Question about Chicago, Illinois

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Chris's is an iconic old school poolroom - it is my home room, and has been for 48 yrs. now ⏳🧙‍♂️ .....that said, some corrections are called for...

Chris's Billiard's still has 41 tables, 10 of which are Diamond barbox's.

Six of the 9ft. tables are Diamond's, the rest are gold crowns.

There are 5 billiard/3cushion tables.

As for snooker tables, there are 2, not 1, and they are 12 footers, not 10 footers.

I'm including some photos of Chris's...showing a little of Chris's three large rooms, and including pics of a very cute 3cushion player :), an 10 yr. old 'houseman' o_O, and two pretty decent players lagging for the break who I believe you'll all recognize ;).

- Ghost

P.S. Anybody who happens to come to Chicago, and likes to play One Pocket, pm me and we can have a game 👍
Thanks for the updates/corrections, Ghost. Now I'm thinking I might be remembering the Gabriels 9-footers from G-Cue Billiards (Karabatsos' room near Greektown).

pj
chgo

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
I know very little about Chicago but I did go to a tournament at Pheasant Run Resort back in the early 1990's while I was working on a big project in Milwaukee. Stayed there over the weekend. That was the first time I ever saw Billy Incardona in person. IIRC Roger Griffis or Reed Peirce won. Reed won the US Open shortly after. Both were exciting guys to watch play. I can't remember perfectly, but I think this was where Johnny and Francisco were gambling where one of them broke and ran 11 then they flipped and the other one ran 11. Might have that all wrong. Can't remember shit anymore. Hell, I might have not even been there. Thanks for reading.

iirc that happened at CJ'S down DALLAS way. 96ish

what are the chances if it happening twice??

Last edited:

Chicagoplayer

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
^ Uuh no.....Angel, re. Chris's equipment, I think you should read post #23.
Hi Bruce!
The last time I was at Chris’ was over 3 years ago- many of the back room tables were replaced with ping pong tables, they had sold off a couple of the billiard tables so there were empty places where they had been & there was no second snooker table.
I’ve been caring for my father with Alzheimer’s & haven’t been in since.
Hope all is well with you. Love to Riva☺️

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Chris's is an iconic old school poolroom - it is my home room, and has been for 48 yrs. now ⏳🧙‍♂️ .....that said, some corrections are in order...

Chris's Billiard's still has 41 tables, 10 of which are Diamond barbox's.

Six of the 9ft. tables are Diamond's, the rest are gold crowns.

There are 5 billiard/3cushion tables.

As for snooker tables, there are 2, not 1, and they are 12 footers, not 10 footers.

I'm including some photos of Chris's...showing a little of Chris's three large rooms, and including pics of a very cute 3cushion player :), a 10 yr. old 'houseman' o_O, and two pretty decent players lagging for the break who I believe you'll all recognize ;).

- Ghost

P.S. Anybody who happens to come to Chicago, and likes to play One Pocket, pm me and we can have a game 👍
ghost great to see you posting
hope all is well with you and riva
larry

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Bruce!
The last time I was at Chris’ was over 3 years ago- many of the back room tables were replaced with ping pong tables, they had sold off a couple of the billiard tables so there were empty places where they had been & there was no second snooker table.
I’ve been caring for my father with Alzheimer’s & haven’t been in since.
Hope all is well with you. Love to Riva☺️
Hey Angel, Was this after Buddy passed?? I can't imagine him putting in ping pong tables.. But you never know..

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, must’ve been Paul.
I’m not sure who this is, but I hope you’re well🙏
It is Dan. I owned the 1 st 58 1/2 inch Cog and have a stunning Kikel I showed you one night. Used to play on a team with Mike Eck and Scotty Cohen.. H Sorry to see your Dad is not well....Tough situation for you both...Live in NC now left Illinois four years ago...

