Rankings of Custom Cue Makers

ActionDan22

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is your rankings of custom cue makers? Lets say top ten-fifteen in order. Just trying to get an idea of what everyone thinks. I know some of the obvious ones but after my top 3 I have no clue...

AD

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
I think one may need to specify current or all time.

Current Top Active Cuemakers for me are:

Mike Bender
Tony @ Blackboar
Ernie @ GinaCue
Richard Black
Dennis Searing
Jim Buss
Barry Szamboti
The good folks at SouthWest
Gilbert
Richard Chudy
Bob Manzino
Jerry -R-
Dennis Dieckman

There are so many talented Cuemakers it is difficult to comprise a narrow list.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
1. Thomas Wayne
2. Thomas Wayne
3. Thomas Wayne
4. Thomas Wayne
5. Thomas Wayne
6. Thomas Wayne
7. Thomas Wayne
8. Thomas Wayne
9. Thomas Wayne
10. Thomas Wayne
11. Thomas Wayne
12. Thomas Wayne
13. Thomas Wayne
14. Thomas Wayne
15. Thomas Wayne

16-100. Thomas Wayne

101 - 102 - Thomas Wayne's only cue making friends in the cue business.
103 - no one else.

List compiled based on Thomas Wayne's aggregated postings these past 16 years or so. :)

DavidMNienow

Glamour Dave
Silver Member
For myself my personal top 15 active cuemakers are the following:

Ernie@Ginacue
Richard Black
Joel Hercek
Paul Drexler
Barry Szamboti
Tad
Jerry McWorter
Bill Schick
Pete Tascarella
Richard Chudy
Judd Fuller
Thomas Wayne
Richard Phillipi
Chris Nitti
Ed Prewitt

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is your rankings of custom cue makers? Lets say top ten-fifteen in order. Just trying to get an idea of what everyone thinks. I know some of the obvious ones but after my top 3 I have no clue...

AD

i've got my own opinions of a lot of cue makers but i would never rank them and then post it online. some of these guys feed their families making cues

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think before you ask people to rate the top cue makers, you might wish to specify what parameters you wish them to judge by. Otherwise, it doesn't make much sense. For example, is cost/value something to be considered? Is precision craftmanship <. > or = design creativity? Where does "playability" rank in your rating system? Does the 10 year or more wait list for Southwest make them rate higher or lower in your system?

How many people here have owned or still own a Ginacue, Black Boar, Tascarella, Szamboti, Southwest, Searing, Haley or Schick? I think a reasonably strong argument could be made for those to all be top 10 but unless someone has owned and played with those and the remaining top 10, how can they offer a reasonable judgment on rating them? By reading other people's opinions here?

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think before you ask people to rate the top cue makers, you might wish to specify what parameters you wish them to judge by. Otherwise, it doesn't make much sense.

It's not supposed to make sense. It's an opinion request.The moment someone thinks the "best cuemaker " list is supposed to make sense, chaos follows.

Schwinn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think before you ask people to rate the top cue makers, you might wish to specify what parameters you wish them to judge by. Otherwise, it doesn't make much sense. For example, is cost/value something to be considered? Is precision craftmanship <. > or = design creativity? Where does "playability" rank in your rating system? Does the 10 year or more wait list for Southwest make them rate higher or lower in your system?

How many people here have owned or still own a Ginacue, Black Boar, Tascarella, Szamboti, Southwest, Searing, Haley or Schick? I think a reasonably strong argument could be made for those to all be top 10 but unless someone has owned and played with those and the remaining top 10, how can they offer a reasonable judgment on rating them? By reading other people's opinions here?

Agreed and you have to at least specify price range. The best cuemaker sub 1k, 2k, best cue maker above 3k. Price range is the first factor someone is going to consider when ordering a custom cue.

I am contemplating my first custom order and would never order a Gina or Black Boar strictly based on price, though those are on my dream list, I would never pay that much for a cue.

Ed

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
i've got my own opinions of a lot of cue makers but i would never rank them and then post it online. some of these guys feed their families making cues

You know, I have to agree with this. It's just to damn subjective to categorize cue makers when so many are turning out first rate stuff. Better to comment on them individually.

Last edited:

TomHay

Best Tips For Less
Gold Member
Silver Member
My choice is

Ashes Searing

This is only because I have seen every step done in the making of his cues. If I saw any of the others from start to finish they're names could be equal or above.

I see cues by both newbies and seasoned on here I drool over, many I feel under price themselves.

pet.jpg

golubushka

Silver Member
I collect mainly "vinatge" cues...as far as current makers from the *collector* point of view...everyone knows what's hot in the last 5 years, (and which makers are backed up on orders for years etc.)...but which cues will hold their value 5 or 10 years from now, well maybe that's another matter...(e.g. I have a few Tascarella cues that I have collected along with my vintage cues)...

Gee what did a Gus go for in the 80's...(was it a few hundred $$$???)...and then we all know what they go for today...was does a Barry go for today, and what will it be worth down the line (heck if I know) etc....

As far as cues from the *player* point of view, well then I'm not the guy to comment at all on that...

Well maybe this was a little different perspective on this subject anyway....

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No

Is Ernie in your list different than Ginacue?

No it is Ernie G. ( did not want to look up spelling his last name ) who makes Gina cues.I have owned all of these makers with the exception of Searing but have played with them all.The cues all played very good, and all listed here paid attention to every little detail.They all hold or go up in value in their prices, and honestly I can not think of any negative in owning anyone of the cues listed here.All that being said it may not be fair to say this because there are cue makers who make excellent cues but I can not judge them without owning or ever having played with them.Out of all the different cues I have owned and played with this would be my top 5 list.

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
My choice is

Ashes Searing

This is only because I have seen every step done in the making of his cues. If I saw any of the others from start to finish they're names could be equal or above.

I see cues by both newbies and seasoned on here I drool over, many I feel under price themselves.

View attachment 281322

What are those shipping boxes in your picture???? Dennis was shipping something out? What ?

Kevin

LuckyStroke

Full Splic Addict
Silver Member
1. Thomas Wayne
2. Thomas Wayne
3. Thomas Wayne
4. Thomas Wayne
5. Thomas Wayne
6. Thomas Wayne
7. Thomas Wayne
8. Thomas Wayne
9. Thomas Wayne
10. Thomas Wayne
11. Thomas Wayne
12. Thomas Wayne
13. Thomas Wayne
14. Thomas Wayne
15. Thomas Wayne

16-100. Thomas Wayne

101 - 102 - Thomas Wayne's only cue making friends in the cue business.
103 - no one else.

List compiled based on Thomas Wayne's aggregated postings these past 16 years or so. :)

So what you're saying is . . . .

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
No it is Ernie G. ( did not want to look up spelling his last name ) who makes Gina cues.I have owned all of these makers with the exception of Searing but have played with them all.The cues all played very good, and all listed here paid attention to every little detail.They all hold or go up in value in their prices, and honestly I can not think of any negative in owning anyone of the cues listed here.All that being said it may not be fair to say this because there are cue makers who make excellent cues but I can not judge them without owning or ever having played with them.Out of all the different cues I have owned and played with this would be my top 5 list.

Gutierrez. His real name is Caesar, which you can see in his Logo and signature. Why he goes by Ernie I'll never know.

Kevin