QB Looks Like It Goes Between Two Balls...but it don't

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Since I've been playing every day again 75% of my game came back. I'm not worried about the 25% I'm missing as I know what the problems are and and can fix them. I've only been playing again for about a month...if that.

One problem is that I keep thinking the QB will go between two balls and when I hit it (even with QB close to the two balls I hit one of the ball instead of it going through the space between them. The ten times or so I had a shot like that and thought it would go through I took a ball to see if it would. Most of the time it didn't. To me it looked like I had plenty of room. I hope glasses aren't needed. I make table length shots with no problem (Valley 7 ft).

I'm wondering if the two strokes I had screwed something up in my brain. I seem to see everything else OK. I must be hitting my spot on the OB or they wouldn't be going in the pockets. I've ran a 41 and about a dozen in the thirties. Anyone else have this problem? Johnnyt
 
Firstly, it's always a good thing to read that someone is back at playing pool!

Secondly... although I am not as good of a player as you are I'd still like to give an advice, if you don't mind.

I suggest you to try the following practice method: put the QB on the spot - where the 1 ball is in the 9-ball rack (sorry don't know the exact name of that spot in English) and place Two object balls to the right and left to the other spot. Those two OBs should be away from each other by the width of the QB and some more.

The point is to hit the QB through that space that's between those two OBs, hit the end rail and then "land" the QB next to the other rail - just like the lag at the beginning of a match.

Start practicing and by time put the two OBs closer and closer to each other.

Maybe this would help - well, I hope it does!

Edit: here's probably one of The Most Shameful pics ever on Az :-$
practice.JPG
 
Last edited:
Well,Lets say the cue ball is 2.25 inches,and the path of the 2 balls is 1.50 inches apart....................J/k.:D
could'nt resist Johnny,sorry.;)
 
poohkiller said:
Firstly, it's always a good thing to read that someone is back at playing pool!

Secondly... although I am not as good of a player as you are I'd still like to give an advice, if you don't mind.

I suggest you to try the following practice method: put the QB on the spot - where the 1 ball is in the 9-ball rack (sorry don't know the exact name of that spot in English) and place Two object balls to the right and left to the other spot. Those two OBs should be away from each other by the width of the QB and some more.

Start practicing and by time put the two OBs closer and closer to each other.

Maybe this would help - well, I hope it does!

I started off with this on a snooker table. I put OB's stating at the blue spot down past the black spot. I started with 2 ball width and worked my way in. This should help determining eye or stroke. If you make it past the balls and it doesn't make it back through them, stroke... If it doesn't make it past, eyes/really bad aim.
 
jimmy-leggs said:
Well,Lets say the cue ball is 2.25 inches,and the path of the 2 balls is 1.50 inches apart....................J/k.:D
could'nt resist Johnny,sorry.;)

Do you play at OC's any?
 
Yo John,

Here's a little tip so you NEVER hit either one of the two balls. Jack up a little and do a slight jump shot through the opening. This will be enough to insure you get your cue ball thru safely. And you can still shoot accurately this way. Works for me and my old eyes too. :smile:
 
poohkiller said:
Firstly, it's always a good thing to read that someone is back at playing pool!

Secondly... although I am not as good of a player as you are I'd still like to give an advice, if you don't mind.

I suggest you to try the following practice method: put the QB on the spot - where the 1 ball is in the 9-ball rack (sorry don't know the exact name of that spot in English) and place Two object balls to the right and left to the other spot. Those two OBs should be away from each other by the width of the QB and some more.

The point is to hit the QB through that space that's between those two OBs, hit the end rail and then "land" the QB next to the other rail - just like the lag at the beginning of a match.

Start practicing and by time put the two OBs closer and closer to each other.

Maybe this would help - well, I hope it does!

