Question for makers

danieldakota53

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is the best time saving idea that you would share you have came across in all your years of making that could really help many of the new or just learning makers now a days? Please share your ideas and stories.

Pedi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
QCTP on my Hightower lathe.
Most accessoires mounted on a topslide for easy change.
A tapering lathe and a tip lathe.

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
Dedicated machines for individual operations whereever possible really helps I have found.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
Dedicated machines for individual operations whereever possible really helps I have found.

Yes great idea... I have the point cutting router and the ring cutting router set up on their own top slide so I can just change the whole slide on my hightower in about 1 minute..

I like to make 6 to 10 cues at the same time so the same operation can be done on all of them with out changing the setup or tooling.

Kim

63Kcode

AKA Larry Vigus
Silver Member

^^this^^ and having auto stops on your tapering machines. I can have two of my machines running, knowing they will not crash. With me working on a third machine. I can get a lot done this way. It's like having two extra people in the shop.

Larry

kiinstructor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a shaft saw, butt saw and a cnc machine running just about all the time. I can work on a joint pin or something else on another lathe. They stop at the end of passes or programs. Basically 4 people working all at once unless someone decides to screw up like the butt saw stop comming loose and continuing to make a pass through the 1/4 inch metal top. Made a mess out of my blade. But what the heck its only 200 bucks. Yiiippppeeesss!!

danieldakota53

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for the wonderful replies thus far. I was hoping this post would offer many ideas to newer builders or those who have difficulty achieving some tasks in cue building. So far the replies are great and very helpful. Please keep them going as I think it will help so many people.

RBC

Deceased
This video is a little old, but you get the point. We've drastically improved our programming since we shot this. At that time we'd only had the machine about a week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8vltrnnegM

We use this machine to make all our large diameter rings and collars as well as do all the end work on all our cues. It will fully machine the back end of the cue for the rings and butt cap, threaded of course. Then allow us to glue and assemble them all. After that, it will face and machine the back end of the cue for the bumper and completely drill and tap for the weight bolt.

We now have 3 similar machines. 2 are smaller bore up to 1.0625", and this one is the big bore up to 1.625" I think.

Royce

cutter

Steve Klein Custom Cues
Silver Member
questions

Besides anything CNC which may not fail into the needs of a beginning cue maker.
My first real time saver was a good quality DRO for my Lathe. No more trying to remember backlash or squinting at little tick marks. Combined with a good QCTP
I can quickly make very accurate parts. (But no way near as fast as Royce's machines.)
I like Larry's lathe stops suggestion. Nothing more boring than watching a shaft turn.
The ultimate cheat in that is cnc, but mechanical is a great way to start.
I'd also consider a set tru chuck. Much faster than shimming.

RBC

Deceased
Besides anything CNC which may not fail into the needs of a beginning cue maker.
My first real time saver was a good quality DRO for my Lathe. No more trying to remember backlash or squinting at little tick marks. Combined with a good QCTP
I can quickly make very accurate parts. (But no way near as fast as Royce's machines.)
I like Larry's lathe stops suggestion. Nothing more boring than watching a shaft turn.
The ultimate cheat in that is cnc, but mechanical is a great way to start.
I'd also consider a set tru chuck. Much faster than shimming.

Well said Steve!

I just couldn't pass up a chance to show that video. I still feel like a kid with a new toy every time I see it run.

Royce

seanjonsean

Otanisan Cues
Silver Member
Instead of waiting for UPS , learn to make your own tools, like collets to fit your needs , tip centering tool , and so on but of course you will need to buy tools ....

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
Make cues in small batches .... say 5 or so..... do all the same operation on all cues at the same time.... like turn all the wood round..... make all the joint caps.... etc

This saves the time of setting up the lathe multiple times for the same operation........

Kim

treed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
helpful hints

i've made cues from my resin stabilized wood,there is less time in the finishing as there is little to no absorbsion and less coats needed.the little air bubbles hardly exsist.when i started doing this i thought the stabilizing was a trade off,not so true its a real gain in time .it cuts much smoother at ends,and hardly shrinks at all,and could almost be polished to a finish by itself

Attachments

• stabilized wood 1.jpg
    stabilized wood 1.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 96
  • stabilized wood 4.jpg
    stabilized wood 4.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 94
Last edited: