Predator Pool Table

realkingcobra

Silver Member
RKC, The first step towards recovery is to admit there's a problem. So let me help you out here.

There are (4) types of toxic people. You fit 3 out of the 4 types.

1.) Downers
2,) Better than's
3.) Passives
4.) Angry control freaks

Now that you know, you are half way towards being cured.

Good luck on your road to recovery!!

Are those the steps you took?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
You can lead a horse to water..............................

From here, it look like you guys are pissin' into the wind. Set it free!
A smart farmer don't lead his horses to water, when he turn the water on to fill the water bucket, the horses come running!!!

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are WAY too many options for me to pick a an ugly table, simply put - they look cheap. This table, to me, looks very similar to a table I bought for $100 back in the 80's. Is it functional, sure, is it well built, yep, does it play amazing yep. I love playing on them and I generally do fairly well on them, but it sure is ugly ;)

View attachment 598715

And I honestly don't know the differences between the different GC's so I can't comment on that but I doubt there's a GC anywhere in the world that I would pass up to buy a diamond.

I think the key is - I'm not looking to be a pro and am very happy with my current level of play and have no desire to buy a table simply because "it's the best" and it's the shiny new kid on the block and it will make you play better. If I buy a table it's primary intent is for enjoyment of the game but it also must look good ;)

The Predator is a much cleaner looking table but I would still prefer a GC, I would consider replacing my current table (Gandy) with a Predator if the price was right and I liked the available colors.
I wouldn't hold my breath about the price ever being right.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Amazes me the number of twelve-year-olds on this site. You just keep picking and picking and picking. I'll put it this way... If I was looking for advice on the construction or an assembly of a pool table, Glenn would be the man.... In spite of any of his failings. I would take his advice long before I would most of the pool cue jockeys on this website. Get it?

Now back to the table. I did see two examples of pocket rattle on wpc highlights. And those were so badly hit, they should never even got near the pocket. I seen no balls coming back out of pocket. But just because it didn't happen at that particular tournament doesn't mean it's not going to happen. I've watched many, many tournaments where no balls were spit back out of a Diamond pocket.

From what I seen, the Predator tables played way too easy for a professional event... Especially for what was supposed to been a world-class event.

Last edited:

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Amazes me the number of twelve-year-olds on this site. You just keep picking and picking and picking. I'll put it this way... If I was looking for advice on the construction or an assembly of a pool table, Glenn would be the man.... In spite of any of his failings. I would take his advice long before I would most of the pool cue jockeys on this website. Get it?

Now back to the table. I did see two examples of pocket rattle on wpc highlights. And those were so badly hit oh, they should never even got near the pocket. None of balls coming back out of pocket. But just because it didn't happen at that particular tournament doesn't mean it's not going to happen. I've watched plenty of tournaments were there were no balls were spit back out of a Dianond pocket.

From what I seen, the Predator tables played way too easy for a professional event... Especially for what was supposed to been a world-class event.
Agreed... but lets remember who came in stomping his feet with his horribly obvious biased opinion and stated that the WPC (predator/Sam, or presumably more improtant to him, non-Diamond) tables played poorly with 'Olhausen rattle' and supposedly spat balls back out during the event. You may prefer to hug his nuts but I don't have a problem pointing out that he's making unsubstanitated claims against a competitor's product, and ducking when called on it. The man is easily the most inflammatory self serving poster on this forum. I'm amazed at what some of you are willing to let slide. Get it?

So to the actual topic. So we have two cases of pocket rattle resulting from poorly hit balls. I don't think we should condem the table/pocket for not allowing a poorly hit ball to drop. Now we still don't have any evidence of a ball being ejected after being cleanly pocketed. ...but just because we have no evidence doesn't mean it isn't possible...? Ok, I'm always willing to accept possibilities without precedent. But that must also mean although you personally haven't seen it happen on a Diamond it's possible as well...? I mean, zero evidence is zero evidence right..?

I think we all can agree the tables could/should have been tougher and that would be more becoming of a World Championship in terms of a test of skill. In the end though it's about entertainment value, and I haven't yet seen complaints about the packages being put together. Only that players considered weaker were able to succeed if the elite drop the ball, (or in this case didn't drop it).

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hug no ones nut sac. If you re-read my paragraph I said DESPITE HIS FAILINGS. I don't follow Glenn like I'm some kind of groupie, so I don't know what all of his opinions are on all tables. But I don't recall him bad-mouthing a well set-up Gold Crown.

