In a article in one of the pool magazines around
1996 or so, Dallas West said that he had recently
tried to beat Mosconi's run and managed to run 351
balls, but he said hat in his prime he once ran 429.
Ray Martin is said to have run over 400 but again
I'm not sure of the exact number.

I remember now that Dennis did have a 300+ run. But I believe it was 319 balls.

StoneCold

Registered
JAM said:

JAM
So would you like the people in this forum not to believe Larry was a drunk, or that Johnny was incarcerated? I think what Grady said was common knowledge and not meant to defame anyone's character. Having said that, it seems from your response that he hit a nerve or something. Did you know either of these two personally? If not, why would this bother you so much? Hmmm. I won't go any further with this I just wanted to know why you feel the need to defend something that doesn't need defending.