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know very little about Chicago but I did go to a tournament at Pheasant Run Resort back in the early 1990's while I was working on a big project in Milwaukee. Stayed there over the weekend. That was the first time I ever saw Billy Incardona in person. IIRC Roger Griffis or Reed Peirce won. Reed won the US Open shortly after. Both were exciting guys to watch play. I can't remember perfectly, but I think this was where Johnny and Francisco were gambling where one of them broke and ran 11 then they flipped and the other one ran 11. Might have that all wrong. Can't remember shit anymore. Hell, I might have not even been there. Thanks for reading.

1 Pocket Ghost

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Angel & Larry, best wishes in these challenging times to you and yours from myself and Riva.

- Ghost

P.S. P-Ralf - sorry for the slight thread detour 🤛

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
iirc that happened at CJ'S down DALLAS way. 96ish

what are the chances if it happening twice??
You are correct. It was CJ vs Busty at the Pheasant Run event.

From another thread:
"CJ Wiley played Busty here and got drilled getting the 8 for 5k. After it was over, I still remember the corp backing Busty was trying to get down again, and Wincardona was there shaking his head and he told that group "What you got here is a ball running machine..." No bet.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chicago pool enthusiasts, players, and railbirds, if you haven't read "The Epitome of Cool" on Billiards Digest by Freddy the Beard's daughter, Catherine Bentivegna Adami, it is well worth your read. Check it out: The Epitome of Cool

The black-and-whites by Helaine Garren remind me of "The Hustler." Beautiful! Here's a couple.

Bensingers_7.jpg
Bensingers_8.jpg
Bensingers_9.jpg

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought we were talking about pool... C'mon Man!
The question was, why there were not more major pool tournaments in Chicago. The notion of getting mugged or shot, might be a deterrent to some people. You can get robbed or killed anywhere , but it seems you give yourself a real edge, if you visit there.

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
Gold Member
The question was, why there were not more major pool tournaments in Chicago. The notion of getting mugged or shot, might be a deterrent to some people. You can get robbed or killed anywhere , but it seems you give yourself a real edge, if you visit there.
Yah depending where you are at. Like every big city. There are good blocks and bad ones. Plus there were a bunch of interstate shootings earlier this year. If that’s not a huge deterrent from going downtown what is? It sucks going to downtown even in the middle of the day.

RADAR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sad part about Illinois during voting time 85% state is in red but blue cook county wins corruptive Politian's year after year due to its high electoral votes. Deep rooted public unions will continue to sink state in ground for more high taxes as well go into major financial debt. In fact if your not involved in a govt job dont count on any pay check left here as employee to a business. Be none! Illinois has become a DREAMERS LANE. Cant get water out of a dry hole.;)

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I do see your point now and understand what your saying. So I agree and appreciate your viewpoint. From my perspective, I lived in the streets as a young man for several years. I was a throw away child at 17. That experience taught me survival skills that have stayed with me since. I have little or no concern of being shot or murdered.

Add to that most of the murders and shootings in Chicago and areas nearby are gang on gang killings or shootings. There are random innocent victims too. But it is not prevalent everywhere it is mostly in pockets/neighborhoods where gangs are predominant. Avoiding those areas is how to avoid possibly being a victim. I never felt fear in the areas I played pool at when I lived there. Situational awareness and listening to my subconscious has kept me alive and injury free through riots and living in the streets...

Be well and thank you for your reply!

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I'm not from there nor have I ever visited, but from all accounts Chicago has a very good history when it comes to pool. I recently saw a video on the hall that the color of money was shot in and it's one of those old timeless places that seems like it will never go away.

Anyway, my question is, why are there no major pro pool tournaments being held in Chicago? Since I've been on this site I've never seen or heard of anyone doing anything in that city. Is it not possible?
40's and on.....

Brunswick Bowling and Billiards were part of the landscape in this part of the country.
Bristol WI was their headquarters, with watersports part of their pedigree.
The horse races were still going, the interstate highways were coming together.
No cell phones and $20 a night rooms were prevalent.
Bar table action was beginning.