Racking Nonsense

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
I am watching the Action Tour on Live Stream. Everyone was racking with the Magic Rack (10 Ball). Now in the semi's to see who will play Shuff in the finals Brett Stottlemyer is using a traditional rack and Paul Helms is using the Magic Rack when he breaks...What is this nonsense!!! Players preference of racks in a rack your own alternate break tournament just cause Brett doesn't like the Magic Rack!!!

Wedge

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
The Finals

Brandon is using the Magic Rack and Brett is using a traditional wooden rack. Never saw this before in a Pro Tour Tournament!!!

Wedge

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Racking nonsense

Wedge,

The Action Tour is a great series of events - but I still would not call it a pro event.

I hope Brett stottlemyer gets a chance to practice using the Magic Ball Rack. All it does is give a very tight rack - which is the best that any rack can do!

I know several events use the Magic Ball Rack while still giving players the option of using traditional triangles. Not big deal if it is rack your own, but as time goes by and players are exposed to the MBR, this will become less common.

I do agree with Wedge that it is a little goofy.

Mark Griffin

I am watching the Action Tour on Live Stream. Everyone was racking with the Magic Rack (10 Ball). Now in the semi's to see who will play Shuff in the finals Brett Stottlemyer is using a traditional rack and Paul Helms is using the Magic Rack when he breaks...What is this nonsense!!! Players preference of racks in a rack your own alternate break tournament just cause Brett doesn't like the Magic Rack!!!

Wedge

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't tell you how much reading I had to do before I figured out what the heck this Magic Rack thing was, and I only figured it out last week.

Finally I saw a video and I understood this "device". As far as I am concerned it is crooked pool.

Let me explain..... You can't leave anything on the table in the world I played pool in. Maybe the color of the sky has changed...maybe pigs fly...but I'll be darned if I am going to play pool with something other than the balls on the table. That includes if it's only for the break shot.

Figure out a way to get the thing off the table for the break shot and I would be cool with it. But for that it would really need to be magic.

Now this? I can't believe this is going on at that level of the game!

Poolhalljunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Magic rack

Until you have used it don't knock it! Once the balls are broken it's like 1 in 10 or more racks you can't remove it from table before first shot afte the break.

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
My Opinion on the Magic Rack

I can't tell you how much reading I had to do before I figured out what the heck this Magic Rack thing was, and I only figured it out last week.

Finally I saw a video and I understood this "device". As far as I am concerned it is crooked pool.

Let me explain..... You can't leave anything on the table in the world I played pool in. Maybe the color of the sky has changed...maybe pigs fly...but I'll be darned if I am going to play pool with something other than the balls on the table. That includes if it's only for the break shot.

Figure out a way to get the thing off the table for the break shot and I would be cool with it. But for that it would really need to be magic.

Now this? I can't believe this is going on at that level of the game!

It saves a tremendous amount of tournament time due to constantly reracking. WIth the Magic Rack you get a perfect rack every time. The Magic Rack is great. Who wants to watch someone spend minutes trying to rack with a traditional rack!

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Racking monsense

Chopdoc-

There are a LOT of threads and data on the Magic Ball Rack.

Please check around and you will see that they are in use in many pro and amateur events. And most people really like them.

Tell you what, I will send you a free set so you can test them out.
I think you will find them amazing and familiarity will eliminate most of your concerns.

I realize the concept appears 'odd' but just use one for awhile.

Hope you take me up on my offer.

Mark Griffin
702-719-7665 work
Markg@playcsipool.com

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, I get it.

I am sure all of this wash hashed out a long while ago.

I was just shocked when I finally figured out what it was and that something was actually left on the table for the break.

I know people like it. I know it is efficient.

It's just going to take some time for me to get my head around the fact that the darn thing is left on the table for the break....to me that's a foul.

But....I am way behind the times, obvioulsy.

What's getting me is that I just only recently figured it out and there is this issue at the pro level? I mean...what the heck?

You can imagine, if you understand my shock at the mere fact that there is something on the table, how it looks to me for this inconsistency to arise at the pro level. To me it stands out as a really seriously crooked thing.

I mean, use it or don't....pick one.

david(tx)

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wedge,

The Action Tour is a great series of events - but I still would not call it a pro event.

I hope Brett stottlemyer gets a chance to practice using the Magic Ball Rack. All it does is give a very tight rack - which is the best that any rack can do!

