Names from the past

Love The Game

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buddy Hall and Sebastian Franco

At the request of a room owner I knew pretty well, I had the misfortune of trying to rack for Buddy and Sebastian Franco at a bar box tourney after they got into a heated discussion.

The balls were out of round and it took me 4 or 5 minutes per rack to get them froze. Both players would inspect the rack and I started taking flack from both guys! Sebastian would just shove the balls if they weren't to his liking. Real class act, ha.

I did get some jelly from the owner but vowed not to get in that kind of spot again. No win situation but memorable. :rolleyes:

Keith McCready

Pro Player
Hi JAM,

Can you ask Keith if he every played Vera Cruz at all. I know he played most of the mexican champions in so cal and was wondered if he had any stories about Vera Cruz.

thanks

I've known Vera Cruz for years. He actually played with me back in the '70s. On a bar table, I was giving him the 8 and 9, which was a real tough game. We played many a sets. I win some, and I lose some. He is a real scrapper.

As time went on, I got to know Vera Cruz a lot better. Over there at the Riviera, we would drink together and hustle together, but he'd out-number me 3 to 1 or 4 to 1 grabbing his man. It was a sight to see. It was real funny. He lays it down good, plays that good drunken role.

I haven't seen him since the last trip in Vegas. I hope he's doing well. I'm sure if you wanted to catch up with him, the Rivera or the Rio tournament is where he'll be.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
You're from the East Coast do you or Keith remember Jimmy Matz from Reading P.A.? Did Keith ever play him?

Thanks

Wedge

Was that the guy who had a steel plate in his head from an accident? If so, he played pretty sporty but ...... you had to pay attention to him at all times. My friend Julio was playing him in York, PA. Jim played safe. Julio made a good hit. Jim picked the cue ball up anyway. Julio called a foul. Jim said "I'll put it back, no harm done" :rolleyes: !

Lyn

Arlene

Registered
Little Buddy quit pool many years ago. Roy is still up in Reno dealing craps. One of the smartest blackjack and dice players alive. He was barred from playing 21 up there, better to hire him. A damn good little player.
Vera Cruz is actually Sebastian Franco, a lifetime bar hustler. He lost an eye in a barroom tiff some years back but kept playing. He shows up occasionally at the BCA Nationals to hustle pool.

Roy Futternick is living in Sacramento. He occasionally goes into the Jointed Cue. I spoke with him just a few months back.

Arlene

Put_upor_shutup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've known Vera Cruz for years. He actually played with me back in the '70s. On a bar table, I was giving him the 8 and 9, which was a real tough game. We played many a sets. I win some, and I lose some. He is a real scrapper.

As time went on, I got to know Vera Cruz a lot better. Over there at the Riviera, we would drink together and hustle together, but he'd out-number me 3 to 1 or 4 to 1 grabbing his man. It was a sight to see. It was real funny. He lays it down good, plays that good drunken role.

I haven't seen him since the last trip in Vegas. I hope he's doing well. I'm sure if you wanted to catch up with him, the Rivera or the Rio tournament is where he'll be.

He is still gettin his man..Grinding about 20 hours a day napping in the corner the other 4..I'm bettibg it takes wheel barell to tote out all the 5, 10s and 20s he leaves the bca with every year..I definitely respect his hustle.

bobbycotton

PoolHall Junkie
Silver Member
I think one-eyed tony was the best of that group, him a and chuck played close, i played tony twice ,great player !

bobbycotton

PoolHall Junkie
Silver Member
I beat Sweatman pretty easy on a bar table in the 70's, he was one of the most treacherous guys around, believe me lol !

bobbycotton

PoolHall Junkie
Silver Member
hey freddy, i knew crabtree real well too, he was a real tough hombre to say the least ! glad he liked me lmao !!

mcsock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do the names David Nottingham or Rusty Brandameyer mean anything to anybody?

I grew up in Wyo. I still remember playing Dave when he was still a student at Univ. of Wyo. He transfered down to Laramie from the Jr. college in his home town. We talked a lot about more than just pool, he was way too good for me to contend with. Needless to say even at that age (few years older than me) he was solid. This was before he started bouncing around the county playing pool.

mkung

Registered
Hello, this is little Buddy's new wife. He has been hoping to reconnect with people from the past and would like to rekindle the pool fire. Please let me know if u may help with this. Thanx.

mkung

Registered
Little Buddy - quit the game at a young age to get married and become a carpenter. I last saw him 20 years ago in Elsinor (Riverside County, Southern California). I got the impression he wasn't happily married. I would've liked to see him come back to the game.

Roy Futternick - I haven't seen him in many years. Someone told me he's dealing cards in Reno.

I am Little Buddy's new wife and I hope to help him reconnect with people from his pool hall past. He has been dreaming of rekindling his pool shooting flames. Please let me know if u may help with this. Thanx.

8ballEinstein

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am Little Buddy's new wife and I hope to help him reconnect with people from his pool hall past. He has been dreaming of rekindling his pool shooting flames. Please let me know if u may help with this. Thanx.

Little Buddy would barely remember me from many years ago in Lake Elsinor. Tell him Ernie says hi. PM me iif he'd like to connect with me.

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello, this is little Buddy's new wife. He has been hoping to reconnect with people from the past and would like to rekindle the pool fire. Please let me know if u may help with this. Thanx.

Say hi to Buddy for me. I haven't seen him for many years. Last time I saw him we were partners in a one pocket match. Send me a PM.... Frank The Barber

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Buddy played pretty good, a notch under the top players. He was still around at the beginning of Hard Times in 1988. Gone by the early 90's. How many kids does he have and how old is he now? Maybe late 40's to 50.

mkung

Registered
Buddy has 6 biological children and adopted a niece 22 yrs ago and most recently took in a nephew. He is now 50.