My new spindle and VFD

patrickcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you dont have one of these. I suggest getting one. It is very quiet and runs great! I can actually have a conversation and cut shafts at the same time now! It is also water cooled. I ran it for 3 days. 12 hours a day. It never even got warm. Which surprised me!! You can get these on ebay. Shipping was a little pricey though!!
I posted up some pics on how I have it mounted!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WATER-COOLED-SPINDLE-MOTOR-1-5-KW-INVERTER-VFD-1-5KW-VARIABLE-FREQUENCY-DRIVE-b7-/200687117794?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb9e265e2

spindle.jpg

vfd.jpg

SPINDLEMOUNT003.jpg

SPINDLEMOUNT002.jpg

SPINDLEMOUNT001.jpg

Last edited:

Graciocues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great buy. I looked at those several times before pulling the trigger on a new spindle. I wanted more RPM's so I had to spend a little more.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
What kind of router bit do you use with it Pat?
You think a 1 7/8 diam. 4 wing slot cutter be ok?
Thin one and runs really true. It doesn't vibrate my PC 690 much.

Last edited:

patrickcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What kind of router bit do you use with it Pat?
You think a 1 7/8 diam. 4 wing slot cutter be ok?
Thin one and runs really true. It doesn't vibrate my PC 690 much.
I use a .250 6 wing cutter. I cut some 1" dowels with it. I took .120 cut and it had no problems at all making the cut. I have no vibration at all. Cuts as good as anything I have seen so far.

Newton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Doug

That looks like a good setup! I had the choice of geting a HSD spindle which was wather cooled when I bought my setup, but ended up with a aircooled one.
Can't be in the shop when I'm cutting at full rpm's - ear protectors needed AND earplugs in addition...

My peak out at 18k Rpm's and inlays is so far no problem.
Nice find!
K

cutter

Steve Klein Custom Cues
Silver Member
Vfd

How's the workmanship on the VFD, I've heard they are the weak link
in the system, but sounds like yours is working fine. You using
an aquarium pump for the water circ.
Thanks

patrickcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How's the workmanship on the VFD, I've heard they are the weak link
in the system, but sounds like yours is working fine. You using
an aquarium pump for the water circ.
Thanks
So far no problems at all. Pat Diviney turned me on to these a while back. He hasnt had any problem with his either. He also bought the water cooled one. Iwent to lowes and bought a 300 gph fountain pump that I use with mine.

cutter

Steve Klein Custom Cues
Silver Member
So far no problems at all. Pat Diviney turned me on to these a while back. He hasnt had any problem with his either. He also bought the water cooled one. Iwent to lowes and bought a 300 gph fountain pump that I use with mine.

Thanks, Pat is probably putting a lot of hours on his.

Brickcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very interesting. How do you set up the water container? l would guess that you would use a 5 gal bucket and recirculate. Would think that 1.5 KW would be over kill as that over 2 HP. Should be able to use .8 or 800 watt unit and work just fine. I have a 3/4 HP router motor and it runs great but is alittle loud. Also have NSK for inlays and it is super quiet with .0001 um runnout. Keep us posted as I might just have to break down and buy one. To bad it does not work on 115vac.

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In another thread last year I mentioned about these spindles.Well my friend finally got his machine going last night. It is very sweet using the water cooled spindle.
He has had some problems with the controller board controlling the spindle on/off and speed. Seems the board is not outputting the correct controller voltage. So he is just using the VFD manually. It all seems fine so far.At 18k it is very quite and smooth.
I am going to get one for my work and make a 4.something reduction unit and precision spindle assembly.We only need 6k max rpm but want a quiet running unit.If at any stage they need to change the rpm it only becomes a matter of changing pulleys and belt.

For the cooling, he has a submersible fish pond pump. The coolant is 25% glycol and 75% distilled water . The tap water here is chlorine treated and has a high mineral content. The tank capacity at the moment is 5 litre but can be increased if needed.The tubing at the moment is flexible PVC.
Neil

Last edited:

patrickcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very interesting. How do you set up the water container? l would guess that you would use a 5 gal bucket and recirculate. Would think that 1.5 KW would be over kill as that over 2 HP. Should be able to use .8 or 800 watt unit and work just fine. I have a 3/4 HP router motor and it runs great but is alittle loud. Also have NSK for inlays and it is super quiet with .0001 um runnout. Keep us posted as I might just have to break down and buy one. To bad it does not work on 115vac.
Brickcues!!

I set up a 5 gallon bucket with a 300 GPH fountain pump in it. I just plug it in when im using the spindle. As far as the wiring goes. If you can run a 220 line to the inverter then you can run this. It needs 220 input. It puts out 220 3 phase!! It took us a hour to run it over in conduit and hook this up and running. The hardest part was making a way to mount it to my lathe.

patrickcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In another thread last year I mentioned about these spindles.Well my friend finally got his machine going last night. It is very sweet using the water cooled spindle.
He has had some problems with the controller board controlling the spindle on/off and speed. Seems the board is not outputting the correct controller voltage. So he is just using the VFD manually. It all seems fine so far.At 18k it is very quite and smooth.
I am going to get one for my work and make a 4.something reduction unit and precision spindle assembly.We only need 6k max rpm but want a quiet running unit.If at any stage they need to change the rpm it only becomes a matter of changing pulleys and belt.

For the cooling, he has a submersible fish pond pump. The coolant is 25% glycol and 75% distilled water . The tap water here is chlorine treated and has a high mineral content. The tank capacity at the moment is 5 litre but can be increased if needed.The tubing at the moment is flexible PVC.
Neil
This one that I have is a variable speed 0-24000 rpm. So you wouldnt have to make a reduction pulley unless you just wanted to do it.

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
There are AT LEAST THREE sellers with the same descriptions and pics saying the other are cheap......

Thank you for putting the link up for the one you bought....

Mr Hoppe

Sawdust maker
Silver Member
You are braver than I am Doug. When I see this much broken English in an add I usually run the other way. Glad it worked out for you though, and thanks for posting!

patrickcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are braver than I am Doug. When I see this much broken English in an add I usually run the other way. Glad it worked out for you though, and thanks for posting!
I was a little concerned also. He had a good rating on ebay. Also Pat diveney has bought several of these. Not sure if it was the same seller. But the same unit. So far so good with it.