Question: Why do People Pay to Sign up to get Slaughtered?

Cuedup

I had a guy on my team that lost both his hands above the wrist in an industrial accident.
The dude loved the game and is a true winner. No quit in him.

dnschmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You apparently live a limited life. When pool went away I took up golf when golf went away I starting rebuilding my Porsche a job that is now complete. If that goes away I'll find another car to restore. I'm quite a good car painter. Got to whip out the SATA X5500 spray guns this weekend and blend in a quarter panel repair on a friends 1955 Bel-Aire this weekend. Here's a fact for you: if you've got money there's always something else to do. Was going to take a river cruise in Germany this year but Covid-19 shot that idea down. I don't even own a Lazy Boy but I do have a 75inch TV. Pool was fun. Golf was fun. My 911 is fun. I don't live in the past I live in the present and the future. When one door closes another opens.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You apparently live a limited life. When pool went away I took up golf when golf went away I starting rebuilding my Porsche a job that is now complete. If that goes away I'll find another car to restore. I'm quite a good car painter. Got to whip out the SATA X5500 spray guns this weekend and blend in a quarter panel repair on a friends 1955 Bel-Aire this weekend. Here's a fact for you: if you've got money there's always something else to do. Was going to take a river cruise in Germany this year but Covid-19 shot that idea down. I don't even own a Lazy Boy but I do have a 75inch TV. Pool was fun. Golf was fun. My 911 is fun. I don't live in the past I live in the present and the future. When one door closes another opens.
I have a limited life? How did you draw that conclusion? Because I like to play pool?

dnschmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well Yapp just took down SVB, So he obviously didn't sign up to get slaughtered, and no one was predicting him to win....
He just came off a very successful tournament in Vegas. So I don't think that NOBODY predicted him to win but many expected him to do very well.

dnschmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a limited life? How did you draw that conclusion? Because I like to play pool?
No, because you seem to care too much about it. There is always something else to do. I liked to play pool too. When that went away (due to a router table accident - which was actually my own stupidity more so than an accident) golf and woodworking took it's place. All I'm telling you is to expand your horizons. After I had built myself and entire house full of furniture it was on to car restoration. If that goes away travelling is always nice. I've never gotten overly attached to anything.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, because you seem to care too much about it. There is always something else to do. I liked to play pool too. When that went away (due to a router table accident - which was actually my own stupidity more so than an accident) golf and woodworking took it's place. All I'm telling you is to expand your horizons. After I had built myself and entire house full of furniture it was on to car restoration. If that goes away travelling is always nice. I've never gotten overly attached to anything.
So you are telling me you have no passion. Just hobbies. Got it. You certainly dont have a passion for pool. If you did, you would find a way to play it.

First I take care of family. After that, I have a passion for 3 things.... I hunt, I fish, and I play pool. The rest just fills the time in between those three things. I dont have wads of cash to shuffle off to Germany. Or restore a Porsche. But my life is full... I assure you.

MOJOE

Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
Silver Member
OK, look at the winner side bracket at the U. S. Open. As the cops say "all the usual suspects." Dennis, Shane, Neils, Max, Jason etc. Why would inferior players, who in their hearts must know that they're no match for any of these guys, pay money and sign up to get embarrassed by these people. Even established pros like Mika, Thorsten and Cory know that they're not going to win so why do they bother to play. At the beginning of any tournament there are ten guys that can win maybe 20 at the most if Taiwan and China are fully represented as clearly they are not this year. Back in Pittsburgh I played in every C tournament there was because I always had some chance of winning. I didn't play in tournaments where A players were going to kill me and I knew it. What am I missing here?
Because it's fun and you may just get to play a champion and win a few games. More power to them! I'd do it if I had the chance when I was still able to play.

Jack Madden

John Madden Cues
Silver Member
OK, look at the winner side bracket at the U. S. Open. As the cops say "all the usual suspects." Dennis, Shane, Neils, Max, Jason etc. Why would inferior players, who in their hearts must know that they're no match for any of these guys, pay money and sign up to get embarrassed by these people. Even established pros like Mika, Thorsten and Cory know that they're not going to win so why do they bother to play. At the beginning of any tournament there are ten guys that can win maybe 20 at the most if Taiwan and China are fully represented as clearly they are not this year. Back in Pittsburgh I played in every C tournament there was because I always had some chance of winning. I didn't play in tournaments where A players were going to kill me and I knew it. What am I missing here?
There is always the hope you can beat them. I learned to play by playing the better players in my world, lost lots but learned a lot from those older guys…they show you something even if they don’t tell you….by watching you learn….and if you are getting beat you watch.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nope, I chopped off the tip of my left index finger and can't make a normal bridge anymore so I don't even play the game. Never figured out the open bridge so I just gave up the game for golf. Played golf every day for quite some time and then my shoulder went to hell. So I had to give up golf too. In golf I was an 11 Handicap at the 500 Club a very nice course here in Phoenix. Could normally shoot around 80-82 and my best score ever at the 500 Club was 76. So I was pretty much a C player at golf as well.
Have you ever bought a lottery ticket? 😉

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
He just came off a very successful tournament in Vegas. So I don't think that NOBODY predicted him to win but many expected him to do very well.
If you feel the way you feel, fantastic. Does everyone else have to feel that way too? It takes all kinds. 😎

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
every tournament ive played in has a group of players who have no chance of winning. They pony up the dough anyway to learn and get better. Thank god they do. If only the people who had a chance entered the payout would be shit lol

