My Schon Balabushka Tribute cue review!

Soulweb

One-Ball Champ
Silver Member
Am I the only one that was disappointed with the closeup of the diamond inlaid in the point?

Nice cue. :smile:

It doesn't look like that to the naked eye. If it did I would be the first one to complain. After I saw the picture initially I went back and looked at the diamond and it just doesn't look at all like that. I don't know if it's just the way the light caught the finish or what, but the inlays all look fine.

The Clever Set

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It looks just like a 40 year old Bushka inlay, except on a brand new cue. They could've inlaid the diamonds into an epoxy filled round hole to make it an even more accurate reproduction.

Am I the only one that was disappointed with the closeup of the diamond inlaid in the point?

Nice cue. :smile:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It looks just like a 40 year old Bushka inlay, except on a brand new cue. They could've inlaid the diamonds into an epoxy filled round hole to make it an even more accurate reproduction.

If they were going for a reproduction they would have used a full splice blank....not rounded CNC points. These cues are very nice tributes and a long, long haul from reproductions. I like the explanation provided by the owner.

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It doesn't look like that to the naked eye. If it did I would be the first one to complain. After I saw the picture initially I went back and looked at the diamond and it just doesn't look at all like that. I don't know if it's just the way the light caught the finish or what, but the inlays all look fine.

Excellent explanation. Light can do funny things.

Soulweb

One-Ball Champ
Silver Member
If they were going to do a full reproduction the cue would have been built using ancient technology and a complete disregard for decades of wisdom and information that have been accrued and disseminated since then.

The idea was a "tribute" cue, not a "replica" cue. A real replica would probably be closer in price to the original as well.

As far as "bang for the buck" goes, I couldn't be happier. But yes, with a few grand in your pocket you can probably get a custom maker to produce a more accurate copy vs. a tribute. I actually see them on here often.

I know the taboo that surrounds desecrating the mythology behind the "Balabushka" name, but I'll take a nice Bill Schick, Sugartree, Richard Black, or any number of builders out there today over a genuine Bala if I was to actually use it for playing. George did the best he could with the tools and information he had...which was virtually the Jurassic era for custom cue building. If he only knew what most of us do today, and had modern day tools available to him it's a wonder what he would have come up with.

The dot/diamond 4 point/4 veneer cue is a right of passage for any builder. it's not the penultimate challenge, rather it's just a stepping stone. A sort of history lesson. This is considered "easy" by most builders. At least according to that "Cue maker's Roundtabe: DVD that had a host of today's elite builders.

Schon builds more complicated cues on a regular basis. This is Even Clark's tribue to Balabushka, not his idea of a clone. As such, yes many differences are abound. As well they should be.

Of course, if someone doesn't like it, they don't like it. I personally think the bulk of genuine Balabushkas are extremely overrated in the looks department. Their value has got to be 99% brand and mythology as I can't imagine too many people actually play with them anymore. it's more an investment than a pool cue these days. I wish I said I owned a genuine balabushka...with the full splice, the floating-in-epoxy diamonds and all...I'd sell that sucker and get a premium Shick in a heartbeat.

The genuine Bala is like a Ford Model T. Impressive considering the era it was built in, the ingenuity used to build and design it, and the way it makes you remember days gone by. ..But you'll never see anyone try to race it in the Dayton 500. ..Thats what makes all these custom clones and tributes so nice. All the joy of the classic looks with none of the frailty of the flaws inherent to it's age.

Last edited:

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
I think it is a nice tribute that doesn't lose a lot in the translation. Could it have been better? Maybe, but the things to improve it would have cost the cue it's Schon identity... If these cues were made early on, they would have been pointed, but with todays Schon, they fit right in.

Good job to Dean and Evan.

JV (---wouldn't have used real Cortland.. :)

pooln8r

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Soulweb...Congrats! This cue came out great! Man, I wish I had the funds free to have gotten in on these. It really is a sweet Balabushka tribute with the Schon formula holding it all together. Not much that I see that could have been done to make this cue a better offering.

Great stuff from Deanoc and Evan! I hope to be lucky enough to take advantage of one of these special Schon runs in the future.

Thanks for sharing your cue!

Kevin

wild8bill9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congrats

I have recieved mine also, very happy with results. I got the other 19oz. one with one shaft, non ivory ferrule, will be working on the second shaft for it in the future. Good to see all the details posted on AZ and by the guy on ebay. Thanks everyone good info. Bill

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Soulweb Has It Right

I agree with Soulweb's postings...all of them...regarding this cue. Evan Clarke didn't set out to make the best replica of a George Balabushka cue. He was asked to come up with a design which incorporated the Balabushka design into a Schon made cue.

I don't want to sound like I'm lecturing anyone on this but here goes anyway. As many readers know, George Balabushka is a heralded cue-maker and his cues sell for more than anyone else's or so it seems. But George finished the cues and didn't make the entire cue. He purchased blanks from 4 different sources during his lifetime of cue-making and he only produced 1200 cues. His work is categorized into 4 distinct periods which are directly associated with the source for the blank cues he was buying: Brunswick/Titleist, John Davis, Burton Spain and Gus Szamboti.

George Balabushka/s best work was done under his Szamboti cue period of cue-making, He made the most ornate designs in his last period of cue-making and his workmanhsip truly hit its peak. Evan Clarke could have selected any design style from any of the four different periods George Balabushka was making cues. Many of the buyers pushed real hard for a cue design from the Szamboti period and fortunately that is what Evan decided to do, His cue is a accuarte reproduction of a George Balabushka cue made during his Szamboti period of cue-making.