Edit: here's probably one of The Most Shameful pics ever on Az :-$
View attachment 82618

Thank you for the advice. I did that yesterday and no problem when the balls are wide enough apart to get the QB through. My problem is when I'm eying up the shot it looks like the QB goes through the two balls. Probably 50% of the time or more when I think it will, it won't. Now when I think the QB goes through I take a ball and see if it does go through. In a lot of cases it don't. I've played for over 50 years and never remember having this problem...and most of the time I had plenty to drink while playing. Johnnyt
 
Jason Robichaud said:
Do you play at OC's any?
Sometimes with Joanne,Bev,Collyne.And you?This is the first year I have'nt played league.The only pool I'm getting in these days is at Classic Q in-house league as a spare.
 
Last edited:
Johnnyt said:
Since I've been playing every day again 75% of my game came back. I'm not worried about the 25% I'm missing as I know what the problems are and and can fix them. I've only been playing again for about a month...if that.

One problem is that I keep thinking the QB will go between two balls and when I hit it (even with QB close to the two balls I hit one of the ball instead of it going through the space between them. The ten times or so I had a shot like that and thought it would go through I took a ball to see if it would. Most of the time it didn't. To me it looked like I had plenty of room. I hope glasses aren't needed. I make table length shots with no problem (Valley 7 ft).

I'm wondering if the two strokes I had screwed something up in my brain. I seem to see everything else OK. I must be hitting my spot on the OB or they wouldn't be going in the pockets. I've ran a 41 and about a dozen in the thirties. Anyone else have this problem? Johnnyt

jack up and go over 'em
 
probably not a big deal

Johnny,

Probably the big deal is that your eyeballs aren't calibrated yet after not shooting for so long. Seems like you are just misjudging the gap so what you need to do is spend some time looking at the gap that will let the cue ball pass through and remember that as your new calibration. I have to shoot at bigger holes than I once did but I think my problem is that my ball path just isn't as accurate as it once was.

Hu



Johnnyt said:
Since I've been playing every day again 75% of my game came back. I'm not worried about the 25% I'm missing as I know what the problems are and and can fix them. I've only been playing again for about a month...if that.

One problem is that I keep thinking the QB will go between two balls and when I hit it (even with QB close to the two balls I hit one of the ball instead of it going through the space between them. The ten times or so I had a shot like that and thought it would go through I took a ball to see if it would. Most of the time it didn't. To me it looked like I had plenty of room. I hope glasses aren't needed. I make table length shots with no problem (Valley 7 ft).

I'm wondering if the two strokes I had screwed something up in my brain. I seem to see everything else OK. I must be hitting my spot on the OB or they wouldn't be going in the pockets. I've ran a 41 and about a dozen in the thirties. Anyone else have this problem? Johnnyt
 
ShootingArts said:
Johnny,

Probably the big deal is that your eyeballs aren't calibrated yet after not shooting for so long. Seems like you are just misjudging the gap so what you need to do is spend some time looking at the gap that will let the cue ball pass through and remember that as your new calibration. I have to shoot at bigger holes than I once did but I think my problem is that my ball path just isn't as accurate as it once was.

Hu
Thank you...that makes sense. Johnnyt
 
Jamison Neu set that shot up for me to do. To see/checkout some of my bad habits!! Plenty as he stated. 5 try and never did get through.
 
Im sure you have took this into consideration but is the qball one of those bigger barbox qballs? Just a thought. I don't know your playing history but i thought if you played with the red circle or red dot heck i don't know but the smaller qball's whatever size they are 2.25? Then switching to a bigger qball could throw of your judgment.
 
BigDaddyInc. said:
Im sure you have took this into consideration but is the qball one of those bigger barbox qballs? Just a thought. I don't know your playing history but i thought if you played with the red circle or red dot heck i don't know but the smaller qball's whatever size they are 2.25? Then switching to a bigger qball could throw of your judgment.

It's a Red Circle. I'm begining to think my 67 years of age are throwing me off.
Johnnyt
 
Back
Top