Pagulayan 9 ball miss dafabet World Pool Masters

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are the troll dude. What are you talking about ? What 2 ? I'm with ME. Got no time for this chit.

Maybe you 2 read it wrong?[/QUOTE]

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
He already took the timeout on the 8-ball.
He just over-cut the ball.
Missed the pro-side.
Was probably guarding against the skid and allowed for it too much.

The announcer saying he's never seen something like that before is full of it.
We've seen so many misses on the money ball.
Gomez for one at the world 9 in Manila.
You saw Nick Varner miss an easy 6-inch putt to the side pocket against Sigel at the Bike. That was the worst miss I can imagine.
It happens.

I saw Efren miss a straight-in stop shot a foot out from the side pocket with BIH.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
He already took the timeout on the 8-ball.
He just over-cut the ball.
Missed the pro-side.
Was probably guarding against the skid and allowed for it too much.

The announcer saying he's never seen something like that before is full of it.
We've seen so many misses on the money ball.
Gomez for one at the world 9 in Manila.
You saw Nick Varner miss an easy 6-inch putt to the side pocket against Sigel at the Bike. That was the worst miss I can imagine.
It happens.

The one I'll never forget was when David Howard had a can't miss billiard from the two to the nine in the side pocket for the win at the Disneyland Open in 1986. I mean you literally couldn't miss it if you hit the two ball. David smiled, got down and miscued! Danny Medina had BIH for the win and 15K, big money back then. I didn't mind since I had staked Danny in the tournament. :wink:

I had already reconciled myself to second place and $7,500, still a good payday for maybe a total $500 outlay.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
When you sign up for a career playing pool you sign up for the whole experience.

That experience includes playing great, playing poorly, coming with amazing shots, dogging it, winning, and losing.

Players that fear playing bad/dogging/losing or that think they can somehow avoid this part of the experience only make things harder on themselves by creating pressure. Furthermore if those players only like the game when they are winning and playing great that means they are miserable much of the time.

Champions like Alex understand that it all comes with the territory. Champions can miss any shot under the heat. It doesn't mean he's not a champion, champions aren't determined by who never dogs it, but by who gets it done at all.

I always looked at it like this- if God came to you today and told you you'd be guaranteed a world championship title in 5 years, but along the way there would be a lot of painful losses and misses...would you be willing to walk that road? Alex and all the other champions have done just this. They're not great because they don't dog it, they're great because they don't let those misses or losses mean anything more than an inevitable stepping stone on the way to greatness. Anyone that thinks differently just doesn't understand what it means to be a competitor.

Congrats Alex for being a champion and for handling the downs like a champ as well. Legend.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I always looked at it like this-if God came to you today and told you you'd be guaranteed a world championship title in 5 years, but along the way there would be a lot of painful losses and misses...would you be willing to walk that road? Alex and all the other champions have done just this.

In fact, they've done even more than that, since none of them were ever guaranteed a world championship, or even winning a single tournament.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
You are the troll dude. What are you talking about ? What 2 ? I'm with ME. Got no time for this chit.

Maybe you 2 read it wrong?
[/QUOTE]

Pay attention. You and the other person giving him a hard time. Have you even read the thread?
Jason

Last edited:

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
What was it that singed his cue?

To me it looked like it was right in front of a really bright stage light that was shining up towards the ceiling. Strange that a light could cause it to catch fire though.

_______

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
The one I'll never forget was when David Howard had a can't miss billiard from the two to the nine in the side pocket for the win at the Disneyland Open in 1986. I mean you literally couldn't miss it if you hit the two ball. David smiled, got down and miscued! Danny Medina had BIH for the win and 15K, big money back then. I didn't mind since I had staked Danny in the tournament. :wink:

I had already reconciled myself to second place and $7,500, still a good payday for maybe a total $500 outlay.

Don't forget Buddy Hall "dogging it" in the COC - that has cost all pro players money from that time forward. The missed shots heard around the world.
Jason

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Don't forget Buddy Hall "dogging it" in the COC - that has cost all pro players money from that time forward. The missed shots heard around the world.
Jason

I thought he executed that shot perfectly. It had no chance of going in the way he shot it.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I have the reason for the miss. He was still thinking about his break cue starting on fire earlier in the match....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exTd7WOfTVQ

The miss on the match ball wasn't a first, but his cue starting on fire might be.

What was it that singed his cue?

Guessing it was those blue laser lights. Or perhaps pool cues, like drummers in Spinal Tap, can spontaneously combust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think it was from Alex's snooker experience in Britain.....
....he decided he liked ash cues. :cool:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pay attention. You and the other person giving him a hard time JAM. Have you even read the thread?
Jason

He and I both paid attention. Our opinions differ from yours, and that's okay for people to have different opinions. It is okay for more than one person to have the same opinion, yet it's not okay with you if their opinion differs from yours.

Maybe growing up is something you need to examine in your own house.

Instead of reading the entire thread, maybe there is more to a person's posts than one thread that could help form an opinion.

It's okay that you continue to target me on this forum over the years. I've accepted it. That's just your posting style. I am not the only one on the receiving end of your wrath, so I get it. It's not personal. It's more posting personality. And that's my opinion.

Have a great day!

Last edited:

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
It appears he was a little nervous, but he was more cold than anything. This is what he said afterwards, and he was shaking from being cold. I'm assuming the weather changed, or they cranked the AC ??

Either way, being a skinny guy, yeah, he might get a tad more cold than us Americans ;)

But he handed it well, conceded the match as he left a hangar for Jayson, and he knew at that point he deserved to lose, and there was not point in making him shoot it. Jayson did not celebrate winning like that, and he took the win just as gracious. Well played on both sides if you ask me.

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It appears he was a little nervous, but he was more cold than anything. This is what he said afterwards, and he was shaking from being cold. I'm assuming the weather changed, or they cranked the AC ??

Either way, being a skinny guy, yeah, he might get a tad more cold than us Americans ;)

But he handed it well, conceded the match as he left a hangar for Jayson, and he knew at that point he deserved to lose, and there was not point in making his shoot it. Jayson did not celebrate winning like that, and he took the win just as gracious. Well played on both sides if you ask me.

I agree. Jayson and Alex were both gentlemen. Very professional, the way it went down.