Philippine Adventure a.k.a Pool Heaven!

folkar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some great advice so far from fellow AZ'ers, The tapwater rule is a must, however most people tend to forget that in most resturaunts, the ice-cubes are made with tapwater also, so if you get a 'safe' bottled water, don't ask for a glass with ice.

Also be careful on your cue selection when traveling abroad, If you have Ivory in your cue, you may want to be extra careful and double check with customs rules on bringing items with Ivory through their customs. ( or back through ours )

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If there's anything I can do to help, find your way around, keep you safe and make your stay enjoyable here in the Philippines just let me know.

This is Edwin's last post on AzBilliards. How fitting it is to read that he was wanting to give of himself.

RIP, Edwin Reyes.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
he was quick to make that offer

This is Edwin's last post on AzBilliards. How fitting it is to read that he was wanting to give of himself.

RIP, Edwin Reyes.

Edwin was very quick to make that offer to anyone coming to the Philippines. However the offer was always made with great sincerity and often followed through on. I corresponded with Edwin regularly for awhile, less after he got wrapped up in the politics of pool in the Philippines. This morning when it is too late I realize it has been months since I talked with him.

Edwin's passion for pool, for making cues, and for living will be long remembered. Sad to think he is gone. As has already been said, it is a loss not only to the pool world but to the world.

Hu

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks so much for the advice. I will remember the no tap water rule. I'm not too big on funky food so I might be safe. I have been practicing though for the strange food. My pal Caroline has taken me to so many different places to try Asian cuisine...I think I am almost prepared!

Sarah

You have to try the lumpia and pancit. This is PI's gift to the world cuisine, IMO.

JesPiddlin

Designed by Mother Nature
Silver Member

RIP, Edwin Reyes.

I looked up his last post, too. Interesting that his last post was in a thread entitled "Philippine Adventure a.k.a Pool Heaven!" What sad news. Here is where to post about Edwin..... in the Hall of Fame thread... http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=139286

Sarah... Back to you... Good luck! Be sure to let us know when there is live streaming where you are playing. I know I'd be glad to watch. I'm loving this live-streaming stuff! I don't get to watch much, but when I can, it's great.

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Davao Death Squads

Source: http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/business/04/07/09/free-all-davao-death-squad-may-be-hired-p5000 [Retrieved 19 April 2009]

Recent cases show that it’s not anymore just the alleged criminals who may be targeted, however. The killings have become free for all.

It raised the risk that group members are already moonlighting as "guns-for-hire" in exchange for a payment of as low as P5,000.

HRW drew these conclusions based on its study of 28 cases of summary executions in Mindanao and interviews with the witnesses of the killings, families of victims, supposed death squad insiders, and local government officials.

It is so far the most comprehensive report on spate of summary executions in Davao City and the "copy cat" death squads that Davao Death Squad supposed to have inspired in nearby cities. The report also said some Davao City residents also expressed the belief that some death squad members have become guns-for hire.

Although the HRW was unable to document a case where a death squad member moonlighted to become a gun-for-hire, the group was able to talk to a rightist activist who is convinced that the death squads have expanded their operations to this activity.

"It costs only P5,000 to hire an assassin. If you owe more than P5,000 to someone, would you pay back, or would you hire a killer to take care of the lender? If you have a dispute, it’s so easy and cheap to eliminate the other," HRW quoted one rightist activist.

It is consistent with the minimum payment that other witnesses said the death squad members are paid for every "successful" operation or a hit.

The going rate ranges from a low of P5,000, if the target is a small fish, to a high of P100,000, if the target is a big fish.

The Philippines are an archipelago of 7100-plus islands set in the South China Sea. I hope the main cities are safe in this beautiful area of the world.

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
For me the Philippines will never be pool heaven again. :crying:
Gosh you are right... Last year we met during QC Invasion and he invited us to visit him on Mindanao next time, showed some pictures of himself and the family. :frown: