Predator 10 Ball

pool1027

Hi I was wondering if everything is still scheduled for the Predator 10 Ball and BCA 8 Ball championships with regards to the swine flu situation. I am planning to go and I was wondering if anyone heard anything.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Hi I was wondering if everything is still scheduled for the Predator 10 Ball and BCA 8 Ball championships with regards to the swine flu situation. I am planning to go and I was wondering if anyone heard anything.

What does swine flu have to do with a pool tournament?

pool1027

Obviously you have not been reading the news about the flu in the US. I am just wondering if everything is still taking place that all no need for the sarcastic remarks watchez.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Obviously you have not been reading the news about the flu in the US. I am just wondering if everything is still taking place that all no need for the sarcastic remarks watchez.

I have been reading about the flu but I still dont see what it has to do with a pool tournament taking place.

No need to start a rumor about these tournaments taking place if the rumor makes absolutely no sense.

Did Mark Griffin and Charlie Williams, the organizers of the event, come down with the flu? Maybe I missed that info on the news.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

After a while, some of the well-intentioned posters like yourself figure out how to step over those sarcastic mud puddles. :(

I see your point about the flu. It seems to be much more serious than originally anticipated. I was in the grocery store yesterday and saw people wearing those paper thingies on their face, so as not to breathe in any germs.

In Vegas with such a large gathering of people from around the world, it is something to think about. If I was going, I just might be thinking about wearing one of those paper thingies myself, ESPECIALLY if I was flying.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
http://health.msn.com/health-topics/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100237462&gt1=31036

Before you get in an uproar and mislead people in not attending these events, try taking 3 minutes out of your day and read an article such as this for example.

The public is driven by irrational fears. They didn't go to medical school," says Shorter. "They're responding to an abdication of leadership by political leaders."

This quote from the article definitely fits her

pool1027

I am sorry if I came across that way. I am not trying to start a rumor or cause any trouble I am merely inquiring to see if it is affecting the tournament that's all. This is a vacation trip for me and I am really looking forward to the tournament and I would not like anything to mess it up. So again I am sorry if it came across that way Mr Watchez and I am not trying to start any rumors.

pool1027

Why would you say that I am trying to miss lead people or stop people from going to these tournaments all I asked was if everything is still happening that's all. I am really sorry it seems I have offended you by asking this question and you are making me out to be some trouble maker which I am not forget I asked the question and for your information I reading about it for the last few days.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
I am sorry if I came across that way. I am not trying to start a rumor or cause any trouble I am merely inquiring to see if it is affecting the tournament that's all. This is a vacation trip for me and I am really looking forward to the tournament and I would not like anything to mess it up. So again I am sorry if it came across that way Mr Watchez and I am not trying to start any rumors.

Vegas is full of people from all around the world on an everyday basis - not just because there are 7,000 people there for the BCA/Predator events. That is just a drop in the bucket to a city like Vegas that is built on tourism.

And all other sports in this country are continuing as normal. They didn't stop the NBA playoffs because 20,000 people will be confined in the Staples Center for 3 hours, within 8 inches of each other.

And there are still some 30,000 flights a day in the US every day, so the swine flu hasn't shut that down either.

I am looking forward to the event myself. Hope you enjoy yourself Mr. Pool1027. Glad to hear that you are an AZ member that goes to pool events.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
http://health.msn.com/health-topics/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100237462&gt1=31036

Before you get in an uproar and mislead people in not attending these events, try taking 3 minutes out of your day and read an article such as this for example.

The public is driven by irrational fears. They didn't go to medical school," says Shorter. "They're responding to an abdication of leadership by political leaders."

This quote from the article definitely fits her

That guy in the article leaves out some important information. 1. This has materialized in different parts of the world simultaneously, indicating it's ability to spread. 2. This scares them the most. The figure of the number of people who die each year is true but they are almost all old people or children and babies. The ones who are dead from this flu were robust healthy people who should not be killed by the flu. This indicates that if this thing got going it would really kill. A flu outbreak killed 40, 000,000 in the early part of the last century. With the way and ease we travel today, a similar outbreak could kill ten or twenty times that number. These people spend their lives studying this stuff and it scares them. They know it is not "if" but "when". This flu has already shown it can not be isolated, it is already spreading world wide. There is also no possibility to effectively inoculate against it. The only way to stop it is to limit it's hosts and ability to spread so it can just fade out. Places like Vegas where you have people coming from all over the world and mingling is the perfect way to really help it spread. Staying away from such places is really the only way to combat it. The spreading has to be stopped. Like it or not, those are the facts.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
That guy in the article leaves out some important information. 1. This has materialized in different parts of the world simultaneously, indicating it's ability to spread. 2. This scares them the most. The figure of the number of people who die each year is true but they are almost all old people or children and babies. The ones who are dead from this flu were robust healthy people who should not be killed by the flu. This indicates that if this thing got going it would really kill. A flu outbreak killed 40, 000,000 in the early part of the last century. With the way and ease we travel today, a similar outbreak could kill ten or twenty times that number. These people spend their lives studying this stuff and it scares them. They know it is not "if" but "when". This flu has already shown it can not be isolated, it is already spreading world wide. There is also no possibility to effectively inoculate against it. The only way to stop it is to limit it's hosts and ability to spread so it can just fade out. Places like Vegas where you have people coming from all over the world and mingling is the perfect way to really help it spread. Staying away from such places is really the only way to combat it. The spreading has to be stopped. Like it or not, those are the facts.

Where do you get your fact that the swine flu can kill 400 to 800 million people and that Vegas will be the epicenter of this destruction of more people than currently live in the USA?

