PRO pool players = to CEO's

satman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most Pro Billiards players, are just like a CEO of a major corporation,,, They see a chance for a short term gain, and take it,,,, instead of looking at the long term. This is why we have no actual Pro Billiards tour. Greed for today, always kills tomorrow.

I was thinking about this, while driving my kids to school this morning. If you have been around pool for very long, you've seen this very thing, a lot....

LeagueGuy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most Pro Billiards players, are just like a CEO of a major corporation,,, They see a chance for a short term gain, and take it,,,, instead of looking at the long term. This is why we have no actual Pro Billiards tour. Greed for today, always kills tomorrow.

I was thinking about this, while driving my kids to school this morning. If you have been around pool for very long, you've seen this very thing, a lot....

I have to disagree with that statement.

Pro players are like most salesmen. They will do or say anything to get a lead, prosepect or close a sale. The player do or say anything to get an edge, quick cash, or something else short term.

The majority of CEO's are long term thinkers and planners who will take a littel short term pain, some short term bad PR if necessary for the greater good of the corporation.

In short I think most promoters and tour directors are closer to a CEO than a player is.

Leagueguy

satman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to disagree with that statement.

Pro players are like most salesmen. They will do or say anything to get a lead, prosepect or close a sale. The player do or say anything to get an edge, quick cash, or something else short term.

The majority of CEO's are long term thinkers and planners who will take a littel short term pain, some short term bad PR if necessary for the greater good of the corporation.

In short I think most promoters and tour directors are closer to a CEO than a player is.

Leagueguy

While I don't necessarily mean all CEO's... there were quite a few who lost their minds right before we hit the recession. They went against all the better business sense, and tried to make themselves look good with massive short term gains. Not all Pro players fall into this group either. It's just a general comparison, and it's just my opinion. You're welcome to dis-agree.

satman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yea, I agree

The "catch 22" is that the pro players can't afford NOT to go for that short term gain.

BUT,,, There have been times, that they could have had a chance to look long term, and a few of them had to try and take advantage of the system. I feel for them, I really do. It's a tough life, and very few will survive it for more than a few years. I still believe, someday, someone with some dough, and some good knowledge of pool, will succeed in building a real tour, with rules that apply fairly to eveyone. And most importantly, will allow the players a chance to earn a decent living.

Buckzapper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

To me, most of them are more like a Used Car Salesman, slippery, crooked and untrustworthy.

Reactions: KRJ

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member

Most Pro Players are NOT like CEO's they don't fly in corporate jets, they don't set on the board of other companies. They also aren't millionaires or billionaires. They don't have thousands of people working for them. The vast majority of Pro Players don't have a college degree much less a Masters in Business. Most Pro Players don't even have the Stock Options of a CEO. I don't really see how they are alike at all besides being human beings and that part is debatable for many.

cigardave

Who's got a light?
Silver Member
The sad part of our beloved game is pool/billiards is currently not a product that America is willing to buy/support other than at a subsistence level.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Since they are CEOs who would they goto for a bailout?

Drew

Got a little dog in you?
Silver Member

Obviously, you don't know too many CEO's.

Drew

Got a little dog in you?
Silver Member
Most Pro Players are NOT like CEO's they don't fly in corporate jets, they don't set on the board of other companies. They also aren't millionaires or billionaires. They don't have thousands of people working for them. The vast majority of Pro Players don't have a college degree much less a Masters in Business. Most Pro Players don't even have the Stock Options of a CEO. I don't really see how they are alike at all besides being human beings and that part is debatable for many.

Lmao@ridiculous assumptions.

...in that case case, most CEO's aren't like "most" CEO's.