Pool Tournaments During COVID Pandemic

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A smallish group of either side can affect the experience of the combined lot. Aka: 80/20 rule.

Once time passes, neither side can claim responsibility or lack thereof, based on its own or the other side's actions.

It is a situation where choices made eliminate the possibility of seeing what would have happened had those choices not been made.

If things were different, they'd be different.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
This is silliness. You argue that personal responsibility addresses people dying of covid. Then you take the opposite position regarding "massive suicides, domestic abuse, alcoholism, depression, and general maladjustment." If there was any consistency to your reasoning, you'd be arguing that "massive suicides, domestic abuse, alcoholism, depression, and general maladjustment" are all easily addressed by people living "healthy lives and strengthen their natural immune systems; lose weight, eat properly, get fresh air, natural sunshine, and exercise....it's about individual responsibility."

This selective assignment of "personal responsibility" is really a shield behind which to hide your own unwillingness to simply accept any larger responsibility to society to conduct yourself so as not to harm others and unnecessarily risk their lives. My mother is 78 and has emphysema. Her dad lived to 96 with the exact same health situation. By your F'd up logic, if she gets covid and dies because you ignored basic health measures, she's a "comorbidity." By my logic, I could have had another 18 years with the most important person in my life but for uncaring, irrresponsible pos's who hide behind BS logical fallacies to make themselves feel better while fostering conditions that lead to her death, and more than 500,000 others.
Only an extremely selfish, scared, irrational, and emotional person, one unknowing and/or uncaring of the factual data, would advocate the financial and social destruction of society, including the wearing of masks by the healthy and uninfected persons who cannot transmit an infection they do not have, in order to protect themselves, or a loved one, from a virus which has a survival rate of between 99.997% and 94.6% if one is infected in the first place.

It's also impossible, and I have no interest in trying to have an intelligent, civil, conversation with someone who is so psychologically and emotionally triggered that they resort to name calling a total stranger on the internet when presented with factual data and reason that conflicts with their emotional and fear based beliefs. So, I'm out.

But I understand that you are concerned about your 78 year old mother, and I wish her well.

PoolPlayer4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only an extremely selfish, scared, irrational, and emotional person, one unknowing and/or uncaring of the factual data, would advocate the financial and social destruction of society, including the wearing of masks by the healthy and uninfected persons who cannot transmit an infection they do not have, in order to protect themselves, or a loved one, from a virus which has a survival rate of between 99.997% and 94.6% if one is infected in the first place.

It's also impossible, and I have no interest in trying to have an intelligent, civil, conversation with someone who is so psychologically and emotionally triggered that they resort to name calling a total stranger on the internet when presented with factual data and reason that conflicts with their emotional and fear based beliefs. So, I'm out.

But I understand that you are concerned about your 78 year old mother, and I wish her well.
1. Careful reading of my post indicates no name calling directed toward you.

2. Your statement describing a "virus which has a survival rate of between 99.997% and 94.6%," if taken as true, suggests a non-survival rate of between .003% and 5.4%. It doesn't seem fear based to want to stop a virus that can kill as many as 1 of every 19 people infected.

3. I'm not aware of anyone advocating the "financial and social destruction of society." I am aware of several jobs, such as sanding sheetrock, spray painting, and surgery, to name a few, that require the wearing of masks. These people seem to survive the ordeal of wearing a mask. What we do hear is a lot of snowflakes who are going to melt if they have to wear a mask and observe six feet of social distancing to do their part to protect others in society.

4. It is a pretense to suggest people are advocating wearing masks by people who cannot transmit an infection. The actual fact is that people can be infected and not know it. Therefore, they can transmit it while believing they do not have it. In fact, there is evidence to suggest that even people who have had covid or have been vaccinated may still be able to transmit the virus. Given that it is not scientifically possible to know with certainty everything about the virus in such a short time, responsible conduct would be to engage in measures to protect our fellow society members. If we had done that, without the nonsense arguments you're making, we would not have over 500,000 dead. Plenty of countries with far fewer resources than the U.S. have managed to achieve much lower death rates. Everyone of those avoidable deaths is someone's family member.

5. The much higher incidence of spread in the U.S. than would have been necessary if everyone had behaved responsibly also means a much higher rate of virus mutation. There are already mutations with increased transmissability. There may prove to be mutations now or in the future with higher mortality rates as well. If we had reduced the spread with responsible practices early on, which we easily could have without all the right-wing politicizing of things, we would have both saved lives and likely far reduced the number of mutations. The same responsible measures now could still help us avoid further needless deaths but it requires a tiny degree of putting the well-being of others before our personal comforts.

Last edited:

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
Covid is a killer.

It killed cancer, heart disease, the flu, businesses, the economy, etc. Not to mention the suicides and overdoses.

Patrick53212

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So if masks work then those that choose to wear a mask have nothing to worry about from those of us who dont. And if that isnt good enough...go get your vaccine shot and keep wearing your mask. If your vaccine is effective, then you have nothing to worry about from those of us that choose not to get the vaccine. And if that still isnt good enough never leave your house. Ever. See how easy that is?

Patrick53212

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For the record, I dont wear a mask. I have not taken the vaccine (I dont even get flu vaccines) and I go out in public. I play in pool tournaments. I shake hands. I travel out of state....monthly doing all of the above and take multiple vacations. Havent been sick in probably 4yrs now.