I know several events use the Magic Ball Rack while still giving players the option of using traditional triangles. Not big deal if it is rack your own, but as time goes by and players are exposed to the MBR, this will become less common.

I do agree with Wedge that it is a little goofy.

Mark Griffin

Didn't the U.S. Bar Table Open give players the option on racks a couple years ago , when Earl Strickland won the 8 ball event ?

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chopdoc-

Please check around and you will see that they are in use in many pro and amateur events. And most people really like them.

I think you will find them amazing and familiarity will eliminate most of your concerns.

Mark Griffin
702-719-7665 work
Markg@playcsipool.com

That's very gracious.

I sent you a PM.

:smile:

david(tx)

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It saves a tremendous amount of tournament time due to constantly reracking. WIth the Magic Rack you get a perfect rack every time. The Magic Rack is great. Who wants to watch someone spend minutes trying to rack with a traditional rack!

Their haggling over the Magic Rack in some tournaments , the recent JOB event in Nashville was one. The guy with pool room in Erie , Pa. may have the best solution.

tattoosbyjay

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chopdoc-

Mark Griffin
702-719-7665 work
Markg@playcsipool.com

i have never used it either just learned about it where i play the tables are so bad its very hard to get a good rack id be open to trying them out how much are they and how long do they last id like to see the place where i play start usung them

Slasher

KE = 0.5 • m • v2
Silver Member
Personally think with the magic rack you need the 3 point rule and the break box otherwise you can have cut break hell :grin-devilish:

blah blah

Shoebat
list o' gripes

I'm tired of people thinking if you don't like it, it's because you haven't tried it. I had to use it in an event last month or so- three long, full, ten hour days of Magic Rack. Both 9ball on 9footers and 8ball on 8footers, plus the nightly minis.

I learned I hate the Magic Rack.

Especially in 8ball, and especially on a little table- there are way too many balls on that small table, which significantly raises the likelihood of balls sitting on the rack after the break to between at least one- half or one- third of the time.

Tourney directors and refs only get called a very small part of the time this happens- often the players are too tired of stopping everything to wait, find, and call a ref, so they agree to try to move the rack and balls themselves.

(You can still make some very tiny spaces between the balls on a magic rack, too- I was very surprised about that. Maybe the balls were different sizes? Maybe the plastic pulled or scrunched up a bit underneath?)

And often you finish racking and little corners of the plastic are sticking up behind the bottom corner ball/s- surely that has to affect the path of balls, if nap direction can.

Plus it didn't save much time- you figure out which side to lay down, then you load the balls (take plenty of time to get your pattern in place- either 8b OR 9b), and you're delicately and carrrrrefulllly trying to arrange and massage the balls into each other so they stick. Make it an amateur event with lots of stressed, shaky, sweaty hands and now racking and waiting is a real freaking joy. Add the time for the whole "what to do now that the balls are sitting on the rack" dilemma and your match just got way longer.

Actually, I profited from the rack in an early game where we agreed to just leave the rack and tried to play through. They shot a 4 ball med-softly, it skidded and curved mid- plastic, and barely missed the corner pocket- and then I got out. Yay, me.

Once I tried to use a wood rack on top of the magic one just to load them faster. It felt stupid and didn't save much time. Plus I was worried my opponent would call me out on that because it was a Magic Rack Required event. I would have argued I was using the wood to help the plastic, but I still don't know what they'd say about that.

I understand the company is very generous, etc., and I appreciate how inexpensive they are, etc, and yes, I try to support pool and all its promoters, etc.,- but it's a free country and we all get to voice our opinions here, and: I genuinely, honestly, from a place of experience, hate the magic rack.

Last edited:

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
You guys think you're old fashioned. I still can't understand why the championship game no longer requires all 15 balls to be racked, and you have to play safe off the break.

Anyway, I was thinking about this magic rack stencil thing. I think I've come up with a few ways to solve the problem.

1. Design a magic rack that lays on top of the balls. Incorporate 10 little springs that are set like mouse traps.

After you break the balls, the springs go off, sending the frigging rack 10 feet into the air. All you have to do is catch it.

2. Hang a chug-a-lug cage over the table with a trap door on it. Put the balls in it, (including the CB), lag for break and the winner gets to pull the string releasing the damned balls all over the table.

Either way, no obstructions on the table. :smile: