My balls are all scratched up?

jgpool

Cue ball draw with this?
Silver Member
I have noticed that my pool balls are getting scratched and nicked up. I also discovered that the nails holding the pockets on are sharp and are protruding from the sides of the pockets. I suspect this is the problem. Anyone out there have a solution. Possibly something to cover them? Thanks in advance. :embarrassed2:
 
Yes, protruding nail heads will definately scratch up the balls, even if they are good quality ones. I suggest you post this in the "Talk To A Mechanic" section for solution suggestions. Obviously you can take a hammer to the nails yourself and try to hammer them in flat but they may well have more sophisticated ideas.
 
jgpool said:
I have noticed that my pool balls are getting scratched and nicked up. I also discovered that the nails holding the pockets on are sharp and are protruding from the sides of the pockets. I suspect this is the problem. Anyone out there have a solution. Possibly something to cover them? Thanks in advance. :embarrassed2:

Get a manicure, and leave your balls alone. :wink: :wink:

Jim
 
Thats exactly whats scratching them! Use a 1 inch black panel nail.
It has a very small head that will bury itself into the pocket and not
protrude and scratch balls.
 
jimmyg said:
Get a manicure, and leave your balls alone. :wink: :wink:

Jim
im pretty sure that if you get a manicure you dont have balls anymore so you dont have to worry about it.:grin:


Ben
 
Two words "Gold Bond"
 

Attachments

  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 318
joe, don't worry about scratched balls. you sound like a true contester. as secretary for the US pocket tennis association, i could send you an invite to our tour stop at your own convenience. yes, that's right! we'll actually set one up in your town! all we need is a bar with mucho beers and we're set. i have initiated a contact with justin who leans towards covering the event on TBAR wherever it may take place ($50 all 3 days).

happy rolls bud,
moe "backhand" lestor
 
Actually Ben, when you get older, you'll find MANY men get manicures. Women like the looks of a man with good hygiene and nice looking hands...a manicure is part of that. As an entertainer, I get them all the time.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

railfirst said:
im pretty sure that if you get a manicure you dont have balls anymore so you dont have to worry about it.:grin:


Ben
 
jgpool said:
I have noticed that my pool balls are getting scratched and nicked up. I also discovered that the nails holding the pockets on are sharp and are protruding from the sides of the pockets. I suspect this is the problem. Anyone out there have a solution. Possibly something to cover them? Thanks in advance. :embarrassed2:
Who installed your table?

I remember a similar problem that a student of mine had. The tack heads in the pockets for the leathers weren't pounded in very far, so when you reached into the pocket to pull out the balls, your finger nail could catch, with the thin, flat tack head driving under the nail and into the quick like a knife. I figured it was the fault of the idiot installer. I guess my tetanus shot was current.
 
jgpool said:
I have noticed that my pool balls are getting scratched and nicked up. I also discovered that the nails holding the pockets on are sharp and are protruding from the sides of the pockets. I suspect this is the problem. Anyone out there have a solution. Possibly something to cover them? Thanks in advance. :embarrassed2:

Fix the cause and do a search on here for a "bucket polisher". I built one it was cheap and works great.
 
Thanks

AuntyDan said:
Yes, protruding nail heads will definately scratch up the balls, even if they are good quality ones. I suggest you post this in the "Talk To A Mechanic" section for solution suggestions. Obviously you can take a hammer to the nails yourself and try to hammer them in flat but they may well have more sophisticated ideas.

Thanks AD I have pounded them in but I would like to cover them or something. I might try the Mechanic route, thanks again.
 
Thanks

scruffy1 said:
Thats exactly whats scratching them! Use a 1 inch black panel nail.
It has a very small head that will bury itself into the pocket and not
protrude and scratch balls.

Thanks scruffy, that is what were used but they seem to have sharp edges.
 
I have beer!

olauzon said:
joe, don't worry about scratched balls. you sound like a true contester. as secretary for the US pocket tennis association, i could send you an invite to our tour stop at your own convenience. yes, that's right! we'll actually set one up in your town! all we need is a bar with mucho beers and we're set. i have initiated a contact with justin who leans towards covering the event on TBAR wherever it may take place ($50 all 3 days).

happy rolls bud,
moe "backhand" lestor

Just find the bar, I will provide the Beer, it has to be COORS! :grin: :grin:
 
Local guys

Bob Jewett said:
Who installed your table?

I remember a similar problem that a student of mine had. The tack heads in the pockets for the leathers weren't pounded in very far, so when you reached into the pocket to pull out the balls, your finger nail could catch, with the thin, flat tack head driving under the nail and into the quick like a knife. I figured it was the fault of the idiot installer. I guess my tetanus shot was current.

A couple of local guys from Fodor Billiards here in Colo Springs did the table. They probably should quit their day job! :grin: :grin:
 
It's a damn shame that a person can't ask a serious question without precipitating a barrage of garbage such as just exibited in this thread. Don't you jack asses have anything better to do? And don't accuse me of having no sense of humour. Show me something funny and I'll laugh.

Dave Nelson
 
Back
Top