Most Under Valued Cue Builder

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
best playing cue for the money.
jack madden

best under valued cue. balabushka. so few made and such a valued name.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ummm.... In terms of playability, the value is almost entirely in the shaft. Or do you mean fancy inlays and prettiness and collectability? If not, then any cue maker who does a solid butt at a good price.

If we're talking about collectability, any cue with points is right out of the discussion. Done to death. Absolutely done to death. Do something new and inventive and artistic. Not points.

lord_shar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ummm.... In terms of playability, the value is almost entirely in the shaft. Or do you mean fancy inlays and prettiness and collectability? If not, then any cue maker who does a solid butt at a good price.

If we're talking about collectability, any cue with points is right out of the discussion. Done to death. Absolutely done to death. Do something new and inventive and artistic. Not points.

I'm still a big fan of classic cue designs despite their over-production :)

Yes, the playability is in the shaft, but I also personally value the feedback during the hit, and this typically comes from the joint type and materials.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member

Yeah, that's why everybody makes $$$ off Searing, Szamboti, Showman, and Mobley. 🤷‍♂️.

Like I just said there's more bad advice in this thread than any I've ever seen on here 🤦‍♂️

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm still a big fan of classic cue designs despite their over-production :)

Yes, the playability is in the shaft, but I also personally value the feedback during the hit, and this typically comes from the joint type and materials.
The joint has little to nothing to do with how a cue plays. This has been covered on AZ in the past. Blind tests have shown that the joint means very little in the feel of a cue.

lord_shar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The joint has little to nothing to do with how a cue plays. This has been covered on AZ in the past. Blind tests have shown that the joint means very little in the feel of a cue.

I haven't visited this forum much in the last few years, so I'm not surprised I missed that discussion. Just to be clear, I was talking about how the joint affects the cue's feel during the hit, not how the joint affects cue ball behavior (it doesn't). I only mentioned it because my Schon and Gilbert feel somewhat similar (same SS joint type), but the Meucci (flat faced implex) has a very different hit compared to those 2. All three use pro-taper shafts.

EDIT: I also found this interesting video on youtube... I wish something similar had been available when I first started cue-shopping --

Last edited:

krelldog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I still stick by my answers, which were you and Bob Dzuricky. Your cues rarely are sold, and you don't see many dz's.
Bob Dzuricky is a complete no brainer. His skill and integrity are of the highest level. Bob made me a gorgeous cue about 10 years ago.

He patiently helped me decide on all the details. Told me it would take about 1 year...and delivered it exactly within that year. I put minimal money down, and his price was extremely fair. Also communicated with me during the build. There is ZERO risk with Bob and his craftmanship is of the highest level.

m79a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chad Carter-Carter’s Custom Cues of Owensboro Ky make’s awesome cue at a very reasonable price.

Also Kevin Joiner in Murfreesboro Tn is making some great cues.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a steel joint Mobley and an ivory joint Mobley. You can definitely tell the difference.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Blind with tape wrapped around a stainless joint. How is that tape not changing things?

Rusty in Montana

I feel like Mike Gulyassy and Scott Erwin both make very nice cues for the money from a outsiders view from somewhere in the middle of Montana ha ha

Reactions: bbb

BJKZY174

Registered
I feel like Mike Gulyassy and Scott Erwin both make very nice cues for the money from a outsiders view from somewhere in the middle of Montana ha ha
I had Mike make me a custom a couple years ago and I absolutely love it. Many "custom cue" snobs who've tried it out are impressed as well. Earl having played his cues for so long after CT has to say something about them too