Prodigy Shafts - Anyone tried one?

smokeandapancak said:
BP .. did you buy a deano cue also ?

So many comedians out of work and everyone is trying to be funny :D :D :D


LOL

No Smoke, I won't ever buy a Deano. Nothing against him, just not my thing.
I am intrigued by the the review that GP gave however. He is known for being a tough critic and if he thought the cue played good, than it probably does. He has had just about everything.
 
If I go send $2500+ on a Mottey, Searing, Bender, TS etc. Pick your favorite.

It will not improve my game. It might make you play great for a while from the confidence it brings, but the name/price on the cue has no improvement value.

Now sticking with whatever you like can improve your game because you get used to whatever it does. It becomes predictable.
 
BPG24 said:
If it takes you or me a month or two, to adjust to anything that will improve our game. I don't see why you would question it. If someone was extremely lazy and wouldn't put in the work, then I could see your point.

I agree knowledge outweighs equipment. NO QUESTION!!!
But, why stop with knowledge? You are only hurting yourself if you do.

Part of that knowledge is being able to understand what equipment can and will improve your/my game.
I get what you are saying but here is the thing. Most recreational players (guys who do not play open events frequently) of which I am one, have a limited amount of time to spend on the game, you can call it lazy I guess, most just call it life. So based on this limited amount of time, which would serve most best? Instruction and competition or practicing with a piece of gear that may or may not actually make a noticable difference after a couple of months?

I used to shoot USPSA pistol competions. I was a severe gear queer and chased every new gadet and hot set up there was. I spent more time adjusting and readjusting than improving. Finally I took that money I was spending on equipment and took some lessons from a world champion and bought a ridiculous amount of ammo. Wonder of wonders in 6 months I had moved from a middle of the pack shooter to a threat to win any local match and a high finisher in regional events. People marveled at the quick improvement. It all came from practicing the fundementals of the game and disregarding the things that had side tracked me before.

Shooting is sort of like pool in that you must perform various skills on demand under the heat of competion. For me I noticed signifcant improvement when I could focus on the task at hand instead thinking about what I had to do to compensate for the mod I made last week.

But back to the shafts....I guess my question is when do you stop chasing improvement through equipment and just focus on the game?
 
I'm just saying .. a 300 dollar miracle is alot cheap than a 500 dollar miracle... and it's twice as much wood !!!


Confession...
I was setting at home one night last week .. had a "few" beers.. (German type) and finally said "Screw it" sent Dean a PM and said that I wanted to buy a cue... He sends me a PM back (after I pass o..ahem.. go to bed) and says that I dont sound convinced about his product and that I should call him to discuss...

Thank God those were "good " brews... saved me 3 bills... !!
 
The person who first commented on loss of action on a predator (to me personally) was Joe Tucker. I'm sure that by now, Joe's reputation concerning such matters is respected, so I'll trust his comment. It is absolutely true that having the most accurate measurement tool in the world isnt' much good if you can hit the side of a horse's butt with it. So, yes, improvement of one's game is much more important an an improvement in equipment. All I was trying to say is that if you are for a penny (playing with a $200 predator), you might as well jump in for the pound. You might gain more life and satisfaction from it than you would a $300 dress for the wife. Of course, don't tell the wife that! And seeing that the best in this game cannot seem to make more than an average living year in and year out, billiards has got to be about one's own satisfaction in playing the game.

tim
 
JCIN, I am not and will not argue the fact that lessons are the way to go for your average league player or recreational player. You are 100% correct about it. IMO

Right now mainly due to my health and work, I can't put in the time needed to adjust to a shaft or a lesson. Lessons can screw you up longer than shafts. I know this from experience. They pay off if you continue to work at what you learned. When I get well enough to practice and get back into pool, I will be wanting to start with the best equipment for MY game. One of the main reasons that I started this thread was to gather information. Maybe these shafts are for me, maybe they aren't.

Somehow I think you get the idea that I haven't been around pool long enough to know the benefits of lessons/practice/equipment. I do understand what you get from each one. I also know that many people, disregard what technology can do to improve their game. Some people fear change. Some just can't believe that technology will improve their game. Lessons and Technology are very similar in the fact that they both are worthless unless you put in the time to benefit from them.


I can relate to your competition shooting story, because I treated golf the same way for a long time. I also had a good friend who was a competition shooter. He had more crap that I had never heard of on his guns. It was unreal how much money he put into that stuff.

Anyway. Back to getting info about the shafts
 
Last edited:
smokeandapancak said:
I'm just saying .. a 300 dollar miracle is alot cheap than a 500 dollar miracle... and it's twice as much wood !!!


Confession...
I was setting at home one night last week .. had a "few" beers.. (German type) and finally said "Screw it" sent Dean a PM and said that I wanted to buy a cue... He sends me a PM back (after I pass o..ahem.. go to bed) and says that I dont sound convinced about his product and that I should call him to discuss...

Thank God those were "good " brews... saved me 3 bills... !!


That's funny!!!!

I bet we see some of them on the secondary market before too terribly long.
Some will probably love them and some will hate them. That's why we have so many choices. We don't all like the same things.
 
i dont believe in lessons. unless there's something really wrong with the way your doing things it probably won't help. not saying a shaft will but it'll be there in a couple of days.

just don't buy the way somepeople say there's a "right way" to approach pool. with each person being so different who exactly says what's right. even high level players don't always do things the "right way" they do what works
 
poolplayer2093 said:
What kind of information are you looking for?


More than just 2 opinions. lol

Spending that kind of money on 1 shaft is a big deal to me. I make 35k per and have 2 kids. :eek:

Hopefully some other people will chime in.
 
BPG24 said:
Now sticking with whatever you like can improve your game because you get used to whatever it does. It becomes predictable.

That's boring ... what would I do with my time and money???

Jazz <--- needing excuses for why I suck at pool
 
Jazz said:
That's boring ... what would I do with my time and money???

Jazz <--- needing excuses for why I suck at pool
Wait for my helium-filled shaft.
If I accidentally gouge one, you get first dib.:eek: :D
 
to poolplayer 2093

On Ron's website under Exotic wood series, mine is very similar to o3-08. I ordered mine from the "cues being built" section and wanted it left plain. He e-mailed me no less than 5 times trying to bump the price by adding points or decorations I did not want. Mine is slightly plainer than the one pictured.
 
BP, what exactly are you shooting with now that has caused you such consternation ?? Further, what kind of shooting are you doing ? League ? Money ? 9 ball, straight, one hole, etc. ? Just curious.

tim
 
stikapos said:
BP, what exactly are you shooting with now that has caused you such consternation ?? Further, what kind of shooting are you doing ? League ? Money ? 9 ball, straight, one hole, etc. ? Just curious.

tim


What i am playing with now has nothing to do with me wanting to know about these shafts. I currently play with an Alex Brick, but I have owned about 100 cues in the last 12 or so years.

I play big table 8/9/10 ball and 1 hole
No bar boxes at all

Still hoping someone else has used these shafts.

Thanks
 
So sorry for asking. You said you made $35K with kids, so I was asking to see what I could do for you (purely gratis....I make xtimes that with no kids), but it looks like you were being sarcastic about your married with children remark. Good luck with your search for a silver bullet.
tim
 
stikapos said:
So sorry for asking. You said you made $35K with kids, so I was asking to see what I could do for you (purely gratis....I make xtimes that with no kids), but it looks like you were being sarcastic about your married with children remark. Good luck with your search for a silver bullet.
tim


What????????????

I think you are confused
 
Back
Top