Now I'm pissed

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
No hard feelings Mullyman, but for your knowledge I looked into a label and my production pardner said it was going to cost me some $ in ink. If I can get Charlie Williams to return my calls I will have a table set up at the World Championships for promoting the disk. I had planned on creating a label for the World Championships, the disk would then cost $40.00. I was not even going to say anything about my run but when I noticed there was some interest I decided to give it a try. This may not look real pretty but I'm happy with the final product as it reliable and it runs:). I did not do this to show off or make alot of $ but more out of my love for Straight Pool, if you knew what my return on this was after all my hard work you would probably be more ashamed for labeling me a poor labeler:)Again no hard feeling mully but remember asthetics are not everything it's what is inside that counts. God gave me the ability to play pool and if I helped one person's insight on the game of Straight Pool well then there is another blessing and it was worth it to me.
Sincerely, Danny Harriman (The Springfield Rifle)

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
Danny Harriman said:
No hard feelings Mullyman, but for your knowledge I looked into a label and my production pardner said it was going to cost me some $ in ink. If I can get Charlie Williams to return my calls I will have a table set up at the World Championships for promoting the disk. I had planned on creating a label for the World Championships, the disk would then cost $40.00. I was not even going to say anything about my run but when I noticed there was some interest I decided to give it a try. This may not look real pretty but I'm happy with the final product as it reliable and it runs:). I did not do this to show off or make alot of $ but more out of my love for Straight Pool, if you knew what my return on this was after all my hard work you would probably be more ashamed for labeling me a poor labeler:)Again no hard feeling mully but remember asthetics are not everything it's what is inside that counts. God gave me the ability to play pool and if I helped one person's insight on the game of Straight Pool well then there is another blessing and it was worth it to me.
Sincerely, Danny Harriman (The Springfield Rifle)

You're a class act, Danny. I feel like a total asshole for posting that.

As a gesture of good faith I'd be willing to make up a few designs of something you could at least insert into the jewel case. Easily printed on your home printer, cut out, and put inside. Would probably help sell them at the Champions tournament. I know it's what's inside that counts but I don't know many people that approach an ugly woman for a date because they're hoping she's beautiful on the inside. hehehe!!!

If you'd like me to make some things up I'd be more than happy to do that for you, man. I'm a school teacher and it's summer vacation right now and I have a bum leg. I'm not doing much more than sitting around here all day with my thumb up my ass.
MULLY

Jimmy M.

Insomniac
Silver Member
I have to ask, did you guys who are all dissatisfied with the DVD's appearance buy it for its aesthetic beauty, or the content of the DVD? I personally never look at the DVD itself while it is in my DVD player and I'm watching the content on my television.

It's basically a $35 straight-pool lesson, and one that you can go back and refer to an unlimited amount of times. Is it really over-priced to pay $35 to have a guy run TWO HUNDRED AND EIGHTY balls and walk you through it the entire time? I'm sorry, but this criticism is way out of line.

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
Jimmy M. said:
I have to ask, did you guys who are all dissatisfied with the DVD's appearance buy it for its aesthetic beauty, or the content of the DVD? I personally never look at the DVD itself while it is in my DVD player and I'm watching the content on my television.

It's basically a $35 straight-pool lesson, and one that you can go back and refer to an unlimited amount of times. Is it really over-priced to pay $35 to have a guy run TWO HUNDRED AND EIGHTY balls and walk you through it the entire time? I'm sorry, but this criticism is way out of line.

Agree to disagree and the matter is already taken care of so no reason to stir the pot.
MULLY

poolfire

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
and yet

mullyman said:
You're a class act, Danny. I feel like a total asshole for posting that.

As a gesture of good faith I'd be willing to make up a few designs of something you could at least insert into the jewel case. Easily printed on your home printer, cut out, and put inside. Would probably help sell them at the Champions tournament. I know it's what's inside that counts but I don't know many people that approach an ugly woman for a date because they're hoping she's beautiful on the inside. hehehe!!!

If you'd like me to make some things up I'd be more than happy to do that for you, man. I'm a school teacher and it's summer vacation right now and I have a bum leg. I'm not doing much more than sitting around here all day with my thumb up my ass.
MULLY

you are still are caught up on the label/packaging

Dave Nelson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have watched mine twice so far and will watch it again, possibly in the company of a pool friend or two. I am totally satisfied.

Just one thing. Danny, god didn't give you anything. You and I have exactly the same amount of knowlege of god. None.

Dave(The Atheist)Nelson

Bigjohn

Support Our Troops!
Silver Member
mullyman said:
Danny Harriman, front and center, young man. I just got the DVD in the mail, literally less than 2 minutes ago. Do you think it would have been too much trouble to have made a decent looking cover and label for this DVD? Look, I paid you 35.00 for your DVD and then you send a message after payment was sent requesting 6 bucks more to cover shipping. The shipping label that the post office puts on with the dollar amount for shipping says "$0.00" I highly doubt the post office charges money for shipping and then puts a label on saying it didn't cost anything.

I am extremely pissed off right now. Had this DVD looked like any effort had been taken to make the package reflect what was inside I wouldn't say anything. But this damn thing is just a flat out burned copy with a simple thank you hand written on the cover. I feel ripped off. $41.00 for this shit? You gotta be kidding me.

No, I haven't seen the video yet. That's not the point. The point is that you're charging 35.00 to take a burned DVD and toss it into an envelope and then mass mail it. I'm going to contact the post office and see exactly how much shipping was. If it was in fact "$0.00" you and I are going to have problems.

All of this could have been avoided if you had just taken 5 minutes on your computer to make a cover for the damn package.
MULLY
not a happy camper

6 bucks from the U.S. to Japan sounds reasonable to me... I personally wouldn't pay $35 for it but you did right up front... what exactly were you expecting when you sent $35 for a DVD???

Bigjohn

Support Our Troops!
Silver Member
mullyman said:
Let the first person that has never done anything in haste cast the first stone. It's all good, I have to expect that some people are going to harbor some ill will towards me after this. And, if *this* is something that someone is going to hold against me, other than Danny himself of course, then, well, that's their problem. More things in this world to let bother you than someone on a message board that got miffed because of a DVD didn't have a label on it.
MULLY
sounds silly just looking at it

For Christ sake!...send it to me...I will write something pretty on it for you.............include $12 for shipping.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Myself, I am grateful that Danny took the time to make this dvd for those of us that love the game of 14.1.

I know how hard Danny worked on this dvd. He put his heart into every shot of that run, and he put his heart into the commentary also.

He also put his heart into taking orders and shipping the dvd's out to everybody that paid their money.

I have never seen a 280 ball run before. I saw John Schmidt's 245 & Niels' 259 - but never a 280.

That alone is worth 100 times more than Danny is charging for this dvd - and like I said - this came from his heart.

We live in an age where we can easily capture anything on video and have it produced and available for the entire world to view it in a matter of minutes.

There is no footage of Mosconi's 526.

There is no footage of Mike Eufemia's 625.

There is very little footage of Greenleaf, Caras, Crane, Balsis, Lassiter, or Murphy.

I am grateful for people like John Schmidt, Grady Mathews, Nick Vandenburg, Thorsten Hohmann, Ray Martin, Steve Lipsky, Stu Mattana, Darren Appleton, and Danny Harriman for sharing their knowledge in this forum so that we can all learn - pick their brains - and become better players.

We should not forget - or - take for granted the access that we have to these great players. This forum was created so that we could learn the game, discuss the game, and bring it back to prominence. We are succeeding - slowly but surely due to the efforts of Elvicash, Dennis Walsh, Bob Jewett, John Schmidt, myself, Danny Harriman, Charlie Williams, Jimmy Mendoza, Roger Tafoya, Grady Mathews, Randy Goldwater, Dr. Michael Fedak, Joel Shapiro, Kevin Vidal, Thorsten Hohmann, Tony Robles, Wei Chao, Bluepepper - the list goes on and on.

All of us put our hearts into this game every single day.

I choose to concentrate on that - not the crap that I read in this thread.

Myself, I am glad that Danny took the time to make this dvd - I don't care about the packaging or how much it costs - fwiw - 30 years ago I would have paid a dollar a ball to have access to the insight of a player like Danny Harriman. This is just a guess, but I'm pretty sure that everybody else feels that way too.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
I'm going to make an assumption here, and based on that assumption, I'm going to suggest a possible rational for Mully's reactions.

( I'll bet JoeW can shed some professional light on this in a generic sense)

When I read this post the first thing I thought of was my good friend who for some reason has a compulsion to see things like Adrian Monk on that TV detective show.

I go to his house to play pool for example, and during a run I have occasion to reach under the table for the bridge, use it and unconsciously lean it on the wall as I go to the next shot. It drives him crazy, he has to replace it. Not only replace it, the head of the bridge has to face the footstring.

I may use a paper towel or two during the course of our play and put them on the table next to my seat. Should there be two pieces or more, he picks them up and throws them away.

My wife is also anal-retentive. It drives me nuts as I'm admittedly the opposite. I take off one shoe in the kitchen, and while I'm walking I take another off in the living room. If they stay there until the next time I need my shoes, it's fine with me. :) She would not only put them away, you could bet the farm that the left shoe would be on the left, and the right on the right when they are placed in the closet.

There are clearly extremes to the rule of accepted norm in both directions. :)

Point being, some people, (maybe Mully) flow through life with these obsessions feeling they are normal and correct and should be obvious to everyone, and the rest of us folks not so overwhelmed with detail to the trivial things are the odd ones.

I think it goes deeper than a label. I think it's such an irrational reaction from my perspective, that its more than venting about DVD quality and more about a genuine sense that all things need order.

The moral is, that the good news is, we can always ask folks like this where our shoes are when we lose them. ;)

I'll send my bill in the mail :eek:k:

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
3andstop said:
I'm going to make an assumption here, and based on that assumption, I'm going to suggest a possible rational for Mully's reactions.

( I'll bet JoeW can shed some professional light on this in a generic sense)

When I read this post the first thing I thought of was my good friend who for some reason has a compulsion to see things like Adrian Monk on that TV detective show.

I go to his house to play pool for example, and during a run I have occasion to reach under the table for the bridge, use it and unconsciously lean it on the wall as I go to the next shot. It drives him crazy, he has to replace it. Not only replace it, the head of the bridge has to face the footstring.

I may use a paper towel or two during the course of our play and put them on the table next to my seat. Should there be two pieces or more, he picks them up and throws them away.

My wife is also anal-retentive. It drives me nuts as I'm admittedly the opposite. I take off one shoe in the kitchen, and while I'm walking I take another off in the living room. If they stay there until the next time I need my shoes, it's fine with me. :) She would not only put them away, you could bet the farm that the left shoe would be on the left, and the right on the right when they are placed in the closet.

There are clearly extremes to the rule of accepted norm in both directions. :)

Point being, some people, (maybe Mully) flow through life with these obsessions feeling they are normal and correct and should be obvious to everyone, and the rest of us folks not so overwhelmed with detail to the trivial things are the odd ones.

I think it goes deeper than a label. I think it's such an irrational reaction from my perspective, that its more than venting about DVD quality and more about a genuine sense that all things need order.

The moral is, that the good news is, we can always ask folks like this where our shoes are when we lose them. ;)

I'll send my bill in the mail :eek:k:

You nailed it right on the head, man. I admit it. I know everyone isn't like me but little things like that bother me.
MULLY
don't ever put my CD's in the case with the writing upside down, I'll scratch your eyes out:thumbup:

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
Blackjack said:
Myself, I am grateful that Danny took the time to make this dvd for those of us that love the game of 14.1.

<snipped for space>

You know, David, I overreacted. Plain and simple. Does the no label thing bother me? Yes, that's just how I am. But I overreacted and did something that I hardly ever do. I feel bad that I was so strong in my original post.

I've watched the DVD twice already today and it is really good. Totally worth the 41 bucks. Tonight when I was at the pool hall I found myself seeing things a little differently, especially his connect the dots pattern at the end. It's basically the same thing as Schmidt's triangle but for some reason Danny's explanation really hit home. This disc is going to be invaluable.
MULLY

Fuji-whopper

Fargo: 457...play some?
Silver Member
Hey Mully, maybe you can work something out with Danny where you do his artwork. If you came up with that image in 5 minutes maybe he would appreciate you helping him with his packaging since it's so obvious he needs it.

Just an idea to try and make "good" on what is a "bad" situation.

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
Fart sniffer said:
Hey Mully, maybe you can work something out with Danny where you do his artwork. If you came up with that image in 5 minutes maybe he would appreciate you helping him with his packaging since it's so obvious he needs it.

Just an idea to try and make "good" on what is a "bad" situation.

That offer was already made. Keep up.
MULLY

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Danny Harriman said:
No hard feelings Mullyman, but for your knowledge I looked into a label and my production pardner said it was going to cost me some $ in ink. I ...
Hi Danny,

I don't know what you were paying, but here is a quote I got last year from a US firm that does DVD reproduction. It was for a 2-DVD album. One DVD would be about $1.50 cheaper, I think. Let me know if you would like contact info -- their prices may have changed. I had to provide the artwork for the album cover and the hub. The cost would be higher for a smaller quantity. The turn-around time is about two weeks.

Hi Bob,

The cost for 400, 2 DigiPrinted DVDRs, 4 color insert, album and assemble would be $ 5.05 each.

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a minor Mullyish reaction when I opened the DVD case. I didn't react in any negative way, because it was most certainly the opportunity to learn something new that I was after and not a collector's item. I also kind of like the fact that I'm one of the few to be getting this information fresh off the presses. Maybe it's even better than a perfectly polished product.

Danny, there is one very simple thing that I can recommend that would save you money and also please your customers. Besides signing the cases, sign the DVDs with permanent marker. Add that personal touch that makes it a potential collector's item. Use your imagination to make it special.

Also, there are blank DVDs that have no brand name written on them (unlike the "Sony" you're using).
I would use DVD-R media manufactured by a company called Taiyo Yuden. They seem to be the standard for long-lasting low-error media. Look for a reputable distributor when buying, and choose the surface that allows you to write on it.

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dave Nelson said:
Just one thing. Danny, god didn't give you anything. You and I have exactly the same amount of knowlege of god. None.
Dave(The Atheist)Nelson

You can't deny that Danny kicks ass, and why does he kick ass? Because the dominoes fell in the proper order for him to kick ass. God, nature, the stars, the cards...whatever you call it, his kickassfulness was intricately woven by forces beyond our comprehension. He was given the environment, the opportunity, the coordination, the mindset, the "X" factor.
Nothing wrong with thanking God for the gifts you've been given.