Poor Shane is Trapped !

Desmondp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Quite a few comments about the drunk crowd. Darts have become huge (with huge prize pools for a 'pub game') because of the drunk crowds who come, dress up and have a good time.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
It’s a competition and we cheer hard for who we want to win. that’s how sporting events work. Maybe you haven’t seen any before.
You use of "we" makes the assumption that everyone is on the same page as you with your theory.

"We" are not.

Last edited:

Dimeball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
any darn fool who thinks he should step down off the team needs to take a lap, better yet, make that two laps while using the second lap contemplating the phrase, "you can't fix stupid".
SVB or any other player on the planet does not play for the tards on this site or any other site. They don't play for fans either... this is their job, how they make money to provide for whatever lifestyle they choose. This is true for any professional occupation where the participant is compensated.
play for the fans, or, country for that matter.. WTF does that even mean. The cup is fun, paid event win or lose including travel, accommodation, etc... It honors a legend all the while promoting the sport that needs it something terrible. There is no one in their right mind that believes the worlds best player, the worlds best draw of spectators, the worlds most looked up player by more armatures and pro's alike for not only his play but his professionalism, should step off the most broadcasted event in the sport, and believes that would be good for pool... Sorry, stupid chaps my A$$!

gypsy_soul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He will only get crucified by the Yahoos who actually think this is a real pool tournament instead of a carnival crap-shoot meant for entertainment…like WWE wrestling.

I enjoy playing and watching pool, but I don’t care who wins, one way or the other, unless I am playing and have money on the game.

People who get emotionally involved in sports that they are not participating in have mental issues.

It is a game.

It is entertainment.

Relax.

Watch the GAME!

DON’T fret who wins or loses.

If your team loses, drink a beer.

If they win, drink two beers.
Well said sir

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The mosconi cup is exactly what pool needs to be like. I saw the comparison to WWE. We could only hope to have a fraction of the success WWE has. 1.5-2.0 million views for two main roster shows a week. 10,000-15,000 fans at an arena two times a week. 50,000-100,000 fans depending on the venue for a handful of big shows a year. Look at NFL stadiums with tens of thousands of fans every game with thousands, if not millions, watching at home. Why is that? Because it is entertaining and the fans are emotionally invested. No other pool tournament comes close to the success of the mosconi cup. I don't know the exact seating from the event but it looked to be around 2,000 fans, which is half the normal crowd. I saw that there might be 6,000 fans for 2023. Name me another pool tournament in the states that has 2,000 PAYING to watch in person? My guess is there isn't one. The only events I know that charge for tickets are DCC, The Super Billiards Expo, and the US Open. There might be more. I would be willing to guess that the mosconi cup attendance, even at half capacity, is still more than those three tournaments combined! Mosconi cup is broadcast on cable TV across the world. In the UK it is broadcasted by Sky Sports, you know, the same network that shows NFL football in the UK. Name for me a pool tournament that is broadcast live in the US on ESPN, FOX, ABC, or NBC? I already know the answer, none! Mosconi is on a Sports Network here in the states. Name for me another pool tournament, not by matchroom, that is on a network/cable/stream channel? Internet streams do not count.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
The mosconi cup is exactly what pool needs to be like. I saw the comparison to WWE. We could only hope to have a fraction of the success WWE has. 1.5-2.0 million views for two main roster shows a week. 10,000-15,000 fans at an arena two times a week. 50,000-100,000 fans depending on the venue for a handful of big shows a year. Look at NFL stadiums with tens of thousands of fans every game with thousands, if not millions, watching at home. Why is that? Because it is entertaining and the fans are emotionally invested. No other pool tournament comes close to the success of the mosconi cup. I don't know the exact seating from the event but it looked to be around 2,000 fans, which is half the normal crowd. I saw that there might be 6,000 fans for 2023. Name me another pool tournament in the states that has 2,000 PAYING to watch in person? My guess is there isn't one. The only events I know that charge for tickets are DCC, The Super Billiards Expo, and the US Open. There might be more. I would be willing to guess that the mosconi cup attendance, even at half capacity, is still more than those three tournaments combined! Mosconi cup is broadcast on cable TV across the world. In the UK it is broadcasted by Sky Sports, you know, the same network that shows NFL football in the UK. Name for me a pool tournament that is broadcast live in the US on ESPN, FOX, ABC, or NBC? I already know the answer, none! Mosconi is on a Sports Network here in the states. Name for me another pool tournament, not by matchroom, that is on a network/cable/stream channel? Internet streams do not count.
Id like to think of pool has being a bit higher class then dudes with mullets and speedos pretending to beat each other up...

mattydrva

I do feel for SVB at Mosconi Cup. There's a ton of pressure on him to win given the far lesser players, Woodward excluded, on the team. With that his losses are magnified and seem to pile up a bit.

It doesn't help that he's playing against competition at his level in extremely short races. He also appears to consistently get his opponent's A game as well which doesn't help matters either. He's clearly uncomfortable with the format and perhaps setting and the best you can hope to get out of him is his B game, if you will. Finally, there's no place to hide when he does lose as the rest of the team is not strong enough to pick up the slack which is a luxury the European stars have.

Kaci, one of the best players in the world, played quite poorly the first two days of the event and Ouschan (arguably the best player of 2021) wasn't much better though since the team is otherwise strong they can both have bad days and all is forgotten after the thrashing of Team USA is complete come the end of the event. When Shane has a bad day it's "you suck and you let us down again. Aren't you supposed to be the best player in the world?" It's a no win situation. If you win it is because you are supposed to win and if you lose it is because you choked again. Really tough spot.

Not sure he has the personality to do so though if he could approach the event with an attitude more similar to Sky's he'd play more relaxed and better likely. I did think he looked pretty loose in the doubles match with Sky on the second day though clearly tightened back up on Thursday when they were swept.

He and next year's captain need to really sit down and talk this stuff through and encourage him to chill out a bit, stick together with his teammates and go easy. I think he cares about MC a lot and that might be the problem. If he could bring a more carefree, F-it attitude that would help more than hurt.

At least we kicked their butt in Ryder Cup....

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Been watchin' a few matches lately, most often SVB is on the card.
But I've tired of his ''acting out'', I'm done with that.
Watched his matches that took place in the past 24 mths.
The problem he's developed I've seen before, in more than one player.
It's not a common problem but it's always there.

....Perfection....

Since Shane has played often, near to perfection his character has become ''less tolerant/willing to deal with/accept....poor play w/o it effecting his game physically/mentally.

I've noticed em complaining to em' self after an opponent misses on a makeable shot EVEN THO.. he's LUCKY to get back to the table, BUT he whines to himself/ does the slight' head shake because it's NOT a good shot for HIM.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Shane, Shane, Shane, and Shane, Shane, Shane, Shane! Also Shane, Shane and more Shane. Come back Shane! Come back Shane please! SHANE! SHANE! SHANE! COME BACK SHANE!!!

slugbait

I think Shane should post a very public statement on what changes he'd like to see to the format of the MC, the implication that he might not be interested otherwise. The people from matchroom NEED him there! They'd probably just offer him money instead of making changes that they don't want, though.

Dimeball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane, Shane, Shane, and Shane, Shane, Shane, Shane! Also Shane, Shane and more Shane. Come back Shane! Come back Shane please! SHANE! SHANE! SHANE! COME BACK SHANE!!!
Not sure I get where this is coming from... So SVB isn't Filipino, which everyone knows is an instant gig from you Jay. American pool is mediocre, and the truth is it pretty much always has been. Today there's one world class player, a few decades ago there were two that saw real foreign competition regularly. It's not the man's problem that everyone else in this country are too lazy to work for it or just flat out don't have the skill set to get there... so of course the flunky US pool fans will boost SVB as much as possible, what else do they have.... NOT MUCH!

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
shane.gif

xX-Wizard-Xx

The rules work for everyone .......everyone in the tournament had to play by the same rules. why all the poor shane comments.... over time he hasnt perfomed well at mosconi tournament. they just need to play better to compete with the europeans... simple as that.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Not sure I get where this is coming from... So SVB isn't Filipino, which everyone knows is an instant gig from you Jay. American pool is mediocre, and the truth is it pretty much always has been. Today there's one world class player, a few decades ago there were two that saw real foreign competition regularly. It's not the man's problem that everyone else in this country are too lazy to work for it or just flat out don't have the skill set to get there... so of course the flunky US pool fans will boost SVB as much as possible, what else do they have.... NOT MUCH!
He responded to my post is what this is.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
This, to me, is much ado about nothing. It's not about short races not suiting him, either. Shane won his first three Derby City 9-ball titles while the races were still to seven, so short races have never held him back.

Shane always merits inclusion on Team USA, and the paid trip and the guaranteed payout are a big deal. Pro players, Shane included, often travel long distances to play in events that have $5,000 - 10,000 added, so a guarantee of $15,000 (roughly equal to the winner's check at the Derby City 9-ball event) ensures a very big pay day and it is something that Shane has earned through his sustained excellence as a player.

I chalk up Shane's poor performance at the Mosconi over the past decade to a few things:

1. The Chaotic Surroundings
Some thrive in the presence of a rowdy crowd, others don't. Shane does not. Contrastingly, we've seen that Jayson Shaw is at the opposite extreme, feeding off the crowd whether the event is in Europe or the United States. Josh Filler, similarly, feeds off the rowdy crowd, although less so than Jayson. Embracing the chaos is an acquired skill, and some have struggled with it, with the most obvious European example being the supremely talented 2021 World Pool Masters champion Alex Kazakis.

2. Reduced Importance of the Break at the Mosconi
Some years, the break is tough due to the nine being racked on the spot, and other years (like this year when it seemed like there were only a few dry breaks in the entire event), the balls break so easy that the big breakers don't have an edge, and the break has been Shane's biggest weapon for the length of his career. Those who have taken note over the years that Shane would be more successful at the Mosconi if they played ten-ball are, of course, right but we know that will never, and should never happen, as Matchroom's standardization of pool through their unswerving commitment to nine ball is a step forward for pro pool at the global level.

3. A Substandard Record Overseas
The future hall of famer has never won one of the toughest WPA sanctioned events player overseas. That means the WPA World Nine Ball, the China Open and the All-Japan, each of which have a field of at least 128 players, and an internationally diverse field. In contrast, Shane has thrived in America, most notably at the US Open in Virginia. Shane's game has not travelled as well as many of today's elite, who mass produce major titles all over the world. Contrast that to the Asians, who showed up at the 2021 US Open 9-ball without three of their top four based on Fargo (Anton Raga, Xiaohuai, Zheng, and Ko Pin Yi) and yet still managed to land all four spots in the semifinals (Naoyuki Oi, Dennis Orcullo, Aloysius Yapp and Carlo Biado). As half of the Mosconi Cup events are played in Europe, Shane's inability to find his best form overseas hasn't helped.

4. The Stress of Anchoring a Weak Team
Shane has been a member of so many weak teams over the past decade that it has likely been incredibly frustrating for him. Being the anchor on a team that doesn't nearly measure up with that of Team Europe year after year, he must, far too often, feel that unless he plays perfect pool, his team likely can't win, and that is a heavy burden to carry. It's a stressful situation for any player.

Conclusion
We all need to cut Shane some slack here. It's disappointing to all of us that he's never really found his comfort zone at the Mosconi, but he shows up and gives it his best year after year and, deservingly, is paid well for it.

Shane is a champion of the highest order, and as long as he earns his spot to play on Team USA, I want him on the team. I hope I'm lucky enough to witness it when he finally finds his "A" game at the Mosconi, for it will be a day to celebrate.

Last edited: