Racism

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The racism has been hidden.......but it's always been there much to my dismay.
I remember the early 60's because I lived it.........Governor Wallace et al.

Over the past 5-6 years, the chatter at the bar in the pool rooms always jabbed at Obama.
Now that Donald is on the scene, actual racist based discussions have become more common.

Racism has been suppressed but it never went away and likely never will but wherever it exists,
whenever it shows its ugly head, racism must always be be stomped & squashed & condemned.

It's important to recognize and admit that things today are reverting back to a time in our nation's
history when bigotry & hatred were more commonplace than understanding, love or forgiveness.

None of us are entitled to ever think less of any others because in God's eyes we are all the same.
When shells & bombs explode around you and bullets are flying, there are never any bigots around.
It's only when there's a ceasefire, peace & normalcy that the prejudices reappear. How friggin' sad.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
I do miss his posts here, Hu is truly a very interesting guy. I have had the fortune of corresponding with him for many years. I have even traveled to Louisiana a few times to hang out with him.

I will say Hu makes a mean dish of Red Beans and Rice.

I think I need to visit with Hu, real soon.

JoeyA

JoeyA

Silver Member
I've heard the term "nigger pool" more than once. Apparenently, safety play makes us crackers mad as hell.

We see crackers at our pool hall every time Jim the Lawyer picks up hogshead cheese from Bourgeois's Meat Market to share at Buffalo's Billiards. http://www.bourgeoismeatmarket.com/about-us/

He always brings the crackers with him. Unfortunately, we still hear the N word on occasion but it is almost always on the jukebox.

The poolroom is definitely the least racist place I have ever been, but it's there if you want to look. Me, I don't bother looking for it. Just too busy trying to live in the moment.
JoeyA

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I think I need to visit with Hu, real soon.

JoeyA

Hu is lucky to have a friend like you Joey. Next chance I get to come down your way we will try and plan a trip and check in on him! Thanks again for the ride last year.

JoeyA

Silver Member
Hu is lucky to have a friend like you Joey. Next chance I get to come down your way we will try and plan a trip and check in on him! Thanks again for the ride last year.

Any time Cuebuddy!

JoeyA

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
when i was in college there was a small old time hole in the wall bar in an old house. It wasn't even in "coon town" as many called it...which was on the north side of the track.

That old town Natchitoches has a pretty long history of slavery and jim crowe....schools weren't mixed till the 80's.

anyways. the little bar was called "Rocks" every last sat of the month they would have the blues band and the crackers would show up.....that night was called "white nite"

myself, forcefollow (m. norwood) and an old surgeron were about the only whites that would show up on a consistent basis, nearly everyday for Doc and I.

lots of people (whites) always looked at me funny that i would go play there everyday (had best tables in town)..........money was always good there. the blacks all played better in general than all the crackers at the bar....and they would have 9 ball events there with old school push out rules.....

loved it.

Place hasn't changed at all....still got pickled pigs feet on the counter lol.

Not once did i ever find any trouble there.....but boy i always found it among the whites at the bar when i robbed the crap out of em.

i remember i was the reason they quit lagging for the break lol.....left it on the rail 5 times one night....that was the end of lagging!

at a later time i went back, the owners son Shannon flipped i called "EDGE"....it hits table...rolls in side pocket, gets caught b/t the leather and stands straight up.......

shannon says "you lucky shit!"

went back few months ago when i was up for the school program and learned that ol Doc had passed.....made me pretty sad :(

i was always comfortable around the brothers, i remember going to town with my cousin when i was young to play and learn basketball from the boys in the hood......made a big difference in my game growing up.....them boys get down lemme tell ya.

i agree that racisim in pool hasn't had much of a place in many many decades and I also agree that this has to do with it being a working mans game. Its a great equalizer of men. Big or small, old or young, black white pink yellow or green anyone can play and can play well if they wish.

-greyghost

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
That WithOut Papers derivation for the insulting term (WOP) is actually just a widely-believed myth. FWIW here's the real root:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wop

Arnaldo

Memories.....I had a few back and forth with Freddy the Beard over that one....
...he was convinced that it stood for WithOutPapers.....
...I told him about Guapo....and the 'GU' takes a 'W' sound in Latin languages.

Finally, an Italian friend Emailed him the goods and he conceded to me.....
....and he said God bless you for calling me handsome....:smile:

God rest Freddy

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
image.jpg

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The ugly truth of racism.

Every one knows racism exists and we can never agree on what it is and even bringing it up causes arguments. I know this much for sure. Racism exists among every race on planet earth. Every color and culture has it and to think it is an exclusive white European problem in America is a lie or being naïve.

I doubt it will ever go away, but wish it would. It ultimately leads to genocide, as history has shown. It promotes lies and hatred and hinders the truth being spoken for fear of being called a racist.

No place on earth has the racist microscope put on it like America does. I hate it.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Every one knows racism exists and we can never agree on what it is and even bringing it up causes arguments. I know this much for sure. Racism exists among every race on planet earth. Every color and culture has it and to think it is an exclusive white European problem in America is a lie or being naïve.
I doubt it will ever go away, but wish it would. It ultimately leads to genocide, as history has shown. It promotes lies and hatred and hinders the truth being spoken for fear of being called a racist.
No place on earth has the racist microscope put on it like America does. I hate it.

We may have to wait until the year.........www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdSqLfuRN18 :smile:

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When guys are trying to extract the other players money out of the wallets,
they might put there opinions on the back burner.

SeabrookMiglla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i dont think pool along with other cue sports have as much elitism as other sports like golf or tennis etc. its a game thats more financially accessible to more people.

pool does have a certain respect for player's that transcend color. i think thats because physicality is not as pronounced as other games. so the reason you lost isnt because they can jump higher than you, are faster or stronger than you are. if you lost, you got out played, or got bad rolls, or werent used to the felt, or all of the other finicky things that happened in this game that every other pool player knows about and hates equally as much. i think anyone who has taken this game up knows what it can do to you mentally, and that is something that transcends ethnicity.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
i dont think pool along with other cue sports have as much elitism as other sports like golf or tennis etc. its a game thats more financially accessible to more people.

pool does have a certain respect for player's that transcend color. i think thats because physicality is not as pronounced as other games. so the reason you lost isnt because they can jump higher than you, are faster or stronger than you are. if you lost, you got out played, or got bad rolls, or werent used to the felt, or all of the other finicky things that happened in this game that every other pool player knows about and hates equally as much. i think anyone who has taken this game up knows what it can do to you mentally, and that is something that transcends ethnicity.

why its referred to as a working mans game.....physicality isn't pronounced at all in this game by any means imop. theres no real reason a woman for example cant beat a man except for mental issues at a table.....thats pretty undebatable.

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Much ado about nothing...

Some very good observations there, Seabrook! There always has always been a way, for some people to hide behind their own insecurities and frustrations!..Some will use racism, some use intimidation and some use anything that they think will work in their favor, as an excuse for losing!..Being a plain old 'gringo', I never had to face much race baiting, but I do know calling me
a "lucky pr*ck" was always music to my ears. :thumbup:

The people who excel at pool, (or any other game for that matter) do not allow themselves to be sidetracked by such mundane things as racism..If they did, there would have been NO Mosconi, Efren Reyes or Alex Pagulayan..Do you think SVB, or Rodney Morris cares what they are called, while they are taking some idiots money? (assuming its for serious $$$ ;)

In almost all the places I've ever been, a huge percentage of the pool room population will come to their defense, if a sucker is foolish enough to make ethnic slurs, (ie,play the race card) while he is going off!..Always been that way, and always should be! :cool:

PS..That isn't to say, if the offender resorts to racial slurs, that he may not deserve a good right to the jaw, after he's blown all his cash!..;)

Last edited: