Need some insight, re: The Hustler

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Someone posted it...I'm simply reposting. The Hustler' - starring John Candy as Minnesota Fats/Kevin Kline as Fast Eddie>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiTJbS7IkKY

Favorite scenes>>> Hey Mister how about moving your chair....also liked where Burt tears Piper Laura a new one. You're a train wreck. You're a loser. You're the last horse to come in.....
Thanks for posting and thanks to whom ever posted it first. This spoof of the Hustler is great. I can't believe that ten years and countless hours on this site and this is the first time I have seen this....hilarious.

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
There's a lot of misinformation in this thread about where the movie was shot. It was shot at Ames. Definitely not at Julians. Here's an earlier post of mine on the topic.

That's completely incorrect. First of all, Julian's was not in the film (I've been there, I know what the room looked like). Second, the original Julian's on East 14th Street (in the same building as the famed Palladium, a live music venue & later a Nightclub) is long gone. In the 1991's NYU bought the building and demolished it to make room for more student housing. I'm not aware of any current or recent Pool Room/Billiard Club in NYC by the name of Julian's. After Julian's closed "Chelsea Billiards" on West 21st became Manhattan's main action room (The Golden Q was in Queens).

julianswarehousemagazine2.jpg

The majority of the Pool scenes were shot at a Pool Room just off NYC's Times Square and was called "Ames" just as it was in the movie.

A little side story. Jackie Gleason was a very seasoned Pool player even prior to Willie Mosconi recommending him for the part of Fats in The Hustler. As a young, struggling actor playing Pool for money is how he made a living in between auditions. At some point earlier in his life his cronies set him up to be hustled by Willie Mosconi as a practical joke. Gleason & Mosconi became good friends after that.

Nyu_palladium.jpg

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

robertod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Minnesota Fats character

I am surprised no one mentions this.

All I know about Minnesota Fats is what I have seen in the You Tube videos. They show a very lively and vocal character, not refined in any way and in your face kind of personality. I am sure many of you have seen the video where he plays Mosconi and just cannot shut up. His mouth was going 100 mph at all times. This is starkly different than the way the role was written of hoe Gleason portrayed him.
Any thoughts, insights?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

All I know about Minnesota Fats is what I have seen in the You Tube videos. They show a very lively and vocal character, not refined in any way and in your face kind of personality. I am sure many of you have seen the video where he plays Mosconi and just cannot shut up. His mouth was going 100 mph at all times. This is starkly different than the way the role was written of hoe Gleason portrayed him.
Any thoughts, insights?
Gleason wasn't portraying New York Fats, as R. Wanderone was known at the time. Fatty claimed after the movie was a hit that he was the basis of Gleason's role. Author Tevis always claimed this was not the case. You know what they say: "Never let the truth get in the way of a good story".

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
I would like to see a third installment to complete a trilogy. Might be interesting to see an up and coming Eddie in the '50s.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like to see a third installment to complete a trilogy. Might be interesting to see an up and coming Eddie in the '50s.
How's this for a screenplay: Vincent, now older, has found Scientology(no stretch for Cruise here) and after a while gets bored and moves to Colorado and becomes a major cannabis farmer. While delivering a load to a dispensary he walks by a poolroom and the sound of the balls draws him in. He has a flashback, gets back in dead-whiz, goes to DerbyCity and snaps it off. Roll credits. ;)

Last edited:

Fenwick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Willie Mosconi was a tech advisor and made some of the shots. It's he who holds the stakes in the first Eddie/Fats match.

My mistake. Willie Munson was on the set of The Color of Money. Willie Mosconi was the advisor tech advisor in The Hustler.

Last edited:

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member

Any thoughts, insights?

Willie Mosconi writes in his book; "Willie's Game", that no one ever heard of Minnesota Fats until the movie came out and then the dude that became "Minnesota Fats" came out with that title. He was always a has been. Another great read is his book; "Willie's Game".

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Willie Mosconi writes in his book; "Willie's Game", that no one ever heard of Minnesota Fats until the movie came out and then the dude that became "Minnesota Fats" came out with that title. He was always a has been. Another great read is his book; "Willie's Game".
People in the gambling world knew of Fats. Willie lived in the lily white tournament/exhibition world. He would play for money but it was usually a dead-nuts lock. I know a guy who traveled with both Marshall"Squirrel"Carpenter(1p HOF'r) and Fats in the late '50's and 60's. He said Fats played WAY better than a lot are led to believe. Plus, Fats was a master match-up artist and more times than not, got the $$$$$$. Willie didn't really like gamblers in general. While he was running a million balls for a trophy Fats, Wimpy, and others were in the trenches getting the CASH.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People in the gambling world knew of Fats. Willie lived in the lily white tournament/exhibition world. He would play for money but it was usually a dead-nuts lock. I know a guy who traveled with both Marshall"Squirrel"Carpenter(1p HOF'r) and Fats in the late '50's and 60's. He said Fats played WAY better than a lot are led to believe. Plus, Fats was a master match-up artist and more times than not, got the $$$$$$. Willie didn't really like gamblers in general. While he was running a million balls for a trophy Fats, Wimpy, and others were in the trenches getting the CASH.
The only thing I ever saw Fats do was whine and beg for a spot.
Don Watson offered him 9-8 in one pocket and Fats gripped the chair so tight he left fingerprints in the armrests. Just kept running his mouth.
And the Squirrel robbed him constantly in Macon.
But then again, you never knew who was doing business back then......(and still don't for that matter)
Keep on truckin'
:thumbup:

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

Which one do you think died broke, Willie or Fats? So, to say Willie was playing for trophies is technically correct, he was bringing home BIG cash with his multiple world championships and sponsorships.

And as much as a personality Fats was, nobody that saw them both play would ever bet on Fats. Jay Helfert might be a good person to handicap that game ;)

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

Any thoughts, insights?

I gotta agree. The only similarities is the word "Fats" in the name. Gleason's part was the complete opposite of Fats. Gleason didn't even speak all the much in the part, but he was daper and a gentlemen.

Just like anything else, you see an opening and you take it. And Fats did just that. I have no problem with it, why not, it sure made him famous doing it.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Which one do you think died broke, Willie or Fats? So, to say Willie was playing for trophies is technically correct, he was bringing home BIG cash with his multiple world championships and sponsorships.

And as much as a personality Fats was, nobody that saw them both play would ever bet on Fats. Jay Helfert might be a good person to handicap that game ;)
You seem to infer that Fats died broke. I've never heard that said before. Possible but i kind of doubt it. Also, i never said Fats was in WM's league as a player. Fats was a road-man and gambler. Willie's skill and achievements are undeniable, no doubt.