Poolmanis Instructional Main Thread

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello AZB.
Let me introduce myself for those that not know me first. I am from Finland but been here AZB for some time.
I am all around Billiards(Pool,Snooker,Finnish Kaisa,Russian Pyramid and little bit Carom too) player, table mechanic and pool/snooker coach. I have been playing 25 years and always been one of top players of Finland but never got chance to try turn pro.

I have YouTube Channel called Poolmanis where i have videos and some are little bit instructional but never put effort to do those properly. There is more like drills, Ghost matches and other random stuff, whatever. Also my content is probably not so lower level friendly. Dunno.

Anyways. I see often here threads about people want to learn and improve their game.
I just hesitate to put effort to making real instructional videos because my channel is not big enough for getting any money from effort.. yet.

I ask if there is interested players to buy course of my aiming methods if i make 5-10 videos to cover all tricks I have found over the years?
My own aiming system is combination of fractional aiming, SVB-shaft aim, Carom angle help for aiming and some other tricks too. Also I believe everyone who is serious to getting stronger should learn usage of table geometry for estimating cut angles better.
Sounds stupid? Maybe it is but it works for me and for my students. I also have different ideas for other aspects of learning game. One main theme of my coaching is skill isolation while practice and then getting it part of package slowly.

Ps. I am also planning to do series : from beginner to pro level, where i would start series from start and slowly getting more advanced topics.

Every Junior player that I coached longer period of time is at least Finnish Champion or some have European Champion medals too. I think 5 players so far. Also my little sister started to play after 23 years break and last year she got picked first to European Champion national team in women. Too bad she missed those EC 2020 due Covid.

Last night I was reinforcing my memory because I am little rusty now on Pool. I did take video about my aiming practice session. It is about 1 hour long one take video where I practice 10, 15, 20, 30, 38, and 45 degree cuts. I forgot to take refresh break after 30 min so i got tired and did not shoot 60 degree cuts. What i also normally do.
Video have subtitles here and there to make little insights about training etc..
Video is not really instructional. Just my practice session, but i decided to share it as a teaser if people are interested to learn from me(so i did not have my mic with me). I talk sometimes there but i am not sure if audio is any good there.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi Poolmanis! I wanted to bump this thread and offer some encouragement.

I think there is a big need for advanced pool content. There are a lot of resources for beginners and intermediate players. As you get more advanced the potential audience is smaller which I think is why a lot of content aims for a bigger demographic. I'd really like to see you do as much advanced stuff as possible.

Whether this iteration catches on or not please keep at it. You have a lot to offer and I look forward to seeing what you put together!

okrad

I love your channel, will watch the video you posted when i get the time. Enjoyed your races against the ghost a lot. I would be interested to learn more about your aiming system.

Watched you stream some shooterspool, where you were basically thinking out loud while aiming, and it seemed pretty logical, trying to estimate the angle, then making adjustments to your aim considering it. I think it's a better way to go than just "feel" it and getting lost sometimes, or being unsure and not knowing how to correct the mistake.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Thanks, Poolmanis.

To help out, here's a diagram of "fractions practice lines" I posted awhile back. Place an object ball anywhere on one of the lines (near or far from the pocket) and shoot the CB parallel with the long rails, aiming at the fraction shown for that line. Sighting the lines from the corner pocket to the cushion nose in front of the diamonds as shown is very close to perfect (for 1/4 fraction use 1/2 diamond) - the red "v" near each diamond shows where the line would be for perfect fractions.

pj
chgo

Fractions Practice Lines.jpg

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks, Poolmanis.

To help out, here's a diagram of "fractions practice lines" I posted awhile back. Place an object ball anywhere on one of the lines (near or far from the pocket) and shoot the CB parallel with the long rails, aiming at the fraction shown for that line. Sighting the lines from the corner pocket to the cushion nose in front of the diamonds as shown is very close to perfect (for 1/4 fraction use 1/2 diamond) - the red "v" near each diamond shows where the line would be for perfect fractions.

pj
chgo

View attachment 589509

FYI, I've quoted you for another great addition to the fractional-ball aim resource page. Nice work!

Best regards,
Dave

PoolPlayer4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FYI, I've quoted you for another great addition to the fractional-ball aim resource page. Nice work!

Best regards,
Dave
Is there something that shows the after-impact cue ball direction angles for a rolling cue ball for these fractional hits? I know there are systems for calculating, but is there a resource page that just shows the actual angles for 1/8-7/8? Thanks.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Is there something that shows the after-impact cue ball direction angles for a rolling cue ball for these fractional hits? I know there are systems for calculating, but is there a resource page that just shows the actual angles for 1/8-7/8? Thanks.
Here's a plot, FWIW...

1616394714856.png

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks all for replies. I just did shoot little video instructional video. I hope I got it decent. It is harder to do that you would think. Now i need to put it together, edit and check audio etc..
Now when i try do proper instructional video i notice how much work it is.
Hat off for Bob and Dr. Dave who have made hundreds of these instructional gems we have on Youtube and elsewhere.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dr. Dave rolling cueball angle video actually inspired me to do some research on my own. I once recorded me shooting that. It was first times i tried my theory in practice and it was okay. I was just shooting little right english constantly and missed some because of that.
On that drill I try always shoot ob 90 degrees towards side rail so tangent line is 90 degree too. Then i try figure out how much cue ball dives forward from tangent line. Then i try place cueball that cut angle what should make it to corner when shooting ball directly to rail.
check it out if interested.
But again it is just my random practice session where i try figure out new stuff(for me). I have microphone on and i think aloud :D

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dr. Dave rolling cueball angle video actually inspired me to do some research on my own. I once recorded me shooting that. It was first times i tried my theory in practice and it was okay. I was just shooting little right english constantly and missed some because of that.
On that drill I try always shoot ob 90 degrees towards side rail so tangent line is 90 degree too. Then i try figure out how much cue ball dives forward from tangent line. Then i try place cueball that cut angle what should make it to corner when shooting ball directly to rail.
check it out if interested.
But again it is just my random practice session where i try figure out new stuff(for me). I have microphone on and i think aloud :D
Can you explain what the numbers you are mentioning and how you calculate them please?

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can you explain what the numbers you are mentioning and how you calculate them please?
Those are degrees.
example. I noticed when i cut ball 25 degree cut it will bend forward 35 degrees from tangent line. If i cut ball 45 degrees it will bend forward about 15 degrees from tangent line. So i count to 60 on those shots. I measure cut/carom angles from diamonds and table geometry. I think it match up close that number what Dr. Dave had on his video where he said there is 0.281 or something for figuring out carom angle if u count from 0.28 x 90 is around 25 and 90 - 25 is 65 but maybe friction makes that more like 60 degree total what i learned through practice.

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
example. I noticed when i cut ball 25 degree cut it will bend forward 35 degrees from tangent line. If i cut ball 45 degrees it will bend forward about 15 degrees from tangent line. So i count to 60 on those shots. I measure cut/carom angles from diamonds and table geometry. I think it match up close that number what Dr. Dave had on his video where he said there is 0.281 or something for figuring out carom angle if u count from 0.28 x 90 is around 25 and 90 - 25 is 65 but maybe friction makes that more like 60 degree total what i learned through practice.
thanks for you detailed reply
but unless i misunderstand dr dave
doesnt he say a rolling cue ball takes a 30 degree path after contact with the object ball over a large object ball cut angle
since the 30 degrees is constant
it would not add up to 60 degrees on every shot
i could be wrong (probably am)

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

Various plots showing how carom angle (theoretical, actual, and from various system predictions) varies with both ball-hit fraction and cut angle can be found here:

Enjoy!

Reactions: bbb

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Those are degrees.
For those interested, here's the video showing the 0.281 trick:

Reactions: bbb

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
unless i misunderstand dr dave
doesnt he say a rolling cue ball takes a 30 degree path after contact with the object ball over a large object ball cut angle

That is a crude approximation, but you can be more accurate using a slightly larger angle when close to a 1/2-ball hit and a slightly smaller angle when close to a a 1/4-ball or 3/4-ball hit. For more info, see: