Rails nuts and torque wrench based on advise from main forums

smoochie

NotLikeThis
Hi; I bought a torque wrench to tightening the rails bolts to make sure it’s within the specification. I’m going to try and tightening it for 19Nm and it’s a torque wrench.

this is what I bought.

2AE5AC2B-4A04-4A4F-BD60-28849A86FA7D.jpeg

A torque wrench
An extension
A socket to fit the nuts
And an opener to release the nuts

problem is when I tried the socket they didn’t fit the screw nuts I made a mistake with the size
5AC36DD1-BC20-41C4-ADE8-F76EF5C19B36.jpeg

So the 16mm is large for they Nut so tomorrow I’m going to replace it from the store. Anyone can tell me in metric exactly which number I need? Is it 15mm or 14mm or lower?
For reference here’s a pic of the nut

4BFD384F-9105-4DB8-973A-DC2E91D2207B.jpeg

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
Also, since the torque on rail bolts is relatively low, I've found it's best to find a wrench designed for low torque ranges. I think you get a much better "click" at the top end of the range than at the bottom end. My experience has been with pretty cheap wrenches though, so results may vary.
The one I have now is 40-200 inch-lbs, which is ~3-16 foot-lbs, and it works great.

smoochie

NotLikeThis
Also, since the torque on rail bolts is relatively low, I've found it's best to find a wrench designed for low torque ranges. I think you get a much better "click" at the top end of the range than at the bottom end. My experience has been with pretty cheap wrenches though, so results may vary.
The one I have now is 40-200 inch-lbs, which is ~3-16 foot-lbs, and it works great.
I’ve put mine on metric to 19Nm is that good or should I go lower? I want the best

smoochie

NotLikeThis
Nvm I actually bought the whole set because the 15mm doesn’t come as singular in this store I had to buy the whole set

this cost me more than I thought it would. I hope they fixes my dead rails

smoochie

NotLikeThis
Turn those washers over, the dome of the washers need to be on the bottom side.
Yes I will do that, the mechanic who installed the table apparently didn't know what he was working with, he claims to be working on pool tables for 20 yrs, too bad he didn't know this simple thing.

Anyway ill update on my dead rails here or maybe in the main forums where we discussed it in detail.....I hope this method works to fix them, if not I may go to the "Buy new rails" route.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member

I was gonna say, "what specs??" Since when are there specs for table work?

The guys who did my table said they tightened the bolts as tight as they could. I tried to reason with them about slate's natural movements and swelling, etc, but they not only did that, they first put in longer lag screws! You can see one of them jutting out of the outside of the body of the table. Real professional. All the joints have been compromised now from being too tightly screwed down.

Isn't slate like wood and needs to be fastened together so its basic nature doesn't destroy the table job?

Jeff Livingston

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I was gonna say, "what specs??" Since when are there specs for table work?

The guys who did my table said they tightened the bolts as tight as they could. I tried to reason with them about slate's natural movements and swelling, etc, but they not only did that, they first put in longer lag screws! You can see one of them jutting out of the outside of the body of the table. Real professional. All the joints have been compromised now from being too tightly screwed down.

Isn't slate like wood and needs to be fastened together so its basic nature doesn't destroy the table job?

Jeff Livingston
Yes, people working on pool tables only work one of two ways, right or wrong, there's no middle ground!

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Someone PLEASE write a damn book on how to really maintain tables!

And some industry group start a damn table maintenance spec and certification of techs system!

Thank you,

jeff Livingston

realkingcobra

Silver Member
T
Someone PLEASE write a damn book on how to really maintain tables!

And some industry group start a damn table maintenance spec and certification of techs system!

Thank you,

jeff Livingston
Those who want to learn, are a far cry from those who don't care to learn, because they don't even care enough to learn by example from others!!

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
T
Those who want to learn, are a far cry from those who don't care to learn, because they don't even care enough to learn by example from others!!

That's why a certification and books and other normal controls are needed badly.

Customers are getting royally screwed.

Jeff Livingston

realkingcobra

Silver Member
That's why a certification and books and other normal controls are needed badly.

Customers are getting royally screwed.

Jeff Livingston
Tried that route already, the ABIA. All the mechanics wanted to do was join so they could get referrals for jobs.