Open bridge

drv4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I first played pool as a kid, I naturally used an open bridge, it was easy with a small kid's hand. I just joined a league and I thought that maybe I wasn't a true pool player because I didn't ever shoot with a closed bridge. After watching a ton of pro pool players and Ronnie osullivan use an open bridge I feel justified. Anyways, if you're an open bridge kinda guy get in this thread and show some love for the best way to shoot pool!

FairladyZ

The Boss Stooge
Staff member
Silver Member
I can do it either way, but my stroke and accuracy seem much better with an open bridge.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good players swap back and forth all the time. The key to using an open bridge well is all in the grip...let the cue do the work. When you see someone's cue in the air they're gripping too tightly. I'm about 60% open, 40% closed...but always closed for draw shots or power strokes, for security.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good players swap back and forth all the time. The key to using an open bridge well is all in the grip...let the cue do the work. When you see someone's cue in the air they're gripping too tightly. I'm about 60% open, 40% closed...but always closed for draw shots or power strokes, for security.

Scott Lee

Relax, guy. Nobody is gonna steal your stroke. Send the security home.

Scratch~

Registered
Back in the early 90's when I "played" pool while in the Army, and had a closed bridge.
Fast forward to just a couple of years ago, I decided I needed a hobby, but after many years of manual labor, boxing/martial arts, neglect, and arthritis, I have no choice but to use an open bridge. The best I can do for a closed bridge now is what I heard referred to as a hook.
I thought I would never be able to play well until I started watching videos of professionals, who would also use an open one. That inspired hope, hope inspired desire, desire inspired a hell of a lot of boring, long, drawn out, drills!! LOL

Lumocolor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use both, open for most shots and closed if i have to use more power.

P.S. And i'm not that good...lol

eprince

Registered
I rarely use a closed bridge

Mainly use it as my rail bridge (cue on the rail, between first finger and tucked thumb) which I (at least on bar boxes) also use for the break. Even my jump bridge is an open bridge. Now, I do have about a dozen or so different styles of an open bridge, and the shot will dictate which version I use. I have been told I do an excellent job keeping my cue level, and while I am not by any means a professional, part of keeping the cue level is knowing how to set up your bridge properly, while also maintaining a straight stroke as well. I feel a closed bridge may be more secure, but I am not currently comfortable seeing my stroke finish with a closed bridge and also feel I am more careless with a closed bridge, taking certain things for granted, which is why I now almost exclusively use an open bridge. I have a lot to learn, as I have only been playing for about two years, but I am confident with where I am at currently.

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
I use open and closed bridges depending on the shot. Check out Darren Appleton if you get a chance to see him play and you'll see he uses an open bridge a lot.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Scott Lee

When I see top pros interviewed I never hear them asked the one question I would ask. I would like to pick Efren's brain as to which shots he uses open vs closed and a demonstration of it on the table.

I grew up using exclusively open and about the only time I used closed is on long draw shots. I just feel more confident with the open.

cmsmith9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played in league a couple years ago, had a pretty good NYC pro on the team. I was playing a match and it was hill hill and I dogged a straight in 9 ball. It was a pretty long shot, and I used an open bridge. After I missed the shot he said "why did you use an open bridge. Hill hill, tough shot and you have to deal with nerves and what not, should have used a closed bridge".

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
When I first played pool as a kid, I naturally used an open bridge, it was easy with a small kid's hand. I just joined a league and I thought that maybe I wasn't a true pool player because I didn't ever shoot with a closed bridge. After watching a ton of pro pool players and Ronnie osullivan use an open bridge I feel justified. Anyways, if you're an open bridge kinda guy get in this thread and show some love for the best way to shoot pool!
An open bridge offers many advantages. Use it with pride.

For a complete list of advantages, backed up by online video demonstrations, see the open vs. closed bridge resource page.

Enjoy,
Dave

SeabrookMiglla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
its preference, what you are comfortable with.

i use both, but i noticed some shots are easier with an open bridge and others with a closed bridge. i use a closed bridge a bit more than the open bridge. i dont think one is superior to the other, just preference. for snooker i use an open bridge a whole lot because you can sight the ball a lot easier. with a closed bridge i feel i have more control of the cue ball and shot in general.

poolguppy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im 90% open bridge, think i only use close bridge on long draw shots, but ovverrall open is more comfortable , but im a welder so my hands are pretty rough so that might have something to do with it

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I prefer open bridges and use them as often as I can regardless of the shot. When an open bridge is uncomfortable I use a closed bridge. I even break on my 9' table with an open bridge but I use a closed bridge to break on BB cause its more comfortable for me.

Str8PoolMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Open for Business...

I only use a closed bridge when breaking. And that's only because I tend to get a little wild. I have always felt more comfortable with an open bridge.

bcsnave

off the rail
Silver Member
The Draw Bridge

I use the draw bridge.

It's up ..its down

It's open ..it's closed

dependent on the shot and position...

different doors to get into the same room ...as long as you get there it doesn't make a difference

M.Tpockets

Registered
I use both . When I have a fine cut or a long shot that requires accuracy I use a open bridge closed for most other shots even the break I can break closed or open .

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
You'll see lots and lots of pros using it regularly. It's absolutely fine.
Once you have a secure and consistent stroke, you don't need that extra finger
involved to 'steer' the cue back on a straight course. It will go straight all by itself.

That being said, you gotta close sometimes for comfort or stability, like if half your hand
is hanging off the cushion or something.

staypuff578

Team Ramrod
Silver Member
I'm constantly back an forth between open and closed bridge. I guess it really depends on the shot or stroke needed. Power/draw, always closed. Basic shooting, open and relaxed.

Danimal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I shot for several years exclusively with an open bridge and found it helpful with aiming, especially if you have a low stance.

If you play with a lot of big stroke shots and get out on the edges of the cueball, it would behoove you to implement a closed bridge.

A good closed bridge has to adjust for the height of the shot on the cueball's vertical axis. It takes a lot of time to refine your closed bridges for each shot.

Many people abandon their closed bridges rather than working on perfecting them for varying situations.