Question: Why do People Pay to Sign up to get Slaughtered?

JustPlay

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To the original poster: The following names (in my opinion) will not win (or again) a US 9-ball Open (It doesn't mean they cannot win, I just don't see it because of the rest of world is just saturated with young talent). These are all professional players and some are former champions of the event. Should these players not play as well? Are they just taking up space on the list? The original post is just not well thought out. I am not criticizing any of these players in any way. It's like saying the Detroit Lions, Cleveland Browns, Jacksonville Jaguars, Chicago Bears, NY Jets, NY Giants and Dallas Cowboys are not going to win a super bowl anytime in the near future, However, they still compete on a professional level.

Allen Hopkins
Jennifer Barretta
Tommy DeAlfonso
Donny Mills
Tony Robles
Kelly Fisher
Corey Deuel
Hunter Lombardo
Brandon Shuff
Shawn Wilikie
Earl Strickland
Alex Pagulayan
Bj Ussery

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
To the original poster: The following names (in my opinion) will not win (or again) a US 9-ball Open (It doesn't mean they cannot win, I just don't see it because of the rest of world is just saturated with young talent). These are all professional players and some are former champions of the event. Should these players not play as well? Are they just taking up space on the list? The original post is just not well thought out. I am not criticizing any of these players in any way. It's like saying the Detroit Lions, Cleveland Browns, Jacksonville Jaguars, Chicago Bears, NY Jets, NY Giants and Dallas Cowboys are not going to win a super bowl anytime in the near future, However, they still compete on a professional level.

Allen Hopkins
Jennifer Barretta
Tommy DeAlfonso
Donny Mills
Tony Robles
Kelly Fisher
Corey Deuel
Hunter Lombardo
Brandon Shuff
Shawn Wilikie
Earl Strickland
Alex Pagulayan
Bj Ussery
Alex does not belong on this list. He's a threat to win anytime he puts his cue together.

L.S. Dennis

Some people can actually afford the hefty entry fee and actually enjoy it "whether they have a chance or not". It's for the love of the game!

In life you have to try! You can't always be negative and think you can't. You're already setting yourself up for failure. It's something I work on myself whenever I get into a match. Believe in myself and ability. I might not always win, but atleast I tried.

I hardly to never play the Super lotto but when it reached 1 Billion dollars about 2 years ago, I had to buy a ticket each time! Why? Because I had a chance just like everybody else! The worst feeling for me would've been not buying a ticket and "wished I would've won"

Good luck to you 👍
Brings to mind the old saying “Better to have played the game and lost than never to have played at all”

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Of the twenty five thousand or so that run the New York City marathon, probably only about 50 have a real shot at winning. The other 24,950 run because they enjoy it and hope to run better than they ever have before. One can enjoy the thrill of participating in competition despite having little to no prospects of winning. Why should it be any different in pool?

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Bob, while I am certainly no threat to any ’pro’ 14.1 player, it occurred that paying the entry fee might at least guarantee me a few games (with the initial‘ round robin’ format) against some top players (?). As a 14.1 enthusiast and supporter, it would seem worth it.

He doesn't view it as "getting slaughtered". He sees it as an opportunity.

eg9327

It is all about enjoying competition. I mostly play local schlub tournaments. Win some, but lose many more. When you win the money is laughable. I really don't do it for the money. I play league pool. That is certainly not for the money. I love competition. I've played in the Derby City Classic for probably 18 years. I once lost to Jose Parica 2-3 in bank pool. I was ecstatic. I've played about a half dozen pros. Chances? Zero? Great competition though. I love to play hide and go seek just to see how they respond. My brother also plays. We once were assigned tables side by side on the main floor, but of us drew pros. We bet who could last the longest. He went 15 minutes. I went about an hour and 20. Guess who got bragging rites.

Billiardscollec

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s a matter off choice some people like to challenge themselves against superior competition in order to improve their game. I think you are judging other people by your standards, if Efren was in the pool hall I would play a money game with him not with any chance of wining but for the experience. It’s only money.
Last Derby City I was at which I think was the last one held, Efren was playing some guy in one pocket in one of TV rooms on the 2nd floor of the venue. I'm thinking its gotta be a big money game. Efren isn't as strong as he used to be in his prime, but he is still very formidable and was dominating his opponent. After the match I found out they were playing for $100 and not just one game but a race to 3 or 4 I think. If I knew that I would have signed up. Most if not all the people looking at this post are gonna learn something playing Efren and I know I would have learned a ton and wouldn't have looked at it as donating.

