Question about a spot...

Ironman317

Cash Me In....
Silver Member
if you are giving someone the call 6, call 8 and the last 3 and the 6,8 and 9 are left on the table...if they call the 6 in the corner pocket and slop it in the side...should that count? its the "call" 6, but it was also one of the last 3...just curious. this came up tonight while watching two guys play. they discussed it for a while...the guy giving the spot ended up counting it as a win.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thats a convoluted spot that wasnt worked out well enough before they played. I would say no, its not a win, because the "last 3" spot shouldnt take precedence over the call 6.
To make things easier and clearer in the future, the spot should have been the 6 through 9, call all money balls. Simple to understand, and would save the spotter some grief when loopholes in his wording pop up.
Chuck

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ironman317 said:
if you are giving someone the call 6, call 8 and the last 3 and the 6,8 and 9 are left on the table...if they call the 6 in the corner pocket and slop it in the side...should that count? its the "call" 6, but it was also one of the last 3...just curious. this came up tonight while watching two guys play. they discussed it for a while...the guy giving the spot ended up counting it as a win.

I would say he does not win but in the same respect he also does not lose his turn and continues to shoot.

Ironman317

Cash Me In....
Silver Member
macguy said:
I would say he does not win but in the same respect he also does not lose his turn and continues to shoot.

thats what i was thinking, but i wasnt asked so i didnt volunteer my opinion. it would have made a difference also, because he did not have shape on the 8 afterwards.

poolpop63

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have always played call 6, call 8 and last three is that the last three applies to the 9, and any two balls that are not the 6 or 8. Like the 5 and 7 and 9 are left. The 5, 7, 9 would be "wild" in this particular rack. If the 6, 8, 9 are the last three left, u must call 6 and 8 ..but 9 would be wild. If u make the 6 or 8 in a different pocket, u don't win but still shoot.

Mike Templeton

Confidence........
Silver Member
I think the guy should win. If it is one of the last 3 and it goes, I think it should be a win.

Mike

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike Templeton said:
I think the guy should win. If it is one of the last 3 and it goes, I think it should be a win.

Mike

I completely agree.

Thunderball

Auto rep for belly laughs
Silver Member
I'm with e and Mike.The last three is the last three no?

Aint no changin' that part of the spot I'd think.I gamble a little but I'm getting used to spots and the weight they carry.If I'm giving up that spot,I'm on the rack without hesitation.No discussion.

Like River said: Word it better and keep your spot from getting in its own way....Or live with it.

Imo

Edited to add that's not quite what River said lol. (but it's what he should have) ;)

Last edited:

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The guy called it so he didnt think it counted. Why would he call it if he didnt have to? No win! Keep shooting.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nostroke said:
The guy called it so he didnt think it counted. Why would he call it if he didnt have to? No win! Keep shooting.

He made a mistake or he wasn't thinking about it or he thought he could be sure there's no argument if he made it. Who knows?

But as some others have pointed out, this situation is a no-brainer: last three is last three. If there are three balls on the table, he wins by making a ball on a legal shot.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mikepage said:
He made a mistake or he wasn't thinking about it or he thought he could be sure there's no argument if he made it. Who knows?

But as some others have pointed out, this situation is a no-brainer: last three is last three. If there are three balls on the table, he wins by making a ball on a legal shot.

the last three is the last three but the called 6 is nothing? Im not so sure it's a no-brainer. It's just an argument waiting to happen.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Ironman317 said:

By not agreeing to 'rules' before starting play, stuff like this comes up allot and it can ruin the game/relationship. What I'd do, set the rules before play starts and agree if a situation comes up that was not discussed, flip a coin, who ever wins makes the call on that particular rule, and if another incident arises, the other player will make the call on the #2 rule, if more rules keep coming up, then do the same scenario over, or the Default rule always applies when you got the nuts.........."NEVER AGUE WITH A SUCKER".

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
The last three are wild when given as a spot unless otherwise specified. Whether the third to last ball is the six does not matter. This is a win.

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
RiverCity said:
Thats a convoluted spot that wasnt worked out well enough before they played. I would say no, its not a win, because the "last 3" spot shouldnt take precedence over the call 6.
To make things easier and clearer in the future, the spot should have been the 6 through 9, call all money balls. Simple to understand, and would save the spotter some grief when loopholes in his wording pop up.
Chuck
What is your reasoning that the call six should take precedence over the last three. One could argue the opposite. I agree that the rules left much doubt as to what is correct. They should be more specific.

Last edited:

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They should have definitely been more clear. I cant stand spots like "the last 3" mixed with calling money balls. I dont like to give anything wild, IMO call all money balls is the best policy for the spotter.
In this situation, to be completely clear, if the spotter was able to give this much weight and feel good about it, it really should not matter about loopholes. If the wording of the spot becomes an issue..... it was too big of a spot.
I would have forced the point that the 6 and 8 were to be called, and should have been called no matter if they were in the last 3 or not. Either way you look at it, one side of the spot can negate the other. If I were a bystander and was asked to help make a decision, I personally error on the side of the spotter.
Chuck

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The whole point of the last 3 spot vs. spotting numbered balls is that the value of the spot is preserved even if the higher numbered balls are made early. Last three is the last three balls, which in this case includes the 6. So I don't see any real ambiguity here.

Calling a ball when it's wild doesn't negate the wild-ness of the ball.

Cory

Dragon Cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since there's a difference between last 3 & last CALL 3, it's not a win because he didn't call THE 6.