Pool road trip USA — best pool halls, best action, best spots 2022

phreaticus

Just make it more real than Poolhall Junkies and it will do great.

Northern California, besides Hardtimes in Sacramento:

Jointed Cue in Sacto,
Family Billiards in SF
California Billiards in Fremont
maybe Fast Eddy's in Capitola
Easy Street in Monterey where John Schmidt ran 626 -- probably no action though, the fish are at the Aquarium
Fast Eddy's in Santa Cruz (Capitola) is about same state as Easy Street, not much real action there. I guess Lettuce Larry used to be the guy there, but not sure if he's to be found any more. But it's a super cool old school poolhall with nice GC's and they recently added 2 gorgeous Diamond's with tight pockets set up perfectly for 1p. There is another cool but no gamble crazy poolhall in SC called Surf City Billiards - sort of like going to haight ashbury in SF... In any case, a drive up the NorCal coast on highway 1 from Big Sur thru Monterey, Santa Cruz, Half Moon Bay (Mavericks), Pacifica and up to SF - is a world class road trip, hard to not recommend adding to the agenda and a sure hit with non pool playing loved ones. Fremont and Sac for $$ games.

OP - if you make it to SF Bay Area, feel free to give me a shout. There are several other places with good tables for fun, practice and $$ games.

Cheers ✌️

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
Hi everyone,

in just a few months from September 2022 until February 2023 I'll have the privilege to visit the US. The main theme of my journey is playing pool and exploring the country and its people. Needless to say, I am thrilled.
I bet everyone here would love to read or watch your impressions shared once you are back home. Or even "live" during your trip!
Wishing you a smooth and entertaining journey!!

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Well if you pass Phoenix, Arizona you are messing boat. Phoenix offer some great thing to do beside playing pool, Plus you are hitting dates for Barret Jackson Auction, and Waist Management Phoenix Open. Two should never miss events.

quiet eyes

Fast Eddy's in Santa Cruz (Capitola) is about same state as Easy Street, not much real action there. I guess Lettuce Larry used to be the guy there, but not sure if he's to be found any more. But it's a super cool old school poolhall with nice GC's and they recently added 2 gorgeous Diamond's with tight pockets set up perfectly for 1p. There is another cool but no gamble crazy poolhall in SC called Surf City Billiards - sort of like going to haight ashbury in SF... In any case, a drive up the NorCal coast on highway 1 from Big Sur thru Monterey, Santa Cruz, Half Moon Bay (Mavericks), Pacifica and up to SF - is a world class road trip, hard to not recommend adding to the agenda and a sure hit with non pool playing loved ones. Fremont and Sac for $$ games.

OP - if you make it to SF Bay Area, feel free to give me a shout. There are several other places with good tables for fun, practice and $$ games.

Cheers ✌️
Great idea, great cues and thanks for the offer...:) we are coming down from Portland to somewhere in between San Francisco and LA. So the PCH and some of the locations you and Bob mentioned are on our way.

quiet eyes

if you decide to go south before you go west
i live in vero beach fl
nice beach 🏖️ (y)
i could find you several people to play
you could come to my house and gamble cheap
home room below
9 foot gold crown
extended rails 4.25 inches
PM me if you wish
View attachment 647238
What a sweet room! Thanks for the offer. A German top class player (high-stakes gambler) strongly recommended Florida recently. But I am a bit sceptical that Florida will fit into my schedule. Your country is huuuge! Re money matches: I am more micro-stakes, haha, on the lookout for some fairly strong competition to grow my game and a bit of pressure without ruining myself. I also want to play as many tournaments as possible. Thanks bbb!

Reactions: bbb

quiet eyes

Well if you pass Phoenix, Arizona you are messing boat. Phoenix offer some great thing to do beside playing pool, Plus you are hitting dates for Barret Jackson Auction, and Waist Management Phoenix Open. Two should never miss events.
I heard great things about the pool scene in Phoenix. Definitely on my list... maybe I can go there after the DCC in February. And these two events you mentioned don't have anything to do with pool, do they?

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What a sweet room! Thanks for the offer. A German top class player (high-stakes gambler) strongly recommended Florida recently. But I am a bit sceptical that Florida will fit into my schedule. Your country is huuuge! Re money matches: I am more micro-stakes, haha, on the lookout for some fairly strong competition to grow my game and a bit of pressure without ruining myself. I also want to play as many tournaments as possible. Thanks bbb!
pm me

hotelyorba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Man, so so jealous! I'm kicking a plan around in my head to do a Pool Pilgrimage at some point in the near future too. Not as extensive as you're planning, but I'm keeping an eye on this topic for inspiration. Also hoping you will tell us all about your experiences when you're there! Best of luck on your travels!

plague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Will definitely be at Skyline. I am located in Astoria for most of my time, though. So Steinway is right around the corner and Amsterdam 40 minutes away.

Question for the New Yorkers: Which pool hall would be your best bet for a good base to train, play drills and compete on a daily basis also taking expenses into account?
i liked cue bar in Queens for that

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Great idea, great cues and thanks for the offer...:) we are coming down from Portland to somewhere in between San Francisco and LA. So the PCH and some of the locations you and Bob mentioned are on our way.

Salem, Oregon (an hour or so outside Portland) has the Cue Ball, a historic pool room that's worth your time.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Germany's area is approximately 137,847 square miles (or 357,022 square kilometers if you're German). Although this makes Germany the largest country in Central Europe and the 6th largest in all Europe, it's pretty paltry compared to the 3,796,742 square miles (or 9,833,520 square kilometers) of the United States

Bbutler

topshots.ca
Silver Member
East US I'd recommend a stop in Atlanta to visit Mr. Cues. Plenty of action and great people there. Also if you're in the Chicago area Chris's billiards was a filming location for some scenes in the Color of Money. Not sure if it's still there, though.

Since you're starting in eastern Canada you should finish in the west with a stop in Alberta. It's off the beaten path but TopShots in Edmonton is something to see. One of the nicest rooms in the world.

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like your plan! I think Texas and New Orleans are going to be your best stops, but I've never been to either. I've also heard that St. Louis has a big pool scene but once again, I haven't been there either lol. The pool rooms I visited in Vegas weren't as impressive as I expected. Maybe I came at a bad time.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, all worth going to for tournaments if your near Chicago land.
Des Moines, Minneapolis area, Milwaukee area, Chicago suburbs.
Big dogs, Cr's, shooters, reds, chris', carom room, mad apple. All good tournament spots for amateur pool. Some action as well. Just not like Texas or Nola

quiet eyes

Man, so so jealous! I'm kicking a plan around in my head to do a Pool Pilgrimage at some point in the near future too. Not as extensive as you're planning, but I'm keeping an eye on this topic for inspiration. Also hoping you will tell us all about your experiences when you're there! Best of luck on your travels!
It is a one time opportunity, indeed. I will share my experiences for sure. And I must say that I already get a warm feeling from all the AZB hospitality. 🤗

Reactions: bbb