Polishing a Turd

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice find, Wife and story Chopdoc. What were the odds of finding the shafts and running into Brad ? I have had a few of these same Miz cues over the years and like you appreciate various 70's through early 90's import finds and the research involved the cue's manufacturers history.

I ran into same info as you when researching these after I found one years ago. I was originally thinking possibly MIJ. Nice little 80-90 ish Imports.

-Kat,

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice find, Wife and story Chopdoc. What were the odds of finding the shafts and running into Brad ? I have had a few of these same Miz cues over the years and like you appreciate various 70's through early 90's import finds and the research involved the cue's manufacturers history.

I ran into same info as you when researching these after I found one years ago. I was originally thinking possibly MIJ. Nice little 80-90 ish Imports.

-Kat,

Thanks- It's fun. I dig the research.

What I think some don't get is that these are not the K-Mart "dove logo" or "The Miz" cues that so many are familiar with. Same company, very different level of cue. There is actually a lot of misinformation about them because of that common misunderstanding.

ru4au2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a great story....I have just purchased this SM-7 cue in pristine condition....I do not have the extra shaft...joint caps...or bag. I was wondering if you knew what you thought this cue might be worth...I am looking to either sell it or a possible trade for a joss... lucasi...etc. Any knowledge would be apreciated and I want to thank you in advance.
Thanks,
Scott

Attachments

• 20160822_132139.jpg
    20160822_132139.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 559

ru4au2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Other Pics

Pic #2 Mizerak SM-7

Attachments

• rsz_120160822_132206.jpg
    rsz_120160822_132206.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 529
  • rsz_120160822_132215.jpg
    rsz_120160822_132215.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 544
Last edited:

Str8PoolPlayer

“1966 500 SuperFast”
Silver Member
Dang, Doc, that right there is a thing of Be-euty. Sure looks like Adam's quality. Ya' did good, Son. I'm 74.

BTW - i originally thought this was another Hillary thread.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
when you buy a cue from overseas and then it plays solid
you really like and everyone is happy

why be upset because it came from america

it sill looks good and plays good

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a great story....I have just purchased this SM-7 cue in pristine condition....I do not have the extra shaft...joint caps...or bag. I was wondering if you knew what you thought this cue might be worth...I am looking to either sell it or a possible trade for a joss... lucasi...etc. Any knowledge would be apreciated and I want to thank you in advance.
Thanks,
Scott

Welcome to the forum. I expect you found your way here while researching the cue. Are you a player or cue aficionado in any way? Or is this just something you happened upon?

Value is always a touchy subject, and the market in general is weak.

One will generally find that cues such as these are not strongly valued in general, not strongly desirable to collectors, to be kind.

It looks like you found one in decent condition, some marks on the bottom of the butt cap, and some ferrule wear. Is it straight? That is very important.

It is, I believe, a later model than mine. I believe this because you have rounded points. Mine are razor sharp. Some people may perceive a lower value with the rounded points. This can also be seen in the Cobra Professional cues of the same manufacture. The earlier ones have sharp points.

In the end though, very few are really very interested in such cues.

I do like what deanoc says. If it looks good, plays good, and you like it, that's all that matters.

EDIT: I see you are interested in Joss. This cue might be worth what a decent late model Joss shaft is worth. That being said I might trade you a low end plain jane Joss for it. Lucasi? I have none. Probably never will. Unless it's purple...but that's an AZB thing. LOL!

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dang, Doc, that right there is a thing of Be-euty. Sure looks like Adam's quality. Ya' did good, Son. I'm 74.

BTW - i originally thought this was another Hillary thread.

Thanks. And with the additional shafts with new ferrules and tips it's a nice player.

Hillary? LOL! :thumbup:

ru4au2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am a player.
And thank you for allowing me to be here...I just started back playing and I was looking for a cue...this was my ex father in laws cue and has been in the case in the closet for 10 years....he died and I aquired it from his son....what type of joss...a cue that is a good player Plain Jane does not matter....The stick is straight and shoots well

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am a player.
And thank you for allowing me to be here...I just started back playing and I was looking for a cue...this was my ex father in laws cue and has been in the case in the closet for 10 years....he died and I aquired it from his son....what type of joss...a cue that is a good player Plain Jane does not matter....The stick is straight and shoots well

Just started back at it? Cool. Many of us took breaks and returned to the game. Stick around. It's a good community.

Regarding the cue, I sent you a Private Message with my email.

Nuts4Tascarellas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
careful

Be careful, I smelled a little Forney in the air. Look at the bottom of your shoe... you my need to clean off a little turd.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just so you know...graphite or fiberglass cues, like the ones you're talking about are NOT carbon fiber. Predator has the only true carbon fiber shaft out there, and it is phenomenal as a player. :D

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I bought my wife a cue like that from Sports Authority back in 2000 or so. It's a fairly nice cue for the price of $80 or so. Much better than the carbon fiber and aluminum monstrosities you find in shops these days. None of those cues' clown vomit paint schemes either.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just so you know...graphite or fiberglass cues, like the ones you're talking about are NOT carbon fiber. Predator has the only true carbon fiber shaft out there, and it is phenomenal as a player. :D

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I was just going back and looking at some of my old posts and found your comment.

Prophetic perhaps?

At any rate, there were carbon fiber cues and shafts before. As far as bigger names we can cite the McDermott Balicini cues from I believe the mid-nineties. http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=310901

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=306653

But of course they were quite different and not of the high technology of the modern CF cues...but they were CF.

J0HN0

Registered
Forget polishing, apparently rolling them in glitter is the way to go...

That's a nice cue, if it plays well and looks as good as it does, then who cares where it came from (unless you're just into the research), refreshing to read about someone not blindly indulging in brand snobbery. Good post :)