The whole point I was making is there isn't a single person that has commented so far that's even seen a Predator pool table in person, let alone played on one, and think they know everything about it because they seen one on TV.

I'm not against Predator products. I just don't think they've hit a home run with this table yet. But, like everybody else on here, I'm only basing that opinion on one tournament. The future may change my mind.

Okay. At least the discussions back on track where it should be. It's not that the Predator table wasn't accepting badly hit shots. It was that the Predator table was ACCEPTING badly hit shots. From many of the players. The one ball I seen rattle hit the cushion A diamond and a half up. Of course it shouldn't have dropped. It should never even made it in a jaw of the pocket. But it did. I will try to find that match when I get time

And this table is very very young. I assure you at some point in time you're going to see balls get a ejected right back out just like with any other table on the market.

I mean really... We've seen one tournament played with these tables. How many tournaments where played on Gold Crowns, Diamond, Olhousen, Rasson, or any other tournament table on the market before an rejected ball was seen?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hug no ones nut sac. If you re-read my paragraph I said DESPITE HIS FAILINGS. I don't follow Glenn like I'm some kind of groupie, so I don't know what all of his opinions are on all tables. But I don't recall him bad-mouthing a well set-up Gold Crown.

The whole point I was making is there isn't a single person that has commented so far that's even seen a Predator pool table in person, let alone played on one, and think they know everything about it because they seen one on TV.

I'm not against Predator products. I just don't think they've hit a home run with this table yet. But, like everybody else on here, I'm only basing that opinion on one tournament. The future may change my mind.

Okay. At least the discussions back on track where it should be. It's not that the Predator table wasn't accepting badly hit shots. It was that the Predator table was ACCEPTING badly hit shots. From many of the players. The one ball I seen rattle hit the cushion A diamond and a half up. Of course it shouldn't have dropped. It should never even made it in a jaw of the pocket. But it did. I will try to find that match when I get time

And this table is very very young. I assure you at some point in time you're going to see balls get a ejected right back out just like with any other table on the market.

I mean really... We've seen one tournament played with these tables. How many tournaments where played on Gold Crowns, Diamond, Olhousen, Rasson, or any other tournament table on the market before an rejected ball was seen?
I've seen Diamond's at DCC do the EXACT same thing. ANY table with brand-new worsted cloth accepts shots that won't ever go once cloth is broken in. From what i watched those tables played fine.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen Diamond's at DCC do the EXACT same thing. ANY table with brand-new worsted cloth accepts shots that won't ever go once cloth is broken in. From what i watched those tables played fine.
True. But in my opinion there was still a lot of balls crapped in that should have never went.

Does anybody know what the exact pocket dimensions were for the corner and side pockets on these Predator tables?

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
True. But in my opinion there was still a lot of balls crapped in that should have never went.

Does anybody know what the exact pocket dimensions were for the corner and side pockets on these Predator tables?
4.25" Corners. Most likely 5" Sides.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For a professional event, pocket size should be 4.125" Corners, 4.875" Sides with 141 degree corner miters, 102 degree side miters with 15 degree down angles. The pocket shelf should be a minimum of 1.125".

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For a professional event, pocket size should be 4.125" Corners, 4.875" Sides with 141 degree corner miters, 102 degree side miters with 15 degree down angles. The pocket shelf should be a minimum of 1.125".
They don't need to be that tight. Leads to what i call 'cinch pool' where all they do is play really tight,safe pool. Boring as shit to watch. Diamond's with 4.5 ProCuts are imo perfect size. Tight enough but still allows more aggressive style of play. Derby has used this set-up for over 20yrs with little to no complaints.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
P

They look wider than 4.25" and the end cushions looked cupped instead of straight .
They were generous .
Most likely payed generous because the cloth was new and didn't have the chance to break in. They mentioned on the broadcast the corners were 4.25".

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Most likely payed generous because the cloth was new and didn't have the chance to break in. They mentioned on the broadcast the corners were 4.25".
I think they were wrong . Even with no cloth, I saw a hard hit ball that should have not gone in.
It's that cupping at the end rail that swallows the ball imo.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And there was commentary by Karl Boyes and Jason Shaw where they mentioned the tables were too easy, and how it benefited lesser players. But that could have been crying because they got knocked out so early.