Question: Why do People Pay to Sign up to get Slaughtered?

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
BFE is a two hour drive the other side of resume speed.

One town on the scenic route I took had a sense of humor. Their town sign went something like this:

D _____
Est 1906
Pop 768
Elv 2063
Total: 4737

A place with that sense of humor was worth a visit!

Hu

Billiardscollec

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also forgot to mention that I don't like handicaps. I'd rather play a pro straight up in a tournament than get a spot. I usually play better without the spot. Just like Tom Cruise said in The Color of Money: "Grady, Up your a** with the spot". But don't get me wrong, I don't go looking for big money games against stronger players to play even-That is donating unless they are cheap sets. But playing stronger players in the tournament is where I get the experience.

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
I also forgot to mention that I don't like handicaps. I'd rather play a pro straight up in a tournament than get a spot. I usually play better without the spot. Just like Tom Cruise said in The Color of Money: "Grady, Up your a** with the spot". But don't get me wrong, I don't go looking for big money games against stronger players to play even-That is donating unless their cheap sets. But playing stronger players in the tournament is where I get the experience.

While some do, it ain't much to brag about when you beat somebody when you are getting a big spot. Still can't brag with a small spot and then you have given up the psychological advantage for little value. Taking a spot acknowledges the other player is superior.

Several times I have walked into a place and found a nasty mismatch. Somebody I was friends with was playing somebody he didn't know that was much better! The first time there was a fair sized rail watching so I eased up to them trying to figure out how I was going to tip my friend he was in a terrible game! While thinking about it I watched the game and listened to the railbirds. My friend was playing a mile over his head and already had the top player in the hole considerable! Needless to say I kept my mouth shut and watched my friend give out a first class whupping for a couple more hours. The next time we met and I got him alone I told him who he had beaten. He had trouble believing it at first.

Saw this a few more times so I learned to go easy when I saw a "mismatch". Sometimes I got a friend out of a bad match-up when they were taking a beating, pool hall etiquette be damned, sometimes I watched somebody punch way above their weight! To be clear, I bailed out a friend a time or two, not just a casual acquaintance. I didn't lightly wreck somebody's action.

Hu

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK, look at the winner side bracket at the U. S. Open. As the cops say "all the usual suspects." Dennis, Shane, Neils, Max, Jason etc. Why would inferior players, who in their hearts must know that they're no match for any of these guys, pay money and sign up to get embarrassed by these people. Even established pros like Mika, Thorsten and Cory know that they're not going to win so why do they bother to play. At the beginning of any tournament there are ten guys that can win maybe 20 at the most if Taiwan and China are fully represented as clearly they are not this year. Back in Pittsburgh I played in every C tournament there was because I always had some chance of winning. I didn't play in tournaments where A players were going to kill me and I knew it. What am I missing here?
I think Mika and Corey get a free entry because they have won the US Open in the past- don't know if Matchroom kept that stipulation

Prey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To the OP. Every tourny needs there donors or there would be no tournaments.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
It’s free will to play, or avoid like Covid ward. If you feel it is ok to play going in for the experience, do it.

WardS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK, look at the winner side bracket at the U. S. Open. As the cops say "all the usual suspects." Dennis, Shane, Neils, Max, Jason etc. Why would inferior players, who in their hearts must know that they're no match for any of these guys, pay money and sign up to get embarrassed by these people. Even established pros like Mika, Thorsten and Cory know that they're not going to win so why do they bother to play. At the beginning of any tournament there are ten guys that can win maybe 20 at the most if Taiwan and China are fully represented as clearly they are not this year. Back in Pittsburgh I played in every C tournament there was because I always had some chance of winning. I didn't play in tournaments where A players were going to kill me and I knew it. What am I missing here?
It’s a matter off choice some people like to challenge themselves against superior competition in order to improve their game. I think you are judging other people by your standards, if Efren was in the pool hall I would play a money game with him not with any chance of wining but for the experience. It’s only money.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
yes, you may do it once or so but those that do it over and over are nothing but suckers. although they dont look at themselves as such. they are just donating money / part of their net worth to play pool.
and yes without those suckers tournaments of all kinds would be small payouts.

and that is exactly the reason they need to make tournaments structured so everyone has at least some chance of winning .

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
yes, you may do it once or so but those that do it over and over are nothing but suckers. although they dont look at themselves as such. they are just donating money / part of their net worth to play pool.

and that is exactly the reason they need to make tournaments structured so everyone has at least some chance of winning .

Well Sucker is strong word, but it is 110% honest. P. T. Barnum Dias it good, suckers born every minute, and one to take em.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member

Fooling with race horses I rubbed shoulders with quite a few people with wealth and power. One was called a fool for paying almost $900,000 for a gelding in the eighties. That was about two and a half days income for him, or less.

We all spend money on what pleases us. Are you driving the least expensive vehicle you could purchase? Do you own a boat or more than bare bones home? Suckers are those that blindly waste money. Those that spend money knowing exactly what they are doing aren't suckers. Awhile back I entered a tournament simply because there would be another thousand added with a few more entries. I was entertaining a guest and knew I couldn't play pool and focus on being a good host but as a player I considered the return to other players worth putting in the entry.

Hu

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s called paying your dues. Same reason we have C players in here that want to play on our table with 4 inch pockets, which is a brutally tough table even for A players to practice on.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Fooling with race horses I rubbed shoulders with quite a few people with wealth and power. One was called a fool for paying almost $900,000 for a gelding in the eighties. That was about two and a half days income for him, or less.

We all spend money on what pleases us. Are you driving the least expensive vehicle you could purchase? Do you own a boat or more than bare bones home? Suckers are those that blindly waste money. Those that spend money knowing exactly what they are doing aren't suckers. Awhile back I entered a tournament simply because there would be another thousand added with a few more entries. I was entertaining a guest and knew I couldn't play pool and focus on being a good host but as a player I considered the return to other players worth putting in the entry.

Hu

amen.👍

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1. US Open 2019
836. Black-Balled invitational 2007
Screenshot_20210919-135924__01.jpg

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll give the reason that I played in the 2010 US Open. It was a bucket list tournament that I had no realistic chance of winning. But like Jay said earlier, due to the deep payouts I might have a chance to cash. The tournament at that time was 500 entry but to go and watch was going to cost around 200. Playing gave you a pass for the tournament. It's a good experience to play better players. It's something that you can do in our sport that you can't do in any other sport. So I will always have that memory of competing in the Open. I won a match and was somewhat competitive in the 2 matches that I lost. I didn't play any top pro's but lost to a couple of regional type guys. I would have loved to play against a SVB or the like but it wasn't in the cards.