Orcullo vs Woodward

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dennis has been a mentor to both Skyler and Justin. He is 41, but in the Filipino pool world that's not old. They don't lose their desire to play the game, like so many others do as they get older. For them it's a lifelong vocation. Efren stayed on top until about age 60 and Francisco is still cruising along at age 56. I can see Dennis playing high level pool for at least another 5-10 years. IMO he is still at the peak of his game. I don't see any chinks in the armor yet. He will still practice 8-10 hours a day if he is getting ready for a big event or an important match. There is no substitute for that type of dedication.

Yes,
"that's the difference too ….
"I recall reading,
when Earl was top shelf player- winning everything almost....
When Earl wasn't in a match he was usually on a practice table hitting balls-
Same with the Snooker players

raise1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hell I even remember hearing a story on a stream that like he was helping Skylar with his break by racking for him and letting him break over and over. Not sure if it was true or if this is entirely accurate but I’ve heard he actually helps players out.

I can tell you this fact because I was there: Jeffrey de Luna and Dennis were playing in the Omega World 10-Ball Qualifier. Dennis won the hot seat, Jeffrey struggled controlling his break and got sent to the B side midway in the afternoon. Dennis spent a long time helping and working with Jeff controlling his break, he even loaned Jeff his Jump cue and perhaps even his break cue. Jeff came all the way back and double-dipped Dennis in the Finals to win the Qualifier spot and all expenses paid trip.

All the Filipino players always help each other out even when they're competitors, from what I have witnessed.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dennis says he uses a Touch of Inside on tight tables with worn cloth

Hell I even remember hearing a story on a stream that like he was helping Skylar with his break by racking for him and letting him break over and over. Not sure if it was true or if this is entirely accurate but I’ve heard he actually helps players out.

Yes, this is true, I've worked with Dennis a few times and have friends that's taken several sessions with him.

Dennis is great for me to cross reference my techniques with, for instance:

Dennis says he uses a Touch of Inside on tight tables with worn cloth and he uses a Touch of Outside on loose pockets with new cloth. This makes sense and explains to me why I always favored tight pockets with worn cloth instead of tournament conditions.

He told me how he changes his bridge height for certain shots and even though it makes sense I personally don't do it that way. For this reason Dennis is a good player for me because we do a few things differently, but most of the Filipinos will be using TOI on tight tables with worn cloth, but they may not realize it.

One thing that must be taken into account is many of the champions aren't aware of the subtle things they are doing, so it's important to know how to find out if possible.

For instance, a friend that I've worked with has had a lot of success using The Touch of Inside and he ask SKY to shoot some balls and cue the exact center. He took pictures and sure enough, he was a "touch" to the inside and didn't realize it.

Go figure! :groucho:

The Game is the Teacher

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
20-14 Sky
On break

Anyone else hearing the knock sound on the stream?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Good start for Sky. Perhaps he can duplicate the magic he found at the 2019 Derby City Classic, where his win over Orcullo sealed the deal for Master of the Table. Even from here, I still think Dennis pulls this out.