Racking Nonsense

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
Slug Doctor.

Boom. Done. Had it on my home table for several months. Perfect rack every time. Virtually 1/2 the thickness of a traditional "spot". NEVER seen it cause a roll-off and I've got down at eye level and TRIED to make it do so.

I can rack 9-ball in less than 10 seconds. Eight ball in less than 20.

I wouldn't use anything else.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
I seem to recall a discussion on here not long ago where someone posted that the wing ball is more wired with the MR than when and if the balls can be racked properly with a triangle. Apparently it has something to do with the wing ball skidding just so on the template before it releases, sending it right into the corner pocket. I know on my table, which is not hard to get a good rack with a triangle, the wing ball definitely goes more often with the MR.

I don't know if any studies or slo-mo have been done of this comparing the reaction of the balls with the MR and traditional triangle, but if it's true that it affects the way the balls react then it's a problem. Besides affecting the balls because they skid on the template, perhaps there also could be an effect because the balls are leaning with some force against each other rather than simply be frozen together.

Does anyone know if this has been scientifically studied at all?

nb92

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Magic Rack is....

Chopdoc-

There are a LOT of threads and data on the Magic Ball Rack.

Please check around and you will see that they are in use in many pro and amateur events. And most people really like them.

Tell you what, I will send you a free set so you can test them out.
I think you will find them amazing and familiarity will eliminate most of your concerns.

I realize the concept appears 'odd' but just use one for awhile.

Hope you take me up on my offer.

Mark Griffin
702-719-7665 work
Markg@playcsipool.com

{ insert negative comment } .. if I PM you, can I get a free set also :D

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These racking gadgets under discussion have the object balls sitting in a little divot. Some gadgets create little divots in the cloth and others have little divots on top of the cloth in the form of a hole in plastic. The balls don't act right. They don't break right. They don't even sound right.

Frozen balls sitting in divots do not break the same as frozen balls sitting on top of cloth. No where does it say you are entitled to a perfect frozen rack of balls, especially at the cost of unnaturally doctoring the rack.

These gadgets are unnatural, tedious, time consuming, and invite pattern racking. There are unintended consequences with their use...too many to mention here.

schmizz

Mr. Nice Guy
Silver Member
I bought a Magic Rack @ SBE and just remembered to take it with me for the first time last night. I spent 10 minutes trying to set up an 8 ball rack and gave up. 10 seconds later had a perfect rack using a cheap plastic rack. It also blew me away when I was reading the instructions that it only lasts for 4-6 months. Don't think I'll be buying one again, can't use the one I have now. :(

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Baloney...

I was skeptical of it too until we used it at the Texas Open last year. AS for the time consuming? the year before wi finished at almost 8 am turesday mring with 128 players. This past year with 128 players we finished at 2 AM.
Thee was one nine ball madeo n the break all weekend long and very sittle snieling over i t's use or being left on the table.
As I mentioned, I was very septical and by nature pretty chage resistant. I was sold on it and quickly. It's the first time in 5 years that I didn't have to go and rack an entire match on the straemed table.
one player had 5-9 wired in the rak and threw a fit saying it was going to fly off the table. It flew alright, directly into the corner pocket.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
The wing ball also goes with the slug doctor, and the sardo racks. It goes with the wooden racks also if you can actually get them all froze. Tiny gaps make all the difference. If you put a TINY gap between the 9 and the ball behind it, the 9 is pretty much wired to the corner if you know where to break from.

All I can tell you is my experience. Yes the wing ball goes sometimes when properly racked with a triangle, but not as consistently or often as with the MR. I simply asked if anyone has actually done scientific research on any affect that may be going on with template racks. A couple of theories have been suggested that there is an effect from skidding or leaning forces. But why assume that there are no affects? Why assume that just because all the balls are touching with a MR that nothing else is going on that is influencing things. It seems plausible to me that there is some skidding on the template occurring as well as some possible influence from the balls leaning into each other (rather than just touching) is all I'm saying.

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But why assume that there are no affects? Why assume that just because all the balls are touching with a MR that nothing else is going on that is influencing things. It seems plausible to me that there is some skidding on the template occurring as well as some possible influence from the balls leaning into each other (rather than just touching) is all I'm saying.

It's about time someone began to ask some questions here. The answers may lead to more questions. This is legitimate.

Slasher

KE = 0.5 • m • v2
Silver Member
Once I forgot to remove it from under the nine and got a massive skid,missed the pocket by three inches lol

David_Smith

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
[Edit] I was drunk last night when I made this post and I apologize for my iinsults... but we did consider these other two options when designing the Rack-M-Rite Racking Template and onsidered them unsuitable for professional play and our template has been used in more pro tournaments than any other device by far. However these other products are from what I hear well designed and work as designed so again I apologize for my drunken insult.] The MAGIC Rack and Slug Doctor are cheap amatuer imitations of the Rack-M-Right Racking Template, the world's first and most tournamnt tested perfect rack device.

Last edited:

schmizz

Mr. Nice Guy
Silver Member
The MAGIC Rack and Slug Doctor are cheap amatuer imitations of the Rack-M-Right Racking Template, the world's first and most tournamnt tested perfect rack device.

This device looks like it would work better to me , but in the thread I was checking it out in, this question was asked and never answered and it's the same concern I would have.

"First time I have heard of this rack system.... Is it wise to be putting divots on the table? Even if you tap it lightly, after hundreds of racks in the same spot wouldn't a divot be created? Excuse my ignorance...."

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
If both players agree and then tourney director dont mind then how is it a problem?

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
I bought a Magic Rack @ SBE and just remembered to take it with me for the first time last night. I spent 10 minutes trying to set up an 8 ball rack and gave up. 10 seconds later had a perfect rack using a cheap plastic rack. It also blew me away when I was reading the instructions that it only lasts for 4-6 months. Don't think I'll be buying one again, can't use the one I have now. :(

You must be doing something wrong then. It takes me a total of 10 seconds max to get a ideal rack with the magic rack.

Ive also had mine for about a year and a half now with no problems.

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
Slug Doctor.

Boom. Done. Had it on my home table for several months. Perfect rack every time. Virtually 1/2 the thickness of a traditional "spot". NEVER seen it cause a roll-off and I've got down at eye level and TRIED to make it do so.

I can rack 9-ball in less than 10 seconds. Eight ball in less than 20.

I wouldn't use anything else.

I cant express this anymore on here. Apparently nobody has anything to say about the SD. I guess its because they have never used one. Jay Herfelt loves his... You love yours and god knows I love play with it at my home room.

I started a thread a long time about about this product and people found crap to say about it. You are right though.. The rings dont interfere with the balls or how they roll. Yes it does have to be replaced but not for a long time. We had consist play for about 4 to 5 months before a ring came off and we had to replace it. Im lucky enough to have the owner of this particular table recover his table every 6 months. :thumbup:

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
I'm sure the SD is great. The only problem I see is that you have to leave it on the table. Around here, they won't even let you put a pencil line to make sure the balls get spotted or racked straight, but they have no problem with you working on your car in the parking lot then coming in and getting grease all over the table.:rolleyes::rolleyes: So, since I have to remove the rack anyways, the magic rack is the best for me.

Well then the place you play at needs to get over it. Im not trying to be a jerk but come on really?? A template that you can barely see and everybody gets to use it. That and nobody can steal it for themselves. I understand were some owners come from but come on... DO they play pool at all or just liek to make money on booze and bangers???

Perfect rack everytime??? Why would anybody be apposed to that? Seems extremely silly.