PoolPlayer4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So if masks work then those that choose to wear a mask have nothing to worry about from those of us who dont. And if that isnt good enough...go get your vaccine shot and keep wearing your mask. If your vaccine is effective, then you have nothing to worry about from those of us that choose not to get the vaccine. And if that still isnt good enough never leave your house. Ever. See how easy that is?
So if seat belts work then those that choose to wear a seat belt have nothing to worry about from those of us who drive drunk. And if that isn't good enough...go get a helmet and keep wearing your seat belt. If your seat belt is effective, then you and your family have nothing to worry about from those of us that choose to drive drunk. And if that still isn't good enough never leave your house. Ever. See how easy that is?

Last edited:

PoolPlayer4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For the record, I dont wear a mask. I have not taken the vaccine (I dont even get flu vaccines) and I go out in public. I play in pool tournaments. I shake hands. I travel out of state....monthly doing all of the above and take multiple vacations. Havent been sick in probably 4yrs now.
For the record, I drive drunk. I don't wear a seat belt or a helmet and I drive drunk in public. I drive drunk to pool tournaments. I drive drunk and wave at people. I drive drunk out of state...monthly doing all of the above and take multiple vacations while driving drunk. Haven't killed anyone in probably 4 years now.

4scarecrow

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What a f-ing downward spiral the last 16 pages have been. It’s honestly been difficult to digest. The original post addressed concern about tournaments during the pandemic.

My take on the topic is that it sounds like a terrible idea. Playing in a crowded tournament venue and handling all the same equipment repeatedly is not a good strategy to avoid COVID by my estimation. I am realistic however and realize that I live in a country filled with, and run by, those who only give a shit about their own interests and desires. There isn’t much I can do to fix that. I love playing pool, but for now I’ll just stay out of the pool rooms and bars. While I miss playing competitively, pool is not THAT important to me. It’s just something I enjoy playing when time allows. I’ll reassess league/tournament play after my family and I can get vaccinated.

As far as masks and social distancing are concerned, any moron with a 6th grade education should be able to rationalize that these measures help to mitigate the risk of transmission. Anyone who tells you otherwise is simply telling you what they WANT to hear. It’s too bad that our last president and FOX Entertainment (never to be confused with actual news) decided to politicize such simple public health measures.

It’s a pity that things have taken the route they have. I hope that enough people decide to get vaccinated that we can return to some semblance of normality again in the near future.

De420MadHatter

SicBiNature
Silver Member
What a f-ing downward spiral the last 16 pages have been. It’s honestly been difficult to digest. The original post addressed concern about tournaments during the pandemic.

My take on the topic is that it sounds like a terrible idea. Playing in a crowded tournament venue and handling all the same equipment repeatedly is not a good strategy to avoid COVID by my estimation. I am realistic however and realize that I live in a country filled with, and run by, those who only give a shit about their own interests and desires. There isn’t much I can do to fix that. I love playing pool, but for now I’ll just stay out of the pool rooms and bars. While I miss playing competitively, pool is not THAT important to me. It’s just something I enjoy playing when time allows. I’ll reassess league/tournament play after my family and I can get vaccinated.

As far as masks and social distancing are concerned, any moron with a 6th grade education should be able to rationalize that these measures help to mitigate the risk of transmission. Anyone who tells you otherwise is simply telling you what they WANT to hear. It’s too bad that our last president and FOX Entertainment (never to be confused with actual news) decided to politicize such simple public health measures.

It’s a pity that things have taken the route they have. I hope that enough people decide to get vaccinated that we can return to some semblance of normality again in the near future.
The only politicizing that was done, has been done by the libtard left.
The ones that can't figure out whether mask work, or they don't work, or maybe you should wear 2....lmao.
Had it not been for the left inflating numbers, and using fear as a motivator we wouldn't have any of this bs.
It is a virus, it doesn't matter how much mitigation you have, you cannot hide from it.
And yes, go get that vaccine which doesn't prevent you from catching covid, doesn't prevent you from spreading covid, and requires you to keep social distancing, and now may require a 3rd shot 😂😂😂.
You libtards are hoot 🤣🤣🤦‍♂️.
Maybe go check the VEARS website, and look at the 1000 plus who have died from the vaccine so far, or check out the stillbirths that have been a result of the vaccine.
Have you seen any of this talked about by what you call the "real" news?
It's to bad the pedophile sitting in the Whitehouse, keeps pushing this bs on the people of America, it's even worse people like you, swallow it hook line and sinker.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
And yes, go get that vaccine which doesn't prevent you from catching covid, doesn't prevent you from spreading covid, and requires you to keep social distancing, and now may require a 3rd shot 😂😂😂.

These idiots marketing this vaccine are telling us that EVEN IF we get the vaccine, we'll still be treated as lepers.

I'd call that some great marketing....NOT. My choice as a consumer, based on the sales pitch?: eat me

Jeff Livingston

4scarecrow

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, that compelling response from Mad Hatter changed my mind completely. I think it was use of the carefully crafted term libtard that really spoke to me. Or perhaps it was all the colorful emojis. Good job bud.

Patrick53212

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So if seat belts work then those that choose to wear a seat belt have nothing to worry about from those of us who drive drunk. And if that isn't good enough...go get a helmet and keep wearing your seat belt. If your seat belt is effective, then you and your family have nothing to worry about from those of us that choose to drive drunk. And if that still isn't good enough never leave your house. Ever. See how easy that is?
And that is exactly how easy it is. I make decisions to reduce my risk of coming in contact with a drunk driver and the potential injuries should it happen anyway. Thank you for playing.

Patrick53212

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For the record, I drive drunk. I don't wear a seat belt or a helmet and I drive drunk in public. I drive drunk to pool tournaments. I drive drunk and wave at people. I drive drunk out of state...monthly doing all of the above and take multiple vacations while driving drunk. Haven't killed anyone in probably 4 years now.
Well at least if you are talking the talk, you are walking the walk.