Nick Varner, pool commentator

Pangit

Banned
I was re-watching the first WPS final between Ruslan/Lee Van and noticed that Nick Varner said in his commentary with Chris Melling and Mick Hill (33min mark) that Shane Van Boening is the only Great American pool player today. Agree? I do.

video

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was re-watching the first WPS final between Ruslan/Lee Van and noticed that Nick Varner said in his commentary with Chris Melling and Mick Hill (33min mark) that Shane Van Boening is the only Great American pool player today. Agree? I do.

video
His record kinda says that, doesn't it? Day in, day out SVB is clearly the best U.S. player.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To the topic: van Boening actually tries to play rather European, so naturally he is a good player. Ruslan also is outstanding.

Off the topic:
Boy, what a crap commentary.
Bad voice, attitude and same old crap stories and opinions - nobody wants to hear that and also nobody wants to hear what YOU THINK and nobody wants to hear minute long monologues about general stuff.

"Yeah... " "You know..." "kindaaa..." "thaaang..."

I cant take even 3 minutes of that.
And this, gentlemen, is way pool sucks and Snooker rules.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Snooker rules? Seriously? I've been watching the World's and here's what i've gathered: its PAINFULLY slow, slop shots count(didn't know this), and you can hook a guy by just rolling on to a ball-no rail required(didn't know this either). I see the skill in making,oops, potting balls but the game's pace(or lack of) is GLACIAL. You're welcome to it but don't try to say "IT RULES". Crock of s^*t.

Last edited:

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Snooker rules? Seriously? I've been watching the World's and here's what i've gathered: its PAINFULLY slow, slop shots count(didn't know this), and you can hook a guy by just rolling on to a ball-no rail required(didn't know this either). I see the skill in making,oops, potting balls but the game's pace(or lack of) is GLACIAL. You're welcome to it but don't try to say "IT RULES". Crock of s^*t.

I think the USA is far better at inventing boring and slow sports. American Football. Baseball. And let's not forget crap Nascar, maybe even Indycar.

I gladly share my cigars and a good whiskey, rum or whatever you desire with you. Let's be boring together and learn ;)
It is slow and it reminds your brain that life is slow. Progress is slow. You WORK on things.

And I love that you can roll up to a ball without rails. It makes for more playing, style, variance, hardship, expression.
Pool is very boring exactly due to the runouts. And the commentators.

One thing I very gladly agree, though: I hate the extremely fast cloth, both when watching and when playing myself. I hate the old slow cloth, too.
Something in between would've been nice.

Why isn't there a regulation for cloth, both on weight AND rolling resistance (=speed)?

Cheers,
M

pmac666

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
completly agree, varner is a pain, just like ted lerner! sometimes i have the feeling lerner only comes with phrases he read here.... while the snooker commentary on BBC is topnotch! makes watching alot more enjoyabale!

on topic: ofc shane........ shane........and shane......who else?

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
I was having a nice chat with Chris Melling this past Friday at Windsor Locks and it included some of his thoughts on SVB.

He said he has enormous respect for Shane and his game and as for SVB's poor showings at MC, Chris is certain Shane is cracking under the immense pressure of that big stage. I said surely Shane has done well in other big pressure situations that I've seen him in and Chris said, yes, but nothing is quite like the pressure at Mosconi Cup.

Also, Chris liked the idea of our putting up a younger team USA and he's especially keen on Sky and Billy Thorpe. As am I. :smile:

Chris suffered a family tragedy while attending the US Open Straight Pool last week and had to get back home to deal with that. I wish him the best. He seems like a very nice young man.

best,
brian kc

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't listen to this specific commentary, but I've enjoyed Varner's commentary in the past. Obviously he is very knowledgeable and can be quite funny.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Until ones in the booth, under fire and doing commentary.....only till then....will one know if they are good or not. Very few announcers in any sports are great, or even real good. But many of the greats were educated in this field with schooling to develop this skill, which very few have. In pool it's always been who's the best player, or who knows who that gets the microphone, but 9 out of ten are really not good, which is too be expected.

Dimeball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't know of anyone going to broadcasting school to be a pool commentator...
Jay is the best out there.
Grady was good too.
Archer and Daulton pretty good. Respectable players seem to be way better than promoters and fans.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I think Nick is great in the booth. His accent doesn't bother me, and I can fade his cackling laugh, since he brings immeasurable knowledge of the game to the fans. I've learned a lot about the game just listening to him.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To the topic: van Boening actually tries to play rather European, so naturally he is a good player. Ruslan also is outstanding.

Off the topic:
Boy, what a crap commentary.
Bad voice, attitude and same old crap stories and opinions - nobody wants to hear that and also nobody wants to hear what YOU THINK and nobody wants to hear minute long monologues about general stuff.

"Yeah... " "You know..." "kindaaa..." "thaaang..."

I cant take even 3 minutes of that.
And this, gentlemen, is way pool sucks and Snooker rules.

Funny.

I enjoyed it.

I loved hearing his voice. It brought back a lot of memories.

It's called a drawl, and it is very American. Sounds great to me.

Varner:
1970 ACU-I Intercolleagiate Championship
1975 Midwest Open 9-Ball
1979 Lexington All-Star Tournament
1980 Professional Pool Players Association World Open 14.1 Pocket Billiard Championship
1980 Billiard Congress of America National Eight-ball Championship
1980 Kentucky Derby Open
1980 BCA 8-Ball Qualifier
1980 Illinois 9-Ball Open
1981 Kentucky Open 9-Ball
1982 Professional Pool Players Association World Nine-ball Championship
1982 Kentucky Open 9-Ball
1982 Bowling Green Open, Bank
1982 Prestonburg Open 9-Ball
1982 Owensboro Open 9-Ball
1983 McDermott Masters Champion 9-Ball
1983 San Jose Open 9-Ball
1983 Kentucky Open 9-Ball
1983 National Open 9-Ball
1983 Fresno Open 9-Ball
1984 Kentucky Open 9-Ball
1984 Tennessee State 9-Ball
1985 Tennessee State 9-Ball
1985 Zurich Open 9-Ball
1986 Professional Pool Players Association World 14.1 Championship
1986 Charlotte Open
1986 Sacramento Open 9-Ball
1986 Midwest Open 9-Ball
1987 McDermott Masters 9-Ball
1988 Glass City Open 9-Ball
1988 Scranton Invitational 9-Ball
1988 Tennessee State 9-Ball
1988 Sands Regent 9-Ball
1989 US Open 9-Ball
1989 MPBA Brunswick World Championship
1989 Rak'em Up 9-Ball Classic
1989 Knoxville 9-Ball Open
1989 Governors Cup 9-Ball
1989 Glass City Open 9-Ball
1989 Sand Regent 9-Ball Open
1989 Golden 8-Ball Invitational
1989 Scranton Open 9-Ball
1989 Lexington All Star Open
1989 Akron Open 9-Ball
1990 US Open 9-Ball
1990 World Series Championship
1990 Challenge Match, Vs. Efren Reyes, 9-Ball 60-47
1990 Al Romero Classic 9-Ball
1990 West End All Around Shoot Out
1991 Rak'em Up 9-Ball
1992 Super Bowl XXVI Billiard Championship
1992 Legends of One Pocket, International One Pocket Tournament
1993 Lexington All Star Open
1994 International Challenge of Champions
1994 World 8-Ball Championship
1994 Lexington All Star Open
1996 Sands Regent 9-Ball
1996 J.O.B One Pocket
1996 One Pocket
1996 9-Ball
1997 Mosconi Cup, Team America
1997 J.O.B. 9-Ball
1997 Sands Regent 9-Ball Open
1998 Mosconi Cup, Team America
1999 WPA World Nine-ball Championship
1999 World Championship 9-Ball Bank
1999 Steve Mizerak Tulsa Senior Open 9-Ball
2000 World One Pocket Championship
2000 Derby City Classic One Pocket
2000 Steve Mizerak Senior Masters Open 9-Ball
2001 The "Superman Classic" Open Tournament
2001 Mosconi Cup Team America
2001 Sunshine State One Pocket Tour, CM's Place
2001 Sunshine State One Pocket Tour, Kiss Shot Billiards
2001 Sunshine State One Pocket Tour, Capone's Billiards
2001 Sunshine State One Pocekt Tour, Sharp Shooters
2001 Hard Times One Pocket
2002 Border Battle, Team USA Vs Team Canada
2002 Patriot Cup
2002 Jacksonville 9-Ball Open
2002 Glass City Open 9-Ball
2003 Pechauer 9-Ball Stop #7
2003 Mosconi Cup, Team America, Captain
2003 Border Battle, Team USA VS Team Canada
2004 Border Battle, Team USA VS Team Canada
2007 Great Southern 9-Ball Tour, Big Orange Classic
2014 Durbin Cup

He can talk all he wants. I'll listen.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did not know that snooker no longer required you to get a rail with a ball after contact...with no penalty. That's not so hot. When did that start?
Here in the south there used to be game called "Alabama 8-Ball" where you could do the same thing...no rail and no foul for doing it. Just roll up behind something. We called it "the game with no rules". It was a farce and was to be avoided for obvious reasons.

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
In general, if a commentator is good or ok - I listen.
If he/she is "meh" - I tend to tune them out.
If he/she irritates me - I go to mute.

Varner - not bad, I kinda like him. (also, he's a helluva player - so I might learn something)

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I did not know that snooker no longer required you to get a rail with a ball after contact... ...
Snooker never required rail contact. It's American Snooker that requires a rail contact, and all fouls are 7 points.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Snooker never required rail contact. It's American Snooker that requires a rail contact, and all fouls are 7 points.
I guess that all I ever played was American Snooker then.
I don't like that 'roll up behind something' idea.
What happens in the British rules concerning 'a snooker after a foul'...?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... What happens in the British rules concerning 'a snooker after a foul'...?
In general the incoming player has three options. Have the fouler play again from that position, take a "free ball"-- declare any ball to be the lowest on the table, or just play the shot. In case the fouler failed to hit the ball on, there is a fourth option which is to have the balls replaced and have him play again. That's called "foul and a miss" and often it is not applied in unrefereed matches or in amateur play.

VIProfessor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Nick is great in the booth. His accent doesn't bother me, and I can fade his cackling laugh, since he brings immeasurable knowledge of the game to the fans. I've learned a lot about the game just listening to him.

Exactly! You seem to be an intelligent fellow, sir! Did you by any chance go to college in the Western Massachusetts area? :)