One-piece butts

Charlie Edwards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cues with solid, one piece butts (with no handle) seem to be rarely built. Don't see them very often... and was wondering why. Looks like they would be very solid.

hangemhigh

Known Sinner
Silver Member
Cues with solid, one piece butts (with no handle) seem to be rarely built. Don't see them very often... and was wondering why. Looks like they would be very solid.

They are solid and play great. The key to a 1 piece butt is either well seasoned, slowly tapered blank , or the same process to a cored 1 piece blank.

Last edited:

camargored

Camargo Red Cues
Silver Member
Im builing one to take to the Derby ,Old growth Birdseye ,with lots of growth rings and cored ,BE is real nice to .White joint and butt cap and nice abalone and silver ring work .Pics to come .

hangemhigh

Known Sinner
Silver Member
They are solid and play great. The key to a 1 piece butt is either well seasoned, slowly tapered blank , or the same process to a cored 1 piece blank.

After you have the properly seasoned blank then weight is the next hurdle. Uncored Maple butts without weight bolts are going to come in at 13-14 oz. , and with 4+oz. shafts will be nicely forward balanced.

017-3.jpg

Last edited:

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member

Bill Hagen made some one piece but cues and he also would rip the wood lengthwise, run the pieces through a jointer and reverse the direction before gluing the pieces back together. He felt this would help with the warping he experienced with the solid one piece but frankly I've seen several of those warp also. Bill did some amazing pantograph work with his home built pantograph.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
I play with a solid birdseye butt cue. Melamine joint collar & it plays great, feels great. The one piece cues are awesome if built correctly. By correctly I mean stable wood, good weight and good balance.

icem3n

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After you have the properly seasoned blank then weight is the next hurdle. Uncored Maple butts without weight bolts are going to come in at 13-14 oz. , and with 4+oz. shafts will be nicely forward balanced.

017-3.jpg

Will a Macassar ebony be stable enough to be made into a one-piece butt?

And can it be made to weight aprox 16.3oz?

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Bill Hagen made some one piece but cues and he also would rip the wood lengthwise, run the pieces through a jointer and reverse the direction before gluing the pieces back together. He felt this would help with the warping he experienced with the solid one piece but frankly I've seen several of those warp also. Bill did some amazing pantograph work with his home built pantograph.

One of my all-time fave makers.

weiru

99% Luck, 1% Skill
Silver Member
yes. one-piece play very solid and well.

i have a Rick Howard one-piece rosewood for sale. it plays a ton

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have built dozens of them over the years. Wood selection and slow turning is the key to success.