need opinion on this :

SKJoss72

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi all

I have been thinking of using my collectors cue (Joe Balsis personally owned joss cue, given to him at his inducton to the BCA hall of fame)

I have had this cue for several years now and have heard opinions on the value of it. anywhere between 2500-8k$ I feel somewhere in the middle, so my question is:

Can you guys give me any thoughts on whether I should use this cue, as I feel like doing so. it is not my only cue (have a joss players cue and a viking sneaky pete)

If you want to see the cue I have pictures on here in the for sale section a few monthes ago..(search joe balsis joss cue)

I know this may feel like a stupid question but I respect the opinions of MOST fellow pool players and this may help me decide what to do,

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are going to use it at home that's what it was made for. If you are going to use it at a public pool room don't lay it down for a moment.Take it to the bathroom with you or anywhere else you go in the room.

mantis99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With the other cues you have, I wouldn't play with it. Personally, I believe cues are made to be played with, and that high value cues such as southwest and balabushkas should be used. However, when you add the story to a cue like that, it changes it from a player to a collectors item IMO.

zy112

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tend to lean with mantis on this one.

I own several custom cues, all which I will play with. But if I had something owned by world champion during their reign, or insert any kind of story like yours, I would probably lock it up and keep it as a collectable keepsake... or sell it LOL. Whatever you do I don't think your wrong, if its what you want. I'm sure its a lights out player but a collectable as well... hows that for strattling the fence:)

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
Only way it would matter , IMO , if it has never been played with.

Cost is irrelevant , I have a bunch of players in the $4-$6K range. They were built to be played. Only difference if it's truly a "collector" piece for you , and never been played EVER , well you can only say that one time.

Otherwise I'd enjoy it or sell it. What else is there ? :)

SKJoss72

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
well thanks for the replies I think I will play with it and just use one of the many Joss shafts that i have for my other one. the Balsis shafts were said to never been used and dont appear to be. the 10$ offer is tempting though, but the free shipping ruined the deal...;)

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is a special cue and I wouldn't play with it. Little story - my dad gave me two signed balls from the 1950's era Yankees and Dodgers. And I mean they had all the signatures - Mantle, Maris, Berra, even Casey Stengel; Snider, Furillo, Campanella and Robinson of the Dodgers. I was just a kid and the balls were brand new. What did I do? Why go out and play with them of course. And ruin them both. How much would those balls be worth today? I'm guessing I could buy a nice car with the money.

doitforthegame

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Don't play with it. This is one of those things that should be held on to. On the other hand, you might consider selling it and then purchasing yourself a nice high end player.

A special cue like that is built to have this conversation 100 years from now "Gee Dad, what's a Balsis?"
"Oh son he was a great pool player way back in the 1900's"
"Really? Was this his cue?"
"No, it was given to him when he was inducted into the Hall of Fame."
"Why don't you play with it?"
"Well, my grandfather gave this to my father, and he passed it down to me. Someday you will own it. Even though Joe never played with it, it is a symbol of respect for his talent and skill."

But, if you must play with it, I like the idea of putting older shafts on it.

Scott Lee

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My friend Jerry Briesath was fortunate enough to purchase Joe Balsis's personal Balabushka, after Joe did an exhibition at Jerry's room, Cuenique, in Madison, WI, in 1968. Jerry held on to it for 30 years and sold it for almost 100x what Joe sold it to him for. I don't think this cue has that potential, but it is a historical cue.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

SKJoss72

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah Its funny how when people see that it a Joss it is now not worth very much. either way I am fine with that Joss has players cues but this was a custom made by Dan I dont see the difference between it and any other nice custom cue... the worksmanship on this is as nice or nicer than any I have seen during its time and even today... it really is a shame people have such a low reguard for Joss (east) I dont know whether he (joe balsis) used this cue or not. it didn't appear to be used (chalked) so I can only assume but it def. was his as I have a cert of auth. from his widow along with personal verification from Dan Janes himself...thanks for the answers keep em comming