New Pool Hall in Cockeysville, MD

Magic 8 CueClub

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello Everyone,

There is a new pool hall opening in Cockeysville, MD. Formerly Johnny C’s Arcade and Billiards, Magic 8 Cue Club will be opening on or around May 29th. The room has been fully renovated as well as expanded. Being a pool player myself, I tried to design the room with a pool player’s mentality in mind. It will feature nine 9’ Brunswick Gold Crowns, snack bar food, and BYOB.

For those of you that know Johnny C, you will be happy to know he will still be working the room a couple nights a week.

I plan to start running weekly pool tournaments in June and would appreciate your input on what days of the week work well for you. Right now, I’m thinking the tournaments will take place on Mondays at 6:30. The game will be 9-ball and the entry will be $20 with $50 added if there are at least 16 players. Based on a field of 16 players, the payouts would be $220 for 1st, $100 for 2nd, and $50 for 3rd. Not sure of the races yet, but it will probably be races to 4 on the winner’s side and 3 on the losers. If the tournaments run too late, I will change it to 3 and 2. I’m open to running more than 1 tournament a week if players are interested.

Please let me know if you have any questions and all feedback is much appreciated. I look forward to meeting each of you very soon.

Trevor
Magic 8 Cue Club
22 Church Lane
Cockeysville, MD 21030

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Trevor...First of all, WELCOME to the forums! Second, thank you for having the balls to renovate and open a new pool room, when rooms are closing all around us! Third, I hope you get a great local following! Being a poolplayer yourself (unlike many room owners), I know you'll treat your customers right! Where is Cockeysville? Best of luck with your new venture! I hope to stop in and see your room, the next time I'm in MD! :thumbup:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello Everyone,

There is a new pool hall opening in Cockeysville, MD. Formerly Johnny C’s Arcade and Billiards, Magic 8 Cue Club will be opening on or around May 29th. The room has been fully renovated as well as expanded. Being a pool player myself, I tried to design the room with a pool player’s mentality in mind. It will feature nine 9’ Brunswick Gold Crowns, snack bar food, and BYOB.

For those of you that know Johnny C, you will be happy to know he will still be working the room a couple nights a week.

I plan to start running weekly pool tournaments in June and would appreciate your input on what days of the week work well for you. Right now, I’m thinking the tournaments will take place on Mondays at 6:30. The game will be 9-ball and the entry will be $20 with $50 added if there are at least 16 players. Based on a field of 16 players, the payouts would be $220 for 1st, $100 for 2nd, and $50 for 3rd. Not sure of the races yet, but it will probably be races to 4 on the winner’s side and 3 on the losers. If the tournaments run too late, I will change it to 3 and 2. I’m open to running more than 1 tournament a week if players are interested.

Please let me know if you have any questions and all feedback is much appreciated. I look forward to meeting each of you very soon.

Trevor
Magic 8 Cue Club
22 Church Lane
Cockeysville, MD 21030

Welcome to the forum. I'm not sure where the pool of players will come from I'm thinking
630 is to early 730 or 8 is the usual start time for weekly turnys I think 5/3 is more than doable with 9 tables if there's decent players attending

8&snap

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is the pit beef stand still next door, that place rocked when the 2 teenagers opend it,is it still good??

Magic 8 CueClub

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scott Lee - Thank you for the kind words. It is a little scary opening a new room in this economy but my wife and I decided to take the risk. It's not something we would had done had we not been able to fully renovate the room. Johnny C's has been there for 36 years and I feel honored to keep the room alive, albeit with a different name. Cockeysville is in North Baltimore County, about 20 north of the city. I look forward to meeting you the next time you're in Maryland.

randyg - please do stop by, I look forward to meeting you.

One Stroke - I do agree with you that 6:30 might be too early and I'm willing to change it to accomodate the players. I don't believe I ever played in a weeknight tournament that started before 7 but though I'd try it to see how it goes and get people out quicker. I just don't want players to worry about playing a tourney through midnight and beyond. Although, $200 for first might be worth it.

8&snap - Charcoal Deli (the pit beet stand) is still next door and the food is amazing. I'm not sure if it's the same owners that you're talking about. The current owners have owned the place for I believe 20-25 years but they are not the original owners.

Magic 8 CueClub

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you Tom. You are definitely right around the corner. I look forward to meeting you. Have you been to Johnny C's before. If so, you're in for a surprise.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Hello Everyone,

Trevor
Magic 8 Cue Club
22 Church Lane
Cockeysville, MD 21030
Sounds good. Weekends would be better IMO for the tourney. Something during the day like a noon or 1 start time. 9ball, 5 on winners, 3 on losers. Kelly's had a pretty decent Saturday tournament for a while that was just a 10 dollar entry fee and that was always full. They havent had it for a while now. It would be cool to have something to replace that again. Just my opinion.

The Sunday at Top Hat has been having difficulty getting players which sucks, they are all there in the evenings but not for the day tournament. That is such a good tourney too. Races were 7 and 5 in 9 ball.

The only night of the week I have available until July is Tuesday nights and I drive to Glen Burnie for the Big Daddy's Tournament. Once July is over if you are having it on a weeknight that I will definitely be stopping by. This tournament start at 8pm and i made it to the final one week (and lost lol) and we didnt get out of there until 1:30am... a little late but worth it.

I used to go to Johnny Cs years ago. He used to run a 9ball tourney back when the Coliseum was still open because they ran an 8ball tourney ont he same night. Talked with Johnny a few times. Great guy. Glad he is still involved with pool and the room.

Good luck with the room, Im sure I will be in there at some point especially if you start running weekly tournaments.

Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
My parents live in York, PA so I'll have to drive down 83 to check out your room next time I visit. Congrats!

icucybe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am definitley checking this out! I know most leagues here play on tuesdays and wednesdays. I am definitly interested in weekly tournements, 8 ball & 9 ball. Mondays, thursdays, and fridays are best during the week for me. Saturday and Sunday around noon also.

Would be nice to see some one pocket, bank pool, and 14.1 going on too. But I might just be dreaming :p

29th is next week!!! I can wait to go check it out, I live around 15 min away! :thumbup:

I know VIP Billiards is starting a weekly 9 ball tournement on wednesdays. Would be better if you do yours a different day.

Check it out:
http://vipbilliards.net/uploads/3/0/6/8/3068097/weekly_beginner.jpeg

Last edited:

inside_english

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congratulations!

Hey Trevor,
We have known each other through pool for quite some time and I am glad that you were able to successfully renovate an existing room. I don't live very far and will definitely check it out and spread the word.

I currently run monthly 9B tournaments at VIP Billiards in Catonsville, and am wondering where some of the other users on this threas have been for these events...:wink:

I wish you the best of luck.

Magic 8 CueClub

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you everyone for all the support. We are in the final couple days of finishing touches and still plan to open the doors Wednesday the 29th. Brand new simonis cloth being installed as I type this.

I will announce the innagural pool tournament in a couple days. I'm shooting for June 10th or 17th.

Look forward to meeting you all very soon.