AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
whats the MOST you would pay for a cue imported from another country

A ... wouldnt buy at all
B ......$100 - $200
C.......$200 - $350
D.......$350 - $599
E ... What ever the market and quality and value makes it

this situation is lets say an american cue maker that say wants to retire to Costa Rica but would still like to continue to suppliment his income by building cues

Last edited:

Oregonmeds

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where's option F?

F: I like everyone else that plays already have all the cues I need or want and have no plans to buy another cue ever, xcept for perhaps a cheap jump cue, too cheap to fit on your scale.

:grin: It's not exactly the same as A, there may be another cue just not on your list.

Mojocues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sorry about the oversight

Please base this on a playing cue only no jump cues or jump/breaks

AND go ahead and assume you were in the market for a new cue if you arent

Antfarm

PRAGMATIC PONTIFICATOR
Silver Member
Marcus Deinst and Michael Vollmer are foriegn based cue makers and I'd pay thousands for their cues, especially Vollmer. Vollmer, to me, is essentially a Black Boar. (don't call the police on me folks)

If you are talking Asian foriegn cues only, then I'd only pay a couple of hundred. But a lot of that would also depend on the cue maker. 99% of the time, I wouldn't even buy an Asian cue.

JMHO,

r,

Greg

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see no reason to buy foreign cues when we have the best pool cue makers in the world right here, that need our support.

Mojocues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see no reason to buy foreign cues when we have the best pool cue makers in the world right here, that need our support.

I AGREE 100% ... but this situation is lets say an american cue maker that say wants to retire to Costa Rica but would still like to continue to suppliment his income by building cues

Antfarm

PRAGMATIC PONTIFICATOR
Silver Member
But what if I am a collector and buy lots and lots of cues? Do you still say there is no reason to buy any foriegn makers cues?

r,

Greg

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

A ... wouldnt buy at all
B ......$100 - $200
C.......$200 - $350
D.......$350 - $599

this situation is lets say an american cue maker that say wants to retire to Costa Rica but would still like to continue to suppliment his income by building cues

Really depends on the maker. i'd pay decent scratch for a vollmer or a viattore. Who's that az're that makes cues in russia? i'd pay a pretty penny for one of his cues!

kybill9

Banned
Reply A: $1. to $100. My vote because $1. is about all I will pay. Cue makers in America send their cues to other countries because they can get more money. Give me a Bobby Hunter any day.

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the cost is lower than its value and i wanted it, i suppose id pay whatever the price was.

If it was inlayed with a ten carat diamond and was being sold for ten bucks, i think id buy it no matter where it came from.

Suggesting that there is no reason to buy a foreign cue is a mistake.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I AGREE 100% ... but this situation is lets say an american cue maker that say wants to retire to Costa Rica but would still like to continue to suppliment his income by building cues

I'd say he's still an American Cuemaker, and I'd support him if I get the cue at the right price. But say he went somewhere like, oh, china maybe, to take advantage of cheap labor, and was no longer THE cuemaker,,,I'm done with him and selling off everything I own by him before he kills their market value.

But what if I am a collector and buy lots and lots of cues? Do you still say there is no reason to buy any foriegn makers cues?

r,

Greg

nah, I took the questions to warrant individual opinions, so I was only stating what I'd do. I think people should collect whatever they like,,,,and I specified "pool cues" in my post. Hell, I had a snooker cue made by a guy in England last year, because I think the english do snooker cues "right".

The Chinchilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I will admit I am kinda talking out of my ass, but I do know Asians -- I wouldn't be surprised if there were already some cuemakers over there who are doing as good a quality as our best. Even if there aren't any yet, there will be some soon. Further, I bet their standards will surpass ours very soon

I don't understand the question here either.... I would pay whatever the cue was worth. Is this a buy American thread??

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Marcus Deinst and Michael Vollmer are foriegn based cue makers and I'd pay thousands for their cues, especially Vollmer. Vollmer, to me, is essentially a Black Boar. (don't call the police on me folks)

If you are talking Asian foriegn cues only, then I'd only pay a couple of hundred. But a lot of that would also depend on the cue maker. 99% of the time, I wouldn't even buy an Asian cue.

JMHO,

r,

Greg

Asia doesn't include Mezz? Kaz Miki has shown cues at the past two ICCS shows and they have been phenomenal cues worth more than $5k

Keith Andy in Japan is also making rocking cues.

Edwin Reyes made fantastic cues when he was alive, doing things far beyond what most cue makers could do at the time.

Rayes Chin in Taiwan builds some great cues.

Or do you mean "asian" production cues?

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member

And yet your avatar advertises Japanese tips. When in fact there are American tip makers who "need" your support. Tweeten, Tiger, and Barioni come to mind.

Ironically all Fury cues, which are made in China, now come standard with Tiger tips, which are made in America.

Funny how that living on a globe thing works.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What a silly thread:
Cow-Dung-pile.jpg

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And yet your avatar advertises Japanese tips. When in fact there are American tip makers who "need" your support. Tweeten, Tiger, and Barioni come to mind.

Ironically all Fury cues, which are made in China, now come standard with Tiger tips, which are made in America.

Funny how that living on a globe thing works.

The question was about Cues, not tips, or televisions, or, um, Cases? As far as Kamui tips, I sell em, cheap, but I also sell Everest, Tiger, Moori, Lepro, Samsara, and Talisman. I've also sold Predator shafts, but I never played with one I liked. My answer was about Cues. I didn't imply what I thought everyone else should do. I just gave my opinion,,,,,,,,fwiw, I wouldn't buy a chinese case either!

Since this is getting off topic I apologize to the OP for not answering his question correctly!

A ... wouldnt buy at all
B ......$100 - $200
C.......$200 - $350
D.......$350 - $599

E

Bambu

Dave Manasseri
Silver Member
I'm not the guy who allows american companies to outsource jobs. So if I see a cue I like for its price, I buy it. I dont consider american jobs at stake when I do.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I recently bought a Philippine made Tony Bautista cue for 10,000p (about $240). I consider it a very good deal on a solidly built, nice hitting cue. I wanted a cue to keep in the Philippines since I'm always in action there. :smile:

TheThaiger

Banned
I will admit I am kinda talking out of my ass, but I do know Asians -- I wouldn't be surprised if there were already some cuemakers over there who are doing as good a quality as our best. Even if there aren't any yet, there will be some soon. Further, I bet their standards will surpass ours very soon

I don't understand the question here either.... I would pay whatever the cue was worth. Is this a buy American thread??

The cue market: the last vestige for protectionists.

I would pay what I thought was fair for any cue I wanted, wherever it's made. For some of us, ALL cues are foreign made. It's remarkably easy to not give a shit where cues originate.

I find this attitude that only Americans can make quality cues both hilarious and embarrassing.