Question: Why do People Pay to Sign up to get Slaughtered?

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are a mediocre golfer but have the opportunity to play in a tournament where you might play against Tiger, or Phil, or Bubba you would jump at that. You know your going to get destroyed, but you want that opportunity to play against them. Same with any other single sport. When my friends and I played at Derby City, we always wanted the opportunity to play Efren, or Busty or Shane because when ever are we going to do that? You just hope to meet them after making the money round.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
First time I played in the UU Open was 2000. I was seeded so I drew a school teacher who told me this was a retirement present to himself.
I had to miscue on an 8-ball to get him on the wire. I told him when he played his B-side match to play extra aggressive..go for some early 9s...he said he’d already got his $$’s worth...said it was a pleasure.

These are the guys I like playing the game and I’ll spend some time with if they want to know something.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nope, I chopped off the tip of my left index finger and can't make a normal bridge anymore so I don't even play the game. Never figured out the open bridge so I just gave up the game for golf. Played golf every day for quite some time and then my shoulder went to hell. So I had to give up golf too. In golf I was an 11 Handicap at the 500 Club a very nice course here in Phoenix. Could normally shoot around 80-82 and my best score ever at the 500 Club was 76. So I was pretty much a C player at golf as well.
You quit because you lost the tip of your finger?
Nothing else needs to be said here. SMH

MrKnives

Sounds like you played and liked/loved golf.
Would you have ever ponied up $750 to play a round with Tiger, Nicklaus, Hogan or Palmer?
The problem is more on the tournament side that it’s arranged for that to be a possibility. Golf doesn’t allow for that possibility. You would play through local qualifiers to get to the golf USOpen which is the better approach IMO.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The problem is more on the tournament side that it’s arranged for that to be a possibility. Golf doesn’t allow for that possibility. You would play through local qualifiers to get to the golf USOpen which is the better approach IMO.

Also, the nature of Golf, even if Tiger shoots a 65 and you shoot an 85 you've still carded a round on (presumably) a championship course playing with Tiger.

Its probably a better memory than losing 9-0 to a pool pro :)

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I truly believe that many of these guys are simply trying to get into the money, and they are paying very deep here. For most of them that would be an accomplishment that they can be proud of. I never played in many tournaments because I knew I was a big underdog against the top guns (although I did win a few matches against name players). My goal was just to get into the money and cash. I have been able to do that in many of the tournaments that I played in. If I got my entry fee back that was a success for me. I think a lot of these guys would feel the same way.

Just another C player Jay. :)

smoochie

NotLikeThis
OK, look at the winner side bracket at the U. S. Open. As the cops say "all the usual suspects." Dennis, Shane, Neils, Max, Jason etc. Why would inferior players, who in their hearts must know that they're no match for any of these guys, pay money and sign up to get embarrassed by these people. Even established pros like Mika, Thorsten and Cory know that they're not going to win so why do they bother to play. At the beginning of any tournament there are ten guys that can win maybe 20 at the most if Taiwan and China are fully represented as clearly they are not this year. Back in Pittsburgh I played in every C tournament there was because I always had some chance of winning. I didn't play in tournaments where A players were going to kill me and I knew it. What am I missing here?
Alot of reasons.

Maybe to have fun? To say "I finally did that!"
To say "I've played in one of the biggest tournaments"?

I mean, not all the players are pro's in an OPEN tournament, I myself will do that too one year to go to the US Open and even play in it just to say that I finally managed to do it. I am a father with a job for very long hours, I also attend my dad and take care of him. With all this in my life I do have a hobby which is pool and I enjoy it sometimes, maybe once a week where I can manage to get out for an hour and play a little bit. But I said to myself once I retire from my job ill go to the united states and play in the US Open with a friend of mine, we both have this pact. First we need to see our kids grow and then second we need to retire from our jobs (Myself and my friend), then we will both travel around the globe to finally play in the US Open and after I lose from a pro ill go ahead and shake his hand and even ask him for a signature :).

TheLoneSilencer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To the person who started this asinine thread, are you a liberal by any chance? Sure come across one worrying about how other people choose to spend THEIR money!

beetle

Do I bug you?
Silver Member
I played at the last US Open in Vegas. I'm a 569, so I think I was among the bottom 10 in the field. The whole event was my favorite pool experience! From the player's meeting, to the green room, to being surrounded by spectators and idols, and playing a world champion, this was a bucket list thing that came to fruition for me.

I also did this as a learning experience. I wanted to put myself in a pressure situation in order to perform better when the spotlight wasn't so bright. I drew Albin Ouschan my first match. I could have won the first game when Albin missed, leaving me a 3 ball out. I had nerves, but when the score was 6-0, I was more settled and I did win my first (and only) game with a decent out. He beat me 11-1.

I was not embarrassed, because I knew how few chances I had. I also saw (as we're seeing in this year's tournament) lots of lopsided matches between great players. It happens with this format.

I say that you should put yourselves out there as much as possible. If you can't afford this tournament, then try others where you have a chance to play pros, but maybe the entry fee isn't as high. You won't regret it! I think it was among my best decisions and experiences.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I truly believe that many of these guys are simply trying to get into the money, and they are paying very deep here. For most of them that would be an accomplishment that they can be proud of. I never played in many tournaments because I knew I was a big underdog against the top guns (although I did win a few matches against name players). My goal was just to get into the money and cash. I have been able to do that in many of the tournaments that I played in. If I got my entry fee back that was a success for me. I think a lot of these guys would feel the same way.

Just another C player Jay. :)
And winning a couple of those matches against top players is probably one of your favorite memories.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK, look at the winner side bracket at the U. S. Open. As the cops say "all the usual suspects." Dennis, Shane, Neils, Max, Jason etc. Why would inferior players, who in their hearts must know that they're no match for any of these guys, pay money and sign up to get embarrassed by these people. Even established pros like Mika, Thorsten and Cory know that they're not going to win so why do they bother to play. At the beginning of any tournament there are ten guys that can win maybe 20 at the most if Taiwan and China are fully represented as clearly they are not this year. Back in Pittsburgh I played in every C tournament there was because I always had some chance of winning. I didn't play in tournaments where A players were going to kill me and I knew it. What am I missing here?

Because it's a great experience.

You get to play and observe, up real close, the pros. And frankly, for an amateur at events like this, success is measured differently than just match victories. True, sometimes you beat a US Open winner, a pro, or a road player. Maybe you just take a couple of games off the GOAT, or maybe double-dip a renown instructor. You learn new shots, safeties, about yourself and how to manage your nerves and game. If you're lucky you do it on the streaming table and/or in front of a crowd. Occasionally you get a real nice compliment about your game from a world champion.

Then you get to go back to your home room and, knowing how you stacked up against the best in the world, you don’t worry about playing the locals. I mean, after all, what are they going to do to you after you've played the best in the sport? Of course there are also those moments in the bar after the tournament... but that's another story.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

L.S. Dennis

I'm not meaning to sound like a jerk here, but this explains why you don't understand why people pony up to get killed by the elite. You gave up the game because you struggled to form a 'V' shape with your thumb and remain portion of index finger.

Some people just have less financial stress then quit in them.
I played Nick Varner once at one of his exhibitions a short rack game. I knew I wasn’t going to win but it was worth it just to say to played him. Same thing with the US Open, It’s worth it just to say that you played in it.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If average golfers could play in the Masters they would do it. "I played a round with Mickelson".

Same thing. Pros don't always play at top gear. Might catch a break or two and beat a known player.