Please help identify pin

monchiwai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My friend is thinking to get a custom shaft but we cannot be sure what pin is on his Manzino... can any of you help?

Notice that there is a piece of white paper on the ivory joint, which may cover part of the pin on the photo.

We counted several times and there are 12 threads on it. Could this be a 3/8x12 (G10?) ??

Image075.jpg

Image074.jpg

Last edited:

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do a search here on Manzino cues for sale, I found one that said 11 tpi and two that said 12 tpi.

monchiwai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Michael Webb said:
Do a search here on Manzino cues for sale, I found one that said 11 tpi and two that said 12 tpi.

I did do a search and I got the same result too... that makes me even more confused.

Does anyone have Manzino's contact?

scottyr44

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Find a ruler and count the number or peaks or pitch of the thread over one inch or a half of a inch and x2 that will give you the tpi although to me it looks like a 11 and they can make 11 and a half.

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
> I have no input on what his pin is,but it being 3/8-12 wouldn't surprise me considering that 3/8-12 is actually a fairly common Acme thread,according to Machinery's Handbook. That would help,making it easier than normal to find taps and single-point tooling to make it.

On the other hand,that's not a true Acme,the flat on the top isn't the same as the flat in the bottom,or minor diameter. Tommy D.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Looks like an 10 or 11 tpi to me .
Not a 12. I don't know who makes a G10 12tpi joint screw. I've never heard of it.
Also the collar looks like it's been replaced. Are you sure the pin and collar are original?

CueCaps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
12 Tpi

I can't say for all of his cues. But,....
I made a Cap Set for a Bob Manzino Cue. It was 3/8" x 12 Thds.
I used a v thread. Still fits... But not for a playing Joint set-up.
I don't know how dynamic forces would affect.

Attachments

• BManzino105.jpg
    BManzino105.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 284

monchiwai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JoeyInCali said:
Looks like an 10 or 11 tpi to me .
Not a 12. I don't know who makes a G10 12tpi joint screw. I've never heard of it.
Also the collar looks like it's been replaced. Are you sure the pin and collar are original?

Pin and collar are original....

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't understand how anyone here can say "it looks like xyz thread". I understand you might have an educated guess if you know what the cuemaker in question typically uses.

But to be able to distinguish between an 11 TPI and a 12 TPI thread from the provided pictures is 100% impossible.

To the original poster, the TPI, or Teeth per inch, refers to how many of the tops of the "V" you count in exactly 1 inch. Its important to look at the top of the V and not the bottom. It does not matter how many V's in total you count on the exposed joint screw. Only how many are in exactly one inch.

To the original poster, please find a way to contact the cuemaker. I see you are in Tokyo. And you are requesting a custom shaft to be made. Are you ordering an aftermarket shaft, and just trying to match the threads? Or are you going to have someone match the joint collar as well? Have you decided who will do the work if its the latter case? If you are having the new shaft custom matched to the cue, then the person doing the job should be have the tools to properly measure the joint, and order any special taps if he does not have the tap necessary on hand.

monchiwai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Safety said:
Got his number off of EPT...hopefully its updated:

561-393-9146

Managed to talk to Mr. Manzino and he confirmed that it is a 3/8x12 pin and he did the pin cut by himself.

Thanks everyone for your help!
Chi Wai

monchiwai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Matching Shaft done!

Just an update...

after contacting Mr. Manzino, he emailed me some technical info on how the joint was built. I forwarded it to the cue maker and today my friend received his Shaft. It fits PERFECTLY into his Manzino butt.

Thumbs up to the cue maker! KJ :thumbup:

I will see my friend over the weekend... will update some pics if possible....

once again, GREAT WORK KJ !!!