Old School Players compared to New Aged Players

J-Dawg Oswald

I would love to see the old school players like Efren Reyes, Earl Strickland, Nick Varner, etc.. match up to some of the new guys like Woodward, Bergman, etc.. I'm not talking about tournaments but 5-10k matches. I wonder how they would hang and how close it would be?

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I would love to see the old school players like Efren Reyes, Earl Strickland, Nick Varner, etc.. match up to some of the new guys like Woodward, Bergman, etc.. I'm not talking about tournaments but 5-10k matches. I wonder how they would hang and how close it would be?

All three old schools could have a flashback and take home the cheese. Johnnyt

solid C player

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
there are plenty of older or old school guys hanging around pool halls all over the country that can play with anyone. those are the guys who rob you when your thinking your robbing them.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

When did these guys become old school? LOL

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who knows?

What would happen if Woodard and Bergman played those 3 legends 9 Ball on a 9 foot table and winner breaks when those 3 old timers were in there prime?

I know who I would bet on!

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What would happen if Woodard and Bergman played those 3 legends 9 Ball on a 9 foot table and winner breaks when those 3 old timers were in there prime?

One could make the argument that Woodward and Bergman have not reached their prime yet.

Funny. I watched this the other day. Keith was a great player with very unorthodox (terrible) fundamentals.

Yeah, but he is so fun to watch. Such a great character. I always thought his style of playing was unusual. But it worked great for him.

It was a different time with much different equipment. You can't really compare the two era's. How about we turn things around, and transport Woodward and Bergman get in a time machine, and travel back to the 70's or 80's, and have them play Strickland, Varner, and other top pro's. How do you think that would turn out? Give them a few months to get used to the equipment of that time 1st though.

Tobby

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well here ya go . Earl was 22 at the time and beat the best at the time for a prize worth $25,000 and a new car in 1983 " Cash equal today of $61,000 + $24,000 for the car " . Im sorry i like some of the new young players but have ANY of them beat all the best in a major tourny on TV for this kinda cash ??? So $85,000 1st place ????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Sd8iFD2aXI

molinatx4206

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Efren just snapped off a pacman 10ball tournament with world beaters in the past 2 years ....maybe a year removed... But he aint done yet...full field of monsters

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Reyes, Strickland, and Varner have nothing left to prove. If they're not matching-up, then they'd rather be doing something else with their time, money, and energy... I'm sure they'd play exhibitions with guaranteed paydays, though.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Reyes will be 62 this year, if my memory is correct. How many 62 year old stars can match up and hang with the 20 and 30 year old in other sports?

You can't compare them because everything is hypothetical, until someone invents a time machine.

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
A few years ago a couple of my friends were very excited that they could now play in the Super Seniors. They thought that they would clean up as they always did fairly well in the seniors and open divisions.

They were both surprised and disappointed because for them the competition was tougher. One said that them old mother funsters (sp) can really play. They still did better in the other two.

🎱

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
Well here ya go . Earl was 22 at the time and beat the best at the time for a prize worth $25,000 and a new car in 1983 " Cash equal today of $61,000 + $24,000 for the car " . Im sorry i like some of the new young players but have ANY of them beat all the best in a major tourny on TV for this kinda cash ??? So $85,000 1st place ????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Sd8iFD2aXI

There are no tournaments on tv anymore, and there is no longer cash like this in tournaments in this country anymore.

Pool has gone straight into the toilet since this era.
It's never coming back.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
It's not really the age. It's the desire to practice and compete and the health and energy to do so.

These guys have been doing it so long, I don't think they have the belly fire or energy they need to play at their own top level 100% of the time. I have no doubt Efren could make a comeback if he played with the passion they once had.

Let's wait and see if one of the former legends decides to put in some time, get in dead stroke and come out to really show up for a tournament.