One pocket shot what do you do?

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess I did what a lot of ya'll would do. I two-railed the 4 (I was just hoping to put it by my pocket) and then made the 13.

i would have tried to bank it short (i guess it'd be short) i'd say about a half a diamond above your pocket. if you'd hit the 13 funny it could have back fired on you

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
i would have tried to bank it short (i guess it'd be short) i'd say about a half a diamond above your pocket. if you'd hit the 13 funny it could have back fired on you

I agree the 4 is the right shot, but I don't think there's any reason to worry about hitting the 13.

CueTable Help

pj
chgo

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
kiss

One temptation that I have seen players succumb to is trying something flashy and cagey when there is something more effective but mundane available. It does feel good to come up with a creative solution, but this is one situation where good ol' fashion shooting the ball in the hole is best.

I cut the 13 in here with pocket speed. I am aware that if I undercut the ball I could leave a cross bank, and perhaps would favor the thin side, but I think I go all out to make this. I don't think you sell out much, and you aren't adding any balls into play. It also depends on your skill set. This is a shot that I practice a lot and feel confident that I will hit is reasonably well.

Also, I don't disagree with the two railer on the four ball. It isn't a bad shot. I just don't think that shooting the 13 is a sucker shot.

Last edited:

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First off, I've always shot at the foot pockets, not the head:grin: I shot the 13 twice, scratched the first time and made it the second. Note: no warm up and out of stroke. My first inclination is to two rail the four, though, I think it's the safer shot.

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
Since I have 6, I play the 13. I only need 2, and there are 2 down table. You might choose the safety noted below.

IMO, you only shoot the 4 when you need 3 or more, since pushing it down is nothing more than a third ball in play for your opponent. The advantage of pushing the 4 down is less than the disadvantage of leaving 3 for your opponent to score -which would even the game. IMO, you shouldn't fall for the 4 ball 2-railer. It's a potential (big time) loser for you.

And, when you are playing for the big cheese, you might even consider pushing the 13 up table 2 rails and laying the cue ball on the bottom rail, especially if you don't like the cut on the 13. This removes another ball from play (the up town game) and really works to your advantage.

-td

Last edited:

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since I have 6, I play the 13. I only need 2, and there are 2 down table. You might choose the safety noted below.

IMO, you only shoot the 4 when you need 3 or more, since pushing it down is nothing more than a third ball in play for your opponent. The advantage of pushing the 4 down is less than the disadvantage of leaving 3 for your opponent to score -which would even the game. IMO, you shouldn't fall for the 4 ball 2-railer. It's a potential (big time) loser for you.

And, when you are playing for the big cheese, you might even consider pushing the 13 up table 2 rails and laying the cue ball on the bottom rail, especially if you don't like the cut on the 13. This removes another ball from play (the up town game) and really works to your advantage.

-td

Thank you, you made me realize how long it's been since I played serious One Pocket, or any One Pocket, for that matter! If I'm playing a lot and and am in stroke, I go for the 3 every time. I had forgotten that one of my last trips back to NY I played almost the same shot tied 7-7 two days in a row, for the win.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member

-td

I think the 4 is already in play (as a long bank) and might complicate safety play by giving your opponent two directions in which to shoot. Moving it to near your pocket might be an offensive/defensive move. So I (a one pocket nobody) would probably try it, especially since it leaves me fairly safe with an improved followup shot on the 13.

pj
chgo

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member

CueTable Help

Moving it to near your pocket might be an offensive/defensive move.
YIKES!!

The golden rule of 1-hole is move balls uptable when you are ahead and NEVER never move balls down table.

When you are ahead, and don't have a high percentage score, move something up table or play safe. Pushing the 4 around might be good for fun, but for real money, you have to be pissed at your wallet to give your opponent the chance to get 3 - when you can take at least 1 away and possibly all 3 with a good safe.

Without actually setting this up on my table, here is the shot I would probably shoot if it was my money on the line.

CueTable Help

In this situation, if my opponent shot at the 4-ball when he only needed 2, I would think I was getting hustled or I had the nuts.

[edit] Unless you got a really good (almost perfect) shot on the 2 railer, you are probably going to return to the table looking at something like this.

CueTable Help

It's nowhere near as good as moving balls away, and YOU banking at one at a time for the win.

AND there are a lot of worse things that can happen if you don't get a great shot on the 4.

I still think there is NO REASON to push another ball down table - it gives your opponent too many options.

-td

Last edited:

Worminator

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I believe it all depends on your skill level and banking ability. I would play the 2 railer on the 4 and give myself a chance to get out. I think the worst I would do would be to leave the 4 on the bottom rail forcing my opponent to play defense. If I wasn't feeling the 2 railers that day, I agree with moving the 13 up-table.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
In this situation, if my opponent shot at the 4-ball when he only needed 2, I would think I was getting hustled or I had the nuts.

If I'm your opponent it's definitely the nuts.

It's nowhere near as good as moving balls away, and YOU banking at one at a time for the win.

[...]

I still think there is NO REASON to push another ball down table - it gives your opponent too many options.

I know this is good advice, and of course I've heard it before, but I hope it's a little overstated because I'm impatient with the grinding game. I need to look for opportunities to press the issue - and so I need to learn which adventures are worth it.

Thanks,

pj
chgo

Last edited:

JonnyB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you all for explaining your choices and reasons. I need to learn how to think 1-pocket someday and this helps. Good thread.

JonnyB.

1 Pocket Ghost

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had this shot earlier, I was at 6 (pocket B). What shot do you shoot? I was playing against a guy who i consider a better shot then me so always thinking defense. I did get out but curious what other people would do. I haven't played much one pocket so still learning and would like to see how others would play this

CueTable Help

daphish........As others have posted, the 2-railer on the 4, and cutting the 13 in at pocket speed are both excellent shots.....The one reason to possibly favor the 2-railer here, is because of the possible scratch if you accidentally hit the 13 too full when cutting it - which, needless to say, would be a disaster.

- Ghost

Eddie Robin

Eddie Robin
Silver Member
You might not like my opinions but you gotta like the story!

Depends on good you are at the 2-cushion bank as compared to the 13-B cut shot. Would also be nice to know how tough the pockets. Some would be quite good at one shot and not very good at at the other.

Reminds me of the time Nick Fochiano pushed his way through the crowd to begin pulling a very drunk Eddie Taylor away from one of the tougher 5x10s at the 711 room. Nicky was scolding Eddie for he had heard that Taylor was betting even-money with all the rail-birds on two-cushion banks while he was in such an inebriated condition. I can recall that it was even raining at the time. Taylor, while managing to resist, holding on with one hand gripped around a cushion, started pleading in a drunken whining cry, "aw Nicky, can't ya just let me stay 'til I miss one?

Yes, this is a true story and there's a little more to it; however ya got most of it here. Can't recall if it is in one of my published books or one yet to get done.

For a better game of one-pocket,

Eddie Robin

daphish1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think what i like about 1 pocket is all the different options you can have in any situation. not sure if i layed it out exactly how it layed but the bank on the four wasn't too hard and with some english I was able to twist it on the right path. I don't get to play against a bunch of better one pocket players so its nice to get others insight on what might be the correct shot (although, if it works then i guess thats the correct shot for the time).