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I will agree with you that having a little money gives you freedom to do more things in life. For me it means not having to work at a job like running a poolroom anymore. I have more time to do the things I enjoy, like play or watch good pool, play in a poker tournament or mess with my old cars. I haven't found too many new interests other than traveling a lot more visiting the beautiful state of California, which is like it's own country with so much diversity. I've quit and restarted my pool playing career so many times that even at 77 I feel like I can get back in stroke if I practice hard for two weeks. I guess I'm just a sick puppy! Ask jtompilot on here if I can still play a little. I practiced for two whole days (maybe four hours total) and played him some One Pocket. He's a good player but I gave him a tough time a little while back. Granted it was on my table. :cool:

Last edited:

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I will agree with you that having a little money gives you freedom to do more things in life.
Jay, it gives you more freedom to do more things in life that costs money.

There are many things in life that are enjoyable, entertaining, and satisfying that are easy on the pocketbook. I've been retired for nineteen years, my wife six years. We live off of our social security benefits and my meager pension from General Motors. I own a boat/fish, hunt, target shoot, reload my own ammo, own/ride motorcycles, own/ride ATV's, own a pool table and play pool in leagues, and bowled in leagues at one time. My children and grandchildren have participated and enjoyed doing these things with us. I wouldn't trade my life right now with any millionaire on the planet.

The key to it all: proper money management (but you already know that from what I've read in some of your former postings).

None of the above things I mention broke the bank....big money wasn't/isn't neccessary to do them. My wife and I were nothing but middle-class Americans with blue-collar jobs.

While I agree with your quoted statement above that money can allow you to do more in life.....more does not neccessarily mean better things. It all depends on the individual.

Maniac

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jay, it gives you more freedom to do more things in life that costs money.

There are many things in life that are enjoyable, entertaining, and satisfying that are easy on the pocketbook. I've been retired for nineteen years, my wife six years. We live off of our social security benefits and my meager pension from General Motors. I own a boat/fish, hunt, target shoot, reload my own ammo, own/ride motorcycles, own/ride ATV's, own a pool table and play pool in leagues, and bowled in leagues at one time. My children and grandchildren have participated and enjoyed doing these things with us. I wouldn't trade my life right now with any millionaire on the planet.

The key to it all: proper money management (but you already know that from what I've read in some of your former postings).

None of the above things I mention broke the bank....big money wasn't/isn't neccessary to do them. My wife and I were nothing but middle-class Americans with blue-collar jobs.

While I agree with your quoted statement above that money can allow you to do more in life.....more does not neccessarily mean better things. It all depends on the individual.

Maniac
The best things in life are free! I can't tell you how many times we've gone off the beaten track and found a beautiful little park to relax in, eat our lunch and let our dog explore. So many places with only a small sign (or none) to guide you there. We enjoy driving through neighborhoods in the little towns we go through just to get a glimpse of what life is like for the people that live there. Early this year we discovered Randsburg and Johannesburg off a little used road in the Sierras. Towns full of makeshift homes and aging hippies who want to be far away from what we call civilization. Towns like this have Personality!

One thing I learned long ago in my first poolroom in Bakersfield is that almost everybody has something interesting in their life that they are eager to share if you give them a chance. One guy I remember who was a bit strange had a whole zoo of reptiles in his home and garage. That was so cool to see and have him explain in detail about each one to me. Another older man had a unique garden in his large backyard full of exotic and rare plants. He told me the warm climate was perfect for growing them. Even had a large Venus Fly Trap that he demonstrated with a beetle that was alive, until......

I hear you Maniac. I've always loved riding "bikes," the bigger the better. At my advanced age I've downgraded to a 150 Vespa scooter. I still love scooting around town on it. It will keep up with city traffic no problem with a top speed of 55. Economy, how about 75 miles per gallon! :)

Last edited:

JC

Coos Cues
every tournament ive played in has a group of players who have no chance of winning. They pony up the dough anyway to learn and get better. Thank god they do. If only the people who had a chance entered the payout would be shit lol
Even in pro only tournaments there are a group who have little chance to win. It's just the natural order of competition.

I played in the Reno Barboxes once before they moved it to vegas and had zero chance of winning any event. But I did beat Amar Kang 5 games of 9 ball prior to him reaching 9 and Oscar 3 games of ten ball before he got to 7. Choked an easy 7 ball playing a Canadian pro named Brian Butler which would have put me on the hill with him at 2. One of my buddies who's a logger beat Mika and another who's a pothead went hill hill with Oscar.

All of this was worth the price of admission. If I didn't live in BFE with a business and family I would do this type of thing regularly. Hell if I didn't have a business and family I may even be competitive :LOL:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Even in pro only tournaments there are a group who have little chance to win. It's just the natural order of competition.

I played in the Reno Barboxes once before they moved it to vegas and had zero chance of winning any event. But I did beat Amar Kang 5 games of 9 ball prior to him reaching 9 and Oscar 3 games of ten ball before he got to 7. Choked an easy 7 ball playing a Canadian pro named Brian Butler which would have put me on the hill with him at 2. One of my buddies who's a logger beat Mika and another who's a pothead went hill hill with Oscar.

All of this was worth the price of admission. If I didn't live in BFE with a business and family I would do this type of thing regularly. Hell if I didn't have a business and family I may even be competitive :LOL:
Where exactly is Bum Fuc' Egypt? I've heard a lot about that place but have never been there or maybe I have and didn't know it.