And I am glad that you referenced this to a health issue that occurred 120 years ago. If we lived in the world 120 years ago, I would already be dead which would make some posters here happy. But with modern medicine I am still alive and kicking.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where do you get your fact that the swine flu can kill 400 to 800 million people and that Vegas will be the epicenter of this destruction of more people than currently live in the USA?

And I am glad that you referenced this to a health issue that occurred 120 years ago. If we lived in the world 120 years ago, I would already be dead which would make some posters here happy. But with modern medicine I am still alive and kicking.

It doesn't have to kill that many. If that many contracted only 2% may die? The past reference is an illustration of the ability for these things to spread. It is just a matter of how deadly it is. They don't honestly yet know what they are dealing with. They didn't raise the Alert to a 4 for nothing. I am sure they prefer to error on the side of caution but that was a serious thing to do. It effects world economies, they don't make a decisions like that lightly. That is pretty telling as to whether this scares them. We are both discussing this academically, we don't know what is going to happen. There is no right, wrong or even a debate. Lets hope a month or a year from not this discussion seem silly. But again, it is not "If" but "When", we just don't want it to be the when.

Last edited:

billbOK

Slow day
Silver Member
...But with modern medicine I am still alive and kicking.

Modern medicine or not the problem is the same with such a virus... It takes some times to develop a vaccine and the virus can mutate very fast. Then the vaccine is no more adaptated and you have to develop another vaccine... etc... and the virus could become stronger... and stonger !

macguy is right with the way and ease we travel today, the virus could spread very fast and far. So the consequences, with modern medicine or not, could be worse than in the beginning of the last century :embarrassed2:

Flettir

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just checked the latest stats on MSN. There are 50 confirmed cases in the US as of this time. There are 306 million people in the US. Odds of you getting the flu are 306,000,000/50 or about 6 million to 1. Enjoy the tournament and stopping worrying about things you have no control over.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Amen Mr. Davis! See you in Vegas! I was just watching your son play in FL this past weekend! I'm sure he'll be there too! :D

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

I just checked the latest stats on MSN. There are 50 confirmed cases in the US as of this time. There are 306 million people in the US. Odds of you getting the flu are 306,000,000/50 or about 6 million to 1. Enjoy the tournament and stopping worrying about things you have no control over.

Flettir

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Amen Mr. Davis! See you in Vegas! I was just watching your son play in FL this past weekend! I'm sure he'll be there too! :D

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com
Thank you for the Amen. As for Mike, I talked to him about a week or 2 ago. He said he would be there for the tournament. I am looking forward to watching him and the other pros play. I am also looking forward to having him watch me play in the Seniors tournament. I am also looking forward to seeing you and other AZB friends there.

DRW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
more info

With all the sensationalized news about the so-called swine flu flying around, I figured we'd better set all the facts straight.

1. So far, only 82 cases of so-called swine flu have been definitively identified worldwide, mostly in Mexico (26 confirmed, 7 deaths) and the U.S.(with 40 confirmed, no deaths). (Though about 1600 suspected cases, including 159 deaths, are reported in Mexico.) That does not add up to a pandemic swine flu outbreak.
2. This virus has nothing to do with swine. In fact, it hasn't been seen in a single animal. And you can't possibly get it from eating pork.
3. No existing vaccines can prevent this new flu strain. So no matter what you hear – even if it comes from your doctor – don't get a regular flu shot. They rarely work against seasonal flu…and certainly can't offer protection from a never-before- seen strain.
4. Speaking of this strain, it doesn't seem to have come on naturally. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), this particular strain has never before been seen in pigs or people. And according to Reuters, the strain is a 'genetic mix' of swine, avian and human flu. Was it created in a lab? We don't know yet.
5. The drug companies are getting excited…and that's never a good thing. According to the Associated Press at least one financial analyst estimates up to $388 million worth of Tamiflu sales in the near future – and that's without a pandemic outbreak.
6. Let's not forget that Tamiflu comes with its own problems, including side effects like nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, headache, dizziness, fatigue, cough…the very symptoms you're trying to avoid. And let's not forget that Japan banned this drug for children back in 2007, after links to suicidal behavior.
7. Vaccines for this flu strain probably won't have to jump through all those annoying hurdles like clinical trials for safety and effectiveness. That won't, however, stop the government from mandating the vaccine for all of us – a very likely scenario. And if the vaccines are actually harmful…killing people, for example…the vaccine makers will be immune from lawsuits.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Just to update you. There is now a case in Disney World.
Your odds are a little off. Disease does not spread to one person at a time. It spreads geometrically. I agree I don't sweat it either. But the realities are there. I haven't been sick in like 20 years neither has my wife. But when I was in the bar business i was sick all the time. You are just around so many people, who are around so many people, and so on and so on and so on. I would get what ever was going around. Now I rarely come in contact with people at all anymore. I don't even stand close to people when I am in a line. I shower most any time I come in when I have been around people. Like I said, I haven't been sick in over 20 years.
This Disney story will cause them lot of cancelations I bet.

From the front page of my local paper

"A report on WFTV.com showed a chief medical officer at Florida Hospital confirmed a case of swine flu in a Mexican tourist at Walt Disney World, but officials at the hospital said there are no confirmed cases of swine flu in Central Florida.

How many people has that person come in contact with? and so on and so on.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
How many people has that person come in contact with? and so on and so on.

I don't know - I forget, how many dwarfs are there?

Busch Gardens & Sea World probably sent the Mexican over to Disney World to help drum up their own business.