Pool Hall Junkies

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The middle school community center hustle he pulled at the end. “I just paid to take your shot. Now it’s my shot.” I’d love to see Billy Thorpe try that on Tony Cohan this weekend. The same guy that authored the lion speech couldn’t come up with a better resolution to the climax than that? I don’t need realism but I need something better than that. I don’t get sticking up for this movie. Its bad.

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I, for one, think Poolhall Junkies is a great movie. Before that film, I never knew that most chicks with fake tits involved in boating accidents do not drown. I'm now convinced that it's the greatest invention in human history!

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just watched this one . Would have liked to have seen some pros from the past but didn’t spot any
Popcorn flix on YouTube has several of the movies mentioned in this thread

There were some. For starters the slut's husband is tennessee tarzan mike massey.

Hu

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
There is a newish pool movie called Walkaway Joe. Our own JoeyA was the pool technical director and had a small part in it. He has been technical director on one or two more, I forget the names at the moment.

Another short had a very vampy vampire in it. Might have been a twilight zone episode too, I don't remember.

There are more pool movies out there most just as well forgotten.

Hu

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Alison Eastwood was good.

Mars was standard.

Lex Luthor was in it

Keno from TMNT2

I think the numbers guy too.

Whoever does casting for pool movies is top tier.

I always needed more of the black guy with the speech.

Pool Hall Junkies 2: Addiction Abuse

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
Who is this Toupee Jay character they speak of in the first couple minutes of the movie!!??
He didn't scout me! :):)

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All pool movies make me cringe.

I just don’t and never will respect serious gamblers. Sorry.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member

The movies tend to be pretty terrible. On the other hand, wagering on a pool game seems far more responsible than betting on things you cant affect the outcome of.

I think of it like the old Clint Eastwood/Lee Marvin movie, Paint Your Wagon. One of my favorite lines came when Lee Marvin is warning the young settler not to play cards with Rotten Luck Willie. The young man said "Sir I never gamble." To which Lee replied, "Neither does Rotten Luck Willie."

My main gambles were the small businesses I opened. The only times I bet over a hundred thousand. You yourself gamble both time and money designing devices and software. Considering that it is funny to read you don't respect gamblers.

Are we to take it that you don't respect yourself?

Hu

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Gamblers or hustlers? Just curious if that extends to not respecting players like Shane VanBoening, Dennis Orcollo, Efren Reyes, Tony Chohan, Fedor Gorst, etc. for their history of serious money games.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Are you a lamb or lion? With all the new events it will be more proper to say are you a regional champion

You hustled my boss. I always hoped someone would say that to about what I did.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member

Real life doesn't translate well to film. Car movies have people shifting gears 8000 times. Any "realistic" pool movie would be insanely boring to the average spectator. Watching some guy get run over with no trick shots. Or two gamblers woofing at eachother with no intention to play? Who the f. is going to watch that? People don't really watch pool and it's tough to make it engaging for a wider audience. Newer pool movies tend to be focused too much on the game and not enough on the stakes and the characters. Like a newer Star Wars movie compared to the old. All light saber gymnastics and no stakes and build-up. The stakes are usually comically high and unbelievable, not built up properly.

I think you could make a very good drama of pool players lives, but then pool wouldn't exactly be the focus. It would have to be character driven. The main character in newer pool movies is usually someone who is "above" the life, too good for it and aching to get out. He wants to be a tournament player or pool room owner or whatever. Often there isn't really enough character growth. The Hustler is a good example of how to make a pool movie character. By the end of the movie he has grown and developed, through pain and experience. I still think it's overly preachy, which is also a fault with such movies, but at least something is happening. Whereas characters in newer pool movies are allready at the end point. They haven't really learned anything, usually, just waiting for their ticket out. Either have them stay "in" or make them earn their way out.

Pool hall junkies was about the wrong character. Christopher Walkens character actually could have been very interesting. A business man gambling pool with dangerous people. There could be a movie about his downfall and maybe recovery. He's out of his element, takes the whole thing too nonchalantly, gets hard consequences. There could be a reveal of why he does it etc. A few lessons along the way. Wouldn't have to be preachy at all. Christopher Walken would have nailed it.

Last edited: