One pocket ghost!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Here's one way.

Break hard and then take ball in hand anywhere on the table. If you run eight, you win, otherwise the ghost wins the rack. Race to five.

If you find this match is uneven, you can give or get a spot. If the ghost is giving you 10-6, then you must run six to win. If you are giving the ghost 10-6, you must run 10 to win.

Find a fair game and may the better man (or ghost) win.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Here's one way.

Break hard and then take ball in hand anywhere on the table. If you run eight, you win, otherwise the ghost wins the rack. Race to five.

If you find this match is uneven, you can give or get a spot. If the ghost is giving you 10-6, then you must run six to win. If you are giving the ghost 10-6, you must run 10 to win.

Find a fair game and may the better man (or ghost) win.
This is a good practice for the running balls part of the game, but how can I practice what the rest of the game is about: playing (and escaping from) safeties? I think playing both sides might be the thing for that.

pj
chgo

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Allen Hopkins ran 45(3 games,no miss) for the $$$ on more than one occasion. Dick Lane told me once that depending on the table AH was even money doing this. GETCHA some. That's sporty.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
This is a good practice for the running balls part of the game, but how can I practice what the rest of the game is about: playing (and escaping from) safeties? I think playing both sides might be the thing for that.

pj
chgo

Absolutely. When I’m practicing, 90% of the time I’m just playing both sides in one pocket.

I’ve only played 4 or 5 different people (and watched plenty of pro matches) but I’m far from helpless in the game, just from playing both sides and finding out what works, what are my weaknesses in execution and escape, what positions really suck lol and how best to get someone there.

I use whiteboard chalk to mark positions of balls now for “serious” situations and play them over and over to find the best way.

I’ve seen people saying that you can’t really practice 1p by yourself but I love it. I sometimes find myself 3 or 4 hours in without realizing it. Playing a lockup safe on yourself is awesome. I consider it a serious victory when I force myself to take a foul.

Unfortunately this has made a noticeable impact on my other games :rolleyes: I have to make myself practice the other games since most people want to play them instead

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Absolutely. When I’m practicing, 90% of the time I’m just playing both sides in one pocket.

I’ve only played 4 or 5 different people (and watched plenty of pro matches) but I’m far from helpless in the game, just from playing both sides and finding out what works, what are my weaknesses in execution and escape, what positions really suck lol and how best to get someone there.

I use whiteboard chalk to mark positions of balls now for “serious” situations and play them over and over to find the best way.

I’ve seen people saying that you can’t really practice 1p by yourself but I love it. I sometimes find myself 3 or 4 hours in without realizing it. Playing a lockup safe on yourself is awesome. I consider it a serious victory when I force myself to take a foul.

Unfortunately this has made a noticeable impact on my other games :rolleyes: I have to make myself practice the other games since most people want to play them instead
Have you looked at any of the "WWYD" ("What Would You Do?") threads over on onepocket.org? Lots to learn there about how to handle specific situations. One Pocket Ghost (a person) posts most of those, with pics from actual games (sometimes with me).

pj
chgo

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
How do you play the ghost in one hole?
There are a few versions of one pocket shootout, which may or may not be what you mean. Shootout seems to be the standard one pocket solo game.

Version I, which is how it was played at Derby City: Break however you want and then start with cue ball anywhere. See how many you can make in 5 racks. The best I've heard of is 72. I believe Gabe Owen won with a 60 or 61 one year. (I'm not sure about the rules for scratching on the break.)

Version B, which is how Nick Varner played it: Break however you want. The cue ball remains in position, but a scratch on the break is simply owing a ball for that rack and you get cue ball behind the line. Varner played to scratch on the break and I think a ball would be spotted if he cleared the table. Shoot five racks to see how many you make in total. Hopkins didn't play for a scratch when he was trying to run all 15, he played from where the cue ball ended which was roughly between the side pockets.

I've heard that when the game was introduced around San Francisco the better players lost trying for 20 in five racks. Top players are about even money at 30-35 without ball in hand.

You need to have a rule for what to do with balls made in dead pockets on the break. I don't know what the "official" rule is but I think it's reasonable to spot them immediately after the break. Extraneous balls pocketed during the run are spotted when the table is cleared for that rack.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Have you looked at any of the "WWYD" ("What Would You Do?") threads over on onepocket.org? Lots to learn there about how to handle specific situations. One Pocket Ghost (a person) posts most of those, with pics from actual games (sometimes with me).

pj
chgo

I haven’t been over there in a while but I will check that out, thanks. I have a few pictures myself of situations that were beyond me.

Mr. Wiggles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Bob, and all others. I have played both sides and that’s ok, but just looking for other ways. One pocket is really growing it seems, and our own Chip Compton just took down a great player in Texas.

highkarate

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Version B, which is how Nick Varner played it: Break however you want. The cue ball remains in position, but a scratch on the break is simply owing a ball for that rack and you get cue ball behind the line. Varner played to scratch on the break and I think a ball would be spotted if he cleared the table. Shoot five racks to see how many you make in total. Hopkins didn't play for a scratch when he was trying to run all 15, he played from where the cue ball ended which was roughly between the side pockets.

I've heard that when the game was introduced around San Francisco the better players lost trying for 20 in five racks. Top players are about even money at 30-35 without ball in hand.

This is the way most people gamble on it. Very good players ned to go to 21, Alex needs to go to 40. An important distinction to make is that you have to choose your pocket before the break. Typically people break by shooting softly into the 1st ball full on and drawing back just a little bit. I thought I found a great break hitting the 2nd ball and drawing into the side rail, but it didn't hold up for the cash. Getting a shot after the break can be very tough

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is the way most people gamble on it. Very good players ned to go to 21, Alex needs to go to 40. An important distinction to make is that you have to choose your pocket before the break. Typically people break by shooting softly into the 1st ball full on and drawing back just a little bit. I thought I found a great break hitting the 2nd ball and drawing into the side rail, but it didn't hold up for the cash. Getting a shot after the break can be very tough

Hopkins breaks softly down the side and comes two rails out to the middle of the table. I think that guarantees him a first shot and a few loose balls.

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Allen Hopkins ran 45(3 games,no miss) for the $$$ on more than one occasion. Dick Lane told me once that depending on the table AH was even money doing this. GETCHA some. That's sporty.

My road partner and I were in Barry Behrman's old room on cheapeake blvd in norfolk va in the 70's. I watched Hopkins shoot at 35 in 5 racks ( no ball in hand ). Then he shot at 42 in 5 racks. We left and heard the next day he took 3-2 on the money and bet that 1 out of 5 racks he would run all 15 balls. He broke the pool room. No ball in hand.
ps
In about 1990 in va, Max Eberle did run all 15 balls in 1 rack. He used 7 racks to do it.
Pretty sporty !
pss ? i don't know lol
Both Alan and Max were using the old centennial balls on 21oz rubber backed wool cloth !
Again, pretty sporty

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I finally learned how to break and messed with the run challenge...10, 6, 6, 1, 9

No bih after the break.

If I keep it up I might turn pro.