Billiardscollec

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is all about enjoying competition. I mostly play local schlub tournaments. Win some, but lose many more. When you win the money is laughable. I really don't do it for the money. I play league pool. That is certainly not for the money. I love competition. I've played in the Derby City Classic for probably 18 years. I once lost to Jose Parica 2-3 in bank pool. I was ecstatic. I've played about a half dozen pros. Chances? Zero? Great competition though. I love to play hide and go seek just to see how they respond. My brother also plays. We once were assigned tables side by side on the main floor, but of us drew pros. We bet who could last the longest. He went 15 minutes. I went about an hour and 20. Guess who got bragging rites.
I played in the Derby City 9 Ball one year. I drew Shane Van Boening. What was worse was I had to wait an extra day to play him because he was in matches in other events. I lose to him 7-2 at the time when the race was to 7. $150 for single elimination, plus more vacation time. So now I just join the mini tournament, 64 players, shorter races to 4, same competition because it is open to everyone, so still competitive, so I get the experience at less of a cost.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
OK, look at the winner side bracket at the U. S. Open. As the cops say "all the usual suspects." Dennis, Shane, Neils, Max, Jason etc. Why would inferior players, who in their hearts must know that they're no match for any of these guys, pay money and sign up to get embarrassed by these people. Even established pros like Mika, Thorsten and Cory know that they're not going to win so why do they bother to play. At the beginning of any tournament there are ten guys that can win maybe 20 at the most if Taiwan and China are fully represented as clearly they are not this year. Back in Pittsburgh I played in every C tournament there was because I always had some chance of winning. I didn't play in tournaments where A players were going to kill me and I knew it. What am I missing here?
What you're missing is that some players have way more money than you do, and like being in a high class tournament.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Most of the tournaments I've played in with B and C players who aspire to be better, I've noticed most don't mind playing an A player. I've had players lose, then shake my hand with a smile and say, "I enjoyed playing you". And sometimes they'll ask about a certain shot, why I played it like I did or why I didn't play a different shot.

When I've gotten my ass handed to me by players with fargos between 680 and 750, I show the same respect and treat it as a learning experience or opportunity to test my skills. I have never competed against a top pro player except for those occasional challenge games at the SBE or Vegas tournaments, but I want to play the derby next year.

Last edited:

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most of the tournaments I've played in with B and C players who aspire to be better, I've noticed most don't mind playing an A player. I've had players lose, then shake my hand with a smile and say, "I enjoyed playing you". And sometimes they'll ask about a certain shot, why I played it like I did or why I didn't play a different shot.

When I've gotten my ass handed to me by players with fargos between 680 and 750, I show the same respect and treat it as a learning experience or opportunity to test my skills. I have never competed against a top pro player except for those occasional challenge games at the SBE or Vegas tournaments, but I want to play the derby next year.
Correct. I've been on AZB for quite a while now. Couldn't tell you how many times I've heard.... You have to gamble with better players to become a better player", or something like that. In other words, just hand over your money. Isnt this tournament thing the same? I would rather lose my money this way then just gambling.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Correct. I've been on AZB for quite a while now. Couldn't tell you how many times I've heard.... You have to gamble with better players to become a better player", or something like that. In other words, just hand over your money. Isnt this tournament thing the same? I would rather lose my money this way then just gambling.

Lol... yeah, most of the time it's the better player saying you gotta gamble to get better. A lot of us have been guilty of using that line. But the truth is, table time and WATCHING and PAYING ATTENTION to what better players do will help weaker players get better. For some, they have to have something on the line (something more than pride) in order to pay attention. That "something" could be $20 to $30 races to 5 with no spot/weight given, or it could be a $150 entry fee in a tournament.

I look at it like this: When does the average pool player actually get a chance to play heads up with a top pro at a cost of less than $200? Never, unless they play tournaments where these pros are competing. And I think a $150 is a pretty good deal for a match against SVB or Shaw or Filler or Biado or Gorst or any other great player of today.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
IMHO, tournaments are a whole different grind altogether. Gamble all you want, I don't think it will make you a strong tournament guy.

...but yes, donating for experience in tournaments is way cheaper than gambling.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Lol... yeah, most of the time it's the better player saying you gotta gamble to get better. A lot of us have been guilty of using that line. But the truth is, table time and WATCHING and PAYING ATTENTION to what better players do will help weaker players get better. For some, they have to have something on the line (something more than pride) in order to pay attention. That "something" could be $20 to $30 races to 5 with no spot/weight given, or it could be a $150 entry fee in a tournament.

I look at it like this: When does the average pool player actually get a chance to play heads up with a top pro at a cost of less than $200? Never, unless they play tournaments where these pros are competing. And I think a $150 is a pretty good deal for a match against SVB or Shaw or Filler or Biado or Gorst or any other great player of today.
Well ya, but it depends on what skill you're trying to grow. If becoming accustomed to "big stage" pressure is the goal, then a $20 bet ain't going to do it. I'm one of those guys that needs something on the line to keep me engaged/focused. Otherwise I fall into practice mode and start swinging at low % shots. That said, I have personal targets that I always want to measure myself against. No bet necessary against those players.

I said it in once already. If someone told me that I'd be guarenteed to be dead money on the stream table against Trump in the USopen, then I would have gladly forked over the $750 entry.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well ya, but it depends on what skill you're trying to grow. If becoming accustomed to "big stage" pressure is the goal, then a $20 bet ain't going to do it. I'm one of those guys that needs something on the line to keep me engaged/focused. Otherwise I fall into practice mode and start swinging at low % shots. That said, I have personal targets that I always want to measure myself against. No bet necessary against those players.

I said it in once already. If someone told me that I'd be guarenteed to be dead money on the stream table against Trump in the USopen, then I would have gladly forked over the $750 entry.
Same. I need to gamble with better players to care enough to give it my full focus. I need to learn how to focus better AND care enough to make the right decisions. I like a format that gets used in Phoenix often, Friday night fights for like $500. It's enough to keep me engaged. Anything else just feels like I'm just hitting balls with no direction.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I don't think just playing with better players will make someone better, aside from maybe being able to learn to lose money without getting upset over it. You need to learn from better players to get better.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So if I enter DCC as dead money at $160, do I still get to hang around after elimination and watch the later rounds? If so, that might be cheaper than just buying spectator tickets and going to watch :ROFLMAO: 🤪