One pocket scenario, how would you play it?

OneArmed

the agony of billiards...
Silver Member
This particular situation came up last night. Any thoughts on how to proceed?

Situation is that you need both balls, your opponent only needs one. Your pocket is the top left one, opponent is bottom left. The 1 ball is straight in and the cue is frozen on the rail. 2nd ball is in the jaws of the pocket up table.

CueTable Help



Several ideas were discussed by some 1hole players...

1. pocket the 1 ball, then take a foul and push the cue to the rail. spot up the ball you made and battle it out.

2. take the 1 ball, then pocket 2 ball up top, leave frozen on end rail, and hope opponent doesn't drop the spotted 2 ball.

3. take the 1 ball, then try to corner hook while taking 2nd ball

4. take the 1 ball, then go 2 rails and leave a bank on the spotted 2 ball.

5. drop 1 ball, then scratch on the 2 ball leaving both balls spotted up with opponent ball in hand with a chance for the classic 2 ball shot.

Your thoughts?
 
My decision would rely on my opponents ability.
I like option 3 the most. Pocketing the 1 ball and then the 2 ball trying for the corner hook seems good. If you succeed fine if not and you scratch and thats ok too. If you don't scratch he will have a very difficult shot with the possibility of selling out the ball on the spot. I don't like pocketing the 1 ball and just giving it back.

However if the option to go rail first on the 2 ball to move the cue ball further down the rail that would be the shot. From the diagram it doesn't look like this is possible. Also one might try to pocket the 2 ball and draw the cue ball further to the right. (this is very risky, might lose complete control of the cue ball). This also might not be an option because the 2 ball seems to be in very deep.

Again for big money and a very good opponent I guess I would pocket the 1 ball and then take an intentional scratch. I'll take my chances from there.
 
I think the closest to my thoughts are your #4. Make the 1 ball, which should give you ample room to shoot the 2 ball and leave your opponent near the corner opposite the 2 ball... either a difficult cut or a difficult bank... neither being a very high percentage shot.
 
I can't tell from your layout whether you have the 2ball so deep into the jaws that the points of the pocket can't be avoided.....

If the pocket points CAN be avoided, then the basic One Pocket shot here, that pretty much all good One Pocket players shoot in this spot, is....After you've rolled in the 1ball, you would then pocket the 2ball by shooting side rail first (hitting the 2 as full as possible), than the cue ball should rebound to the bottom rail and finally end up about one diamond up on your opponents side rail.
 
Last edited:
1 Pocket

I agree with dabarbr, I would definitely make the 1 and hope to corner hook my opponent. It would be very difficult to corner hook em but not too many players are going to like making the case ball doing a spot shot from a corner pocket. It is not a comfortable bridge hand situation.
 
1 Pocket Ghost said:
I can't tell from your layout whether you have the 2ball so deep into the jaws that the points of the pocket can't be avoided.....

If the pocket points CAN be avoided, then the basic One Pocket shot here, that pretty much all good One Pocket players shoot in this spot, is....After you've rolled in the 1ball, you would then pocket the 2ball by shooting side rail first (hitting the 2 as full as possible), than the cue ball should rebound to the bottom rail and finally end up about one diamond up on your opponents side rail.

yes it is deep in the pocket, rail first not really an option. that does change it quite a bit.
 
I would

do option #2.

Consentrating on freezing it up pretty close to the middle.

It would take a pretty sporty player to take that shot and make it.

Again, I am not the best player, I do enjoy, but for me, 1 pocket is game to win you must make LESS mistakes. Therefore, I take little risk, and if I do leave a shot its a low percentage shot.

Just my way,

Ken
 
OneArmed said:
yes it is deep in the pocket, rail first not really an option. that does change it quite a bit.

Finally I have something new to add to a discussion. Practice this shot a bit and see how it works out for you. If I remember right I think I lucked into this shot one time playing nine ball and learned how to incorporate it whenever the right situation came up.

After pocketing the one, shoot the cue ball into the right point using center ball or a little below center. Cue ball comes off the point at the angle necessary to pocket the two and send the cue ball back uptable towards your pocket. Ideally, the cue ball will rest near the rail between your pocket and the first diamond.
 
Pull out my Larry Nevel stroke, pocket the 1 and draw the cue 1 rail into the 2. Then back cut the 2 in for the win. :)
 
main problem I see with pocketing the one and going for the corner hook on the two is that the cueball is froze to the rail so you dont have a good opportunity here to bring the cueball closer downtable to the 2 which would make the corner hook try an easier attempt. IMO you have as much of a chance of scratching as corner hooking your opponent. If you scratch you got the double ball spot shot which for a good player is a GREAT opportunity to score or at the very least leave the balls extremely tough for your next incoming shot. If you dont scratch and dont corner hook, then your opponent has a good look at the 2 to cut it from long distance for the win.

I like making the one, then going rail first and trying to make the 2 and leave the cueball somewhere on my opponents side, hopefully near froze to a rail. This still gives my opponent a good look at a 1 rail bank but imo this is the highest percentage shot i have towards leaving my opponent a difficult shot.
 
I just read the thread replies and if the 2 is so deep in the pocket that you cant go rail first, then how about this:

make the one and then lightly tap the cueball one time and while its rolling hit it again with a draw stroke and make the two. Foul and the 2 spots up with another ball and the opponent is in the jaws. This shot could create some arguments I think though, esp if the bet is high :duck:
 
subdude1974 said:
Pull out my Larry Nevel stroke, pocket the 1 and draw the cue 1 rail into the 2. Then back cut the 2 in for the win. :)
PRetty good move, if you can get away w/ it:eek: !!
 
1 Pocket Ghost said:
I can't tell from your layout whether you have the 2ball so deep into the jaws that the points of the pocket can't be avoided.....

If the pocket points CAN be avoided, then the basic One Pocket shot here, that pretty much all good One Pocket players shoot in this spot, is....After you've rolled in the 1ball, you would then pocket the 2ball by shooting side rail first (hitting the 2 as full as possible), than the cue ball should rebound to the bottom rail and finally end up about one diamond up on your opponents side rail.

That is what I would try to do.

And, if like some have said, the two is too deep to go rail first and hit it full enough to pull the shot off as described above, I'd probably still try to do it and end up leaving the guy a straight in spot shot.

Unfortunately, those that know my game know I'm not kidding. I tend to talk myself into things that I shouldn't.
 
We shouldn't always listen to ourselves....lol

Alex Kanapilly said:
Unfortunately, those that know my game know I'm not kidding. I tend to talk myself into things that I shouldn't.


Alex........You're not alone in that, we all do it.....One really common shot where I, and most of us do it, is shooting a bank where we know there's a kiss.....We stubbornly try it anyway hoping the PoolGods will 'take away the kiss for us'.....What happens next of course is, we get the kiss, than according to our temperament, we either laugh/sneer at ourself :), or do a FabioPetroni and bang our head on the table.......:eek:
 
Alex Kanapilly said:
That is what I would try to do.

And, if like some have said, the two is too deep to go rail first and hit it full enough to pull the shot off as described above, I'd probably still try to do it and end up leaving the guy a straight in spot shot.

Unfortunately, those that know my game know I'm not kidding. I tend to talk myself into things that I shouldn't.

I think you ahould win solely based on your correct use of to/ two/ too.:wink: :grin-square:
 
one pocket ghost

what is wrong or the downside to making the one. then the two with a scatch and have two balls on the spot? your shot the opponent has a free bank. if he makes it he wins. with two on the spot he'll move balls toward his side but not likely be able to win
 
bbb said:
what is wrong or the downside to making the one. then the two with a scatch and have two balls on the spot? your shot the opponent has a free bank. if he makes it he wins. with two on the spot he'll move balls toward his side but not likely be able to win

there is a shot that can be made that sometimes drops a ball in your pocket with 2 on the spot. i personally don't like giving that shot either
 
OneArmed said:
there is a shot that can be made that sometimes drops a ball in your pocket with 2 on the spot. i personally don't like giving that shot either
Sometimes it will drop both balls. Some consider it a bad shot if you only need one ball as it can get both balls into play.
 
Back
Top