One pocket shot what do you do?

daphish1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had this shot earlier, I was at 6 (pocket B). What shot do you shoot? I was playing against a guy who i consider a better shot then me so always thinking defense. I did get out but curious what other people would do. I haven't played much one pocket so still learning and would like to see how others would play this

CueTable Help

Salamander

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd bank the 4 two rails toward your pocket, taking care not to bank into either of the footspot balls. Also, bank hard enough to reach the bottom rail, so as not to leave any cross bank.

Deadon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I were you, I'd roll the 4 into the jaws of the top left pocket and leave the cb on the rail. I would cut the 13 at my pocket.

If you bank the 4, you put enough balls in play to allow the opponent to tie the score. I believe its best to put the pressure on him to deal with the 13 and 9, that is with your suggested tactic.

Last edited:

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had this shot earlier, I was at 6 (pocket B). What shot do you shoot? I was playing against a guy who i consider a better shot then me so always thinking defense. I did get out but curious what other people would do. I haven't played much one pocket so still learning and would like to see how others would play this

CueTable Help

being the over aggressive 1 pocket chump that i am i'd try to cut the 13 in. either that or i'd bank the 4 two rails toward pocket b and follow the cue ball into the rail and toward the upper left to try to leave the 13 and the 9 to block the 4 (which is hopefully near the pocket)

Gum9Ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two options.

CueTable Help

You have two options that I see or would contemplate: play the 13 off of the 9 or two rail the 4. Of the two I would probably play the 13 off of the 9 with speed to leave the cb on the bottom rail.

1on1pooltournys

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

CueTable Help

I'd bank the 13 with low right one rail, cross corner toward my hole and send the cue ball 3 rails and try and give it a chance to get behind the 4, which would help to protect the 13 if it is remotely close to your hole, which it should be or do not shoot the shot. I guess it just depends on you and how comfortable you are shooting this shot. It is a good one if you are good at it.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd bank the 13 with low right one rail, cross corner toward my hole and send the cue ball 3 rails and try and give it a chance to get behind the 4, which would help to protect the 13 if it is remotely close to your hole, which it should be or do not shoot the shot. I guess it just depends on you and how comfortable you are shooting this shot. It is a good one if you are good at it.

I"d like to see you pull that off

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From the position of the balls it looks like you can take a pot shot at your hole with the 13 ball with low outside to position the cue ball on the short rail next to his pocket. If you make the 13 ball then you have a bank on the 4 for the win. If you fail to pocket the 13 ball then maybe all you're giving up is difficult straight back bank on the four to his pocket.

But depending on how I would feel at that moment the two railer on the 4 is also a good option even though I'm putting another ball in play for him. If you get the 4 close to your pocket then you have him gouging and he could give you a bank on the 9 or 13.

Sometimes you'll get beat in situations like this by being to passive. Almost like the prevent defense in football.

P.S. or like sitting on the ball when they have a big lead

Last edited:

jongreve

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm fairly inexperienced at one pocket, and never have played the "long end" version. But I'd still like to 2-rail the 4 ball close to my pocket giving him a chance to sell out.... maybe... you never did mention his score....

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
All who said two rail the four I agree with. You might make it and win the game from there. You want to leave the cue ball on the other end rail so it is hard for your opponent to clear it away without leaving you an easy cross corner bank on the thirteen or nine ball.

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I were you, I'd roll the 4 into the jaws of the top left pocket and leave the cb on the rail. I would cut the 13 at my pocket.

If you bank the 4, you put enough balls in play to allow the opponent to tie the score. I believe its best to put the pressure on him to deal with the 13 and 9, that is with your suggested tactic.

Personally I have never played this tight, BUT at times I wish I could.:D

My first thought on this layout also was the score, which ALWAYS "should" be the first thought. Like others have said....in this situation, I'm banking the 4 taking care to bank it wide not to leave a return bank.

G.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All who said two rail the four I agree with. You might make it and win the game from there. You want to leave the cue ball on the other end rail so it is hard for your opponent to clear it away without leaving you an easy cross corner bank on the thirteen or nine ball.

i don't feel like athe worlds biggest 1 pocket chump ever now that i see other people choosing the same shot i liked

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member

CueTable Help

without looking at the responses, 2 rail the 4 and draw down table some?

Harold Smith

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At first glance, I said bank the 4 2 rails leave the cb on the top rail and beg him to try a cross bank on anything at that end of the table. I haven't changed my mind on that shot. The others who want to bank the 13 and go 3 rails with the cb and the player who wanted to leave the cb down on the other end of the table are the guys I want to play. You never leave that close of a bank if you miss, Always leave long.---Smitty

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really like cutting the 13 in pocket speed. With just a high ball the cue ball should end up somewhere around the brunswick on the end rail. I would not attempt outside english on this cut for fear of an inaccurate hit and scratching in my opponents pocket.

Score according to original post is 6 shooter, 4 opponent.

I'm a conservative one pocket player of C+/B- ability. If you 2 rail the 4, you left 2 neutral balls in play (the 13 and 9) and possibly introduced a 3rd ball depending on how well you hit the 4. If I was the opponent and the 4 was 2 railed and did not jar up, I'd probably pocket the 1 next and try to freeze the shooter on the 2 or 3. Now the 13 and 1 balls are on the spot, 9 is wide open, and the 4 is down there somewhere, and if the shooter makes a mistake soon, it can be an even game.

That is another reason for shooting the 13, because its on the spot, which makes it easier for the opponent to get and keep more balls in play.

CueTable Help

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really like cutting the 13 in pocket speed. With just a high ball the cue ball should end up somewhere around the brunswick on the end rail. I would not attempt outside english on this cut for fear of an inaccurate hit and scratching in my opponents pocket.

Score according to original post is 6 shooter, 4 opponent.

I'm a conservative one pocket player of C+/B- ability. If you 2 rail the 4, you left 2 neutral balls in play (the 13 and 9) and possibly introduced a 3rd ball depending on how well you hit the 4. If I was the opponent and the 4 was 2 railed and did not jar up, I'd probably pocket the 1 next and try to freeze the shooter on the 2 or 3. Now the 13 and 1 balls are on the spot, 9 is wide open, and the 4 is down there somewhere, and if the shooter makes a mistake soon, it can be an even game.

That is another reason for shooting the 13, because its on the spot, which makes it easier for the opponent to get and keep more balls in play.

CueTable Help

i don't know about that man. if you shoot the 1 ball and even if you freeze the cb to one of the other balls there's still an easy enough return safety and the guy that banked the 4 has at least 1 ball near his hole and you'd really have nothing to shoot at. all he'd have to do is be careful not to leave you a shot to move the 4 back uptable

daphish1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess I did what a lot of ya'll would do. I two-railed the 4 (I was just hoping to put it by my pocket) and then made the 13.