Q-wiz Shaft Cleaner Users

teedotaj

teedot oohhhhhh
Silver Member
I use qwiz to clean my shafts. But I've always wondered if it actually takes off some of the wood. Every time I use it, the Q-wiz pad is filled with white dust. I know it says on the packaging it doesn't actually shave off wood from the shaft but if that's the case, what's the white dust that sticks to the qwiz pad?

The first time I used it, my shaft was really dirty from playing so the amount of "stuff" that it took off from the shaft was no surprise. But now every time I use it, it still takes off the same amount despite the shaft being a lot cleaner.

Anyone else who use qwhiz and your experience with them? Do you notice any reductions in your shaft's diameter? I really like the way this product cleans the shaft but should I be worried?

Thank you!

nancewayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is abrasive (rough surface). How much loss of wood (and dirt) will be removed depends on how hard and how much scrubbing you do on the shaft. One of the best cleaners (and least destructive of wood removal) is the Magic Eraser (made by Mr.Clean). Use it preferably with rubbing alcohol (or water), then burnish the wood until it is smooth. That should get most of the dirt, hand oil and chalk out of the wood grain and surface. In between times when playing, us a damp/moist cloth or paper towel and quickly wipe the shaft then immediately follow by lightly wiping with a dry cloth or paper towel. More burnishing will make align the wood grain and make the shaft slicker.
Good Luck!

I use qwiz to clean my shafts. But I've always wondered if it actually takes off some of the wood. Every time I use it, the Q-wiz pad is filled with white dust. I know it says on the packaging it doesn't actually shave off wood from the shaft but if that's the case, what's the white dust that sticks to the qwiz pad?

The first time I used it, my shaft was really dirty from playing so the amount of "stuff" that it took off from the shaft was no surprise. But now every time I use it, it still takes off the same amount despite the shaft being a lot cleaner.

Anyone else who use qwhiz and your experience with them? Do you notice any reductions in your shaft's diameter? I really like the way this product cleans the shaft but should I be worried?

Thank you!

TWOFORPOOL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Q-Wiz Shaft Cleaner

I use wax on my cue. When the cue gets a little dirty I use a Q-Wiz. It takes off a little wax with dirt in it. It doesn't take any wood off. After a few times using the Q-Wiz I have the shaft re-waxed and start this process over again. Shaft stays the same size.

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As mentioned, anything abrasive is going to remove wood. Sand it once and the calipers wont read a size difference, do it everyday for a month and I'm sure they would. Just use a magic eraser/alcohol and then burnish with a piece of cardboard. It will keep it clean and size will never change.

teedotaj

teedot oohhhhhh
Silver Member
As mentioned, anything abrasive is going to remove wood. Sand it once and the calipers wont read a size difference, do it everyday for a month and I'm sure they would. Just use a magic eraser/alcohol and then burnish with a piece of cardboard. It will keep it clean and size will never change.

I use it everytime I play (after). I thought it wouldn't shave anything off the shaft as the package says not to worry about it. Damn..lol.

teedotaj

teedot oohhhhhh
Silver Member
I use wax on my cue. When the cue gets a little dirty I use a Q-Wiz. It takes off a little wax with dirt in it. It doesn't take any wood off. After a few times using the Q-Wiz I have the shaft re-waxed and start this process over again. Shaft stays the same size.

So you're saying if I wax my shaft before using qwiz..the qwiz would be shaving off the wax instead right?

What type of wax do you recommend?

center pocket

It's just a hobby, but a fun one.
Silver Member
I use the q wiz slippies as well. It does take a little off. I don’t use mine unless my shaft gets really grimy. Normally I use a moist towel immediately followed by a dry towel and some vigorous rubbing (I know funny huh?). I care a little spray bottle in my case full of rubbing alcohol. One spray on to my towel and rub the shaft works even better. I got tired of having to clean the q wiz slips under the water after every use so that’s another reason I don’t use them that often too.

They do work great though, but I don’t use mine enough to cause any damage.

jrt30004

just jokin' around
Silver Member
So you're saying if I wax my shaft before using qwiz..the qwiz would be shaving off the wax instead right?

butchers. if you search it you should find some threads about it. a lot of people swear by it. when i have my cues cleaned up by steve lomax i'm pretty sure that's the brand he uses as well.

Break8Run9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use mine weekly and I haven't noticed but I barely press it on there also. I am gonna have to try the alcohol thing instead tho

teedotaj

teedot oohhhhhh
Silver Member
I use the q wiz slippies as well. It does take a little off. I don’t use mine unless my shaft gets really grimy. Normally I use a moist towel immediately followed by a dry towel and some vigorous rubbing (I know funny huh?). I care a little spray bottle in my case full of rubbing alcohol. One spray on to my towel and rub the shaft works even better. I got tired of having to clean the q wiz slips under the water after every use so that’s another reason I don’t use them that often too.

They do work great though, but I don’t use mine enough to cause any damage.

What exactly does the alcohol do?

JerseyBill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shaft Cleaner

Thank you!

Hi,
I'm not familiar with that product, Maybe it's real good. I just felt like telling you that Steve Mizerak used to use Lighter Fluid to clean his shafts. I'm not sure of the exact applications. You might want to ask a cuemaker with a lot of experience if he ever heard of this. I know Pete Toscarella would know.
JerseyBill

teedotaj

teedot oohhhhhh
Silver Member

TWOFORPOOL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I have Greg Sowder (Sowder Custom Cues) put wax on my shafts. I don't have a clue what type of wax he uses. I pay him 5.00 once a month to wax my shaft and take out any dings that might show up. Since I'm only removing wax with at Q-Wiz I'm not loosing any wood.

I'm sure if you start a thread in "Ask the Cuemaker" you will get the response you are looking for.

nksmfamjp

Refugee...
Silver Member
I"ll add some feul to this. . .I use Qclean for cleaning. If you just want to get the shaft to bright white, this is the best product I have used. Water or alcohol must be added slightly to form the slurry on your paper towel or whatever. It kind of leaves the cue rough, but clean. After that, a quick hit with Qsmooth papers(sanding) and finally a wax. The sanding is the only abrasive, but Q smooth seems like it starts at about 600 - 800 grit and rarely do I use that paper, unless I have fixed a dent. Cue wax of some kind makes the finish last for a long time.

About sanding,with grits as fine as Qsmooth, you could sand for a while before you cut .01mm. Besides, proper use of Q smooth is about 20 strokes per grit, so, very minimal.

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
The Q Wiz gets white when it's used. The white is wood! Duh!!!!

How there can be any argument about this is beyond me. It's white. That's wood from the shaft. End of story.

woody_968

BRING BACK 14.1
Silver Member
I pay him 5.00 once a month to wax my shaft

Do you have ANY idea how difficult it is to not comment on this? :p

As per the original thread, I know its frowned upon but I have often used lighter fluid and haven't had any troubles. Yea, I know, there could be damage that I dont know about, but oh well.

teedotaj

teedot oohhhhhh
Silver Member
The Q Wiz gets white when it's used. The white is wood! Duh!!!!

How there can be any argument about this is beyond me. It's white. That's wood from the shaft. End of story.

I realise that. Which is why I'm wondering why the packaging would say it wouldn't damage your cue. DUH!

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
I realise that. Which is why I'm wondering why the packaging would say it wouldn't damage your cue. DUH!

Yeah I know what you mean. Packaging usually has such honest information. :groucho:

teedotaj

teedot oohhhhhh
Silver Member
Yeah I know what you mean. Packaging usually has such honest information. :groucho:

I fell for it..lol

And I thought it's such a good product the way it makes the shaft silky smooth without reducing the wood :(