Sure, sharp points would have been great but remember this cue isn't intended to be a counterfeit Balbushka., Evan Clarke remained true to the Balbushka design style but kept to his guns and made this cue to look like a Schon and play like a Schon but resemble a Balabsuhka cue which he did an excellent job of accomplishing. The photos of the cue on e-Bay suck...plain and simple....the cue doesn't look anywhere as good as it does in person. The rarity of these cues are what makes everyone wonder about them....I mean only seven will ever be made and on the next run, deanoc is going to increase the number of cues slightly. Even though I posted that I might be selling mine because I only now play with cues that have ivory joints,....just a relatively new change for me.....I'm still thinking of getting in on the 2nd Tribute cue by Schon and just add it to the 1st Balbushka Tribute as a pair of unique, limited edition Schon cues.....who knows. in 10 years from now, my estate might find that these cues have drastically increased in value or then again maybe not.

I find there are two underlying factors affecting price of cues aside from the general economic conditions or the state of affairs of the secondary cue market sales. I call this the rule of "Rarity and Scarcity". Rarity represents the actual number of the specific cue that were made and scarcity reflects how many of those cues are still around or are available at at giiven point in time. I know because I became known as the Bushka guy on the Forum wanted to buy/sell section. I searched for a Tim Scruggs Bushka Tribute cue for months and months and I learned firsthand about how rarity and scarcity factor into the cue's ultimate price.

There are only seven (7) of the Schon Balabushka Triubute Cues and that's not a whole lot.....that's the rarirty number...SEVEN (7). Now in the months and years ahead, the rule of scarcity takes over and helps drive the price of the cue. Five years from now, what would a brand new unplayed Schon Balabushka cue fetch or what about a pair of tribute cues by Schon.....the 1st Balabushka Tribute cue and the 2nd Tribute cue which will be a copy of Mosconi's favorite Balabushka cue. I think these cues will not lose value and should improve but that remains to be seen.

And let's get this staright, there's nothing wrong with CNC cuts....points don't make the cue play ant better nor does the cue's design. Schon cues didn't become popular because the cue has a terrible hit or feel. People either love or hate Schon cues....it's like ivory ferrules or an ivory joint....they're not for everyone but ultimately you either love ivory or hate the difference it makes. For me, I've fallen in love with the difference but that's just me. I'm 65 years old and have played with steel joint cues for fifty years......Oops...49 years. Last year I started using a Tim Scruggs cue with flat faced ivory joint and that was it for me....I became sold on ivory right then and there.

Anyway, getting back to these Schon cues, other cue-makers will continue to produce Balabushka Tribute cues for years to come. But Schon isn't going to become one of them. Special limited edition runs of a cue tend to become history making of a sort for that cue-maker if they do a great job. Schon cues already have a place in cue-making history like other cue-makers and these limited edition cues being produced will help elevate Evan Clarke's overall recognition and reputation as a cue-maker.
Anyone that gets in on the ground floor of something like this is much better off than awaiting to find out how much of a hit the cue will turn into.....it's a gamble just like getting in on an IPO offerring. But if you invest wisley, an IPO can nturn intom something great with big monetary dividends for you. I don't forsee these Schons as a way of striking it rich but I'm pretty confident that one's initial investment in the cue should not suffer and I think there is "some" upside potential for the cues down the road. That's why I got in on the cue even though it will not become a personal playing cue of mine.

Matt

FSutton

Full Rack Banks only!
Silver Member
I put mine up for sale in the wanted sale section I love this cue but I want a one of a kind szamboti style schon this cue plays amazing I think I just became a schon guy.

Last edited:

HollyWood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whats the material in the butts???

I sent in some (colored acrylics )- Red ,Green, blk ,purple others. were other colors used other than red? I haven't seen but 2 cues. mark

Soulweb

One-Ball Champ
Silver Member
Where would the acrylics be used? Is that the ring on the butt sleeve? As far as I know all seven of the tributes were identical. Only differences were the shafts as these were personal preference. (Diameter, ferrule material).

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
just for the record
several balabushka cues were full splice,george used the titleist house cues at the first
then a couple of other cue makers full splice

at the last his best were szamboti points

he used all kinds of materials from many different sources

after i commissioned this model
which will never be done again,never be a model sp or any other

after i was given a cue like willie mosconi played with,

i sent that cue to schon to have 7 more of a one time limited run
with the understanding that i might go up to 11 or 12

this cue features 3 sets of a very fancy balabushka ring that very few of us e4ver have seen

it will also feature a very interesting use of maple inlays that i have only seen on
2 balabushkas

one was owned by Willie,the other by the greatest female player that i ever saw,jean balukas

both of these cues were offered to me,and i missed the boat both times
but with these schons i am hoping to not only not miss the boat again,but to provide another few az people join me

i have a couple of spots open if you would like to discuss this unique opportunity to own
the design of willie's and the play of schon

as far as the quality,dennis glenn from houston,the single largest owner of balabushka cues said"these are as good as it could get without doing a shameful copy,not tribute"
he also said that as a collector he would recommend this coming tribute as a collectible
or playing cue or both

i thank you for reading these remarks and the compliments you guys have given the cues

dean