Rasson table for World Championships........................

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went back to the expo today and at night I looked this table over. I bumped into it hard. Solid as a rock. I climbed under it. It had steel box beams in place of wood timber. They looked by eye to be approximately 5” x 2.5”. I’d say they looked plenty strong to me.

The next table over was the ox. I climbed under that and it had extruded aluminum as the beams. They seemed a bit larger in cross section.

Both tables by eye looking at their frames looked good enough.

This was just spending about 45 seconds under each table. Not a thorough analysis by any means.

I did not get to hit balls on it.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I find the Mr sung looks like fake wood on screen. Maybe it's better in person.

looks like white stained hardwood veneer, which always looks really bad in my eyes. maybe it's an asian wood that looks like that unstained, idk. either way it doesn't jam well with the metal castings or the grey cloth.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Look at this event as an example, Huong, He, and Yapp are professional players but are out of place in this field.
The best players should be playing in the World Pool Masters, not most of the best players with several “also rans” in the unseeded side so she can make it a “more diversified field” so the promoter can sell pool globally.

he and yapp made it straight off the moneyboard rankings, they are #8 and #9, with 98k and 90k respectively. it looks to me that 14 of the 16 are off the rankings. so you're really arguing against meritocracy.

aranas and hoang are the only wildcards. and they can play. hoang beat svb in two subsequent world championships (9-ball, 10-ball) last year. aranas won the world cup together with chua.

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
he and yapp made it straight off the moneyboard rankings, they are #8 and #9, with 98k and 90k respectively. it looks to me that 14 of the 16 are off the rankings. so you're really arguing against meritocracy.

aranas and hoang are the only wildcards. and they can play. hoang beat svb in two subsequent world championships (9-ball, 10-ball) last year. aranas won the world cup together with chua.
I standby my post. These 3 have a better chance of throwing a snowball and hitting the sun than they do of winning this event

TrxR

I sure wish Brunswick would get back in the Pro Pool game.
They would have to lower their prices and up their fit and finish before I would look at a new one. Also offer more pocket options. I know people love them and I got nothing against them and would probably buy an older one and have the rails and pockets modified if i could find one within a couple of hours at a decent price.

What I find funny though is that someone says that Diamond needs to update their looks as they haven't changed since they came out but they love the GC and those haven't really changed since the 50s. It think it's more nostalgia . But looks are personal preference.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They would have to lower their prices and up their fit and finish before I would look at a new one. Also offer more pocket options. I know people love them and I got nothing against them and would probably buy an older one and have the rails and pockets modified if i could find one within a couple of hours at a decent price.

What I find funny though is that someone says that Diamond needs to update their looks as they haven't changed since they came out but they love the GC and those haven't really changed since the 50s. It think it's more nostalgia . But looks are personal preference.
The Diamonds Pro/AM were ugly from day 1. The GC's were always pretty.

Even with that in mind, the GC did update their looks every 10 or so years. 1 thru 3 were only paint color and plating color changes. 4 had new castings. 5 and 6 were much bigger changes. The Diamond Pro/AM tables have only changed their color options after the dynawood factory burned down. Nothing else, and I think they were introduced in about the year 2000.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now I know your full of it
Who hurt you on a diamond table, tell us
This is a safe space
Although I think the Diamond is not that aesthetically pleasing, my only real issue with them is the bounce of the rails, as I've been writing on here for 20 years. I feel Diamond as a company has let down the pool players. They should have never let those rails out of the factory. Diamond was started by "players". I can't understand how any player would have liked those rails. I feel they have a resposinisblity to put out proper rails, and all the cries for decades have fallen on deaf ears.

That's my issue with Diamond.

I played at the Expo this week, and the new diamond bar boxes there were pin ball machines. Then I went to the predator booth and tried their 7' table. It played much slower off the cushions, just like a Gold Crown and about every other table ever made. I then played on the Predator 9', and it too played slower.

This pinball rail cushion is almost exclusively a Diamond "feature" or "defect" if you ask me.

I hate it. I hate that Diamond has not addressed it.

If Diamond had a proper cushion, I'd have a Diamond in my home, even if I thought it was ugly.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The 60's. The Gold Crown I came out in 1961. The difference between the Gold Crown and Diamond is the Gold Crown's mid century design is timeless with a focus on aesthetics and playability. Diamond never put much into the design aesthetics as the table (ProAm) was primarily designed with the intent to quickly move and setup. If you want something from Diamond with some aesthetics, you have to look at the Professional or the Paragon.

TrxR

Although I think the Diamond is not that aesthetically pleasing, my only real issue with them is the bounce of the rails, as I've been writing on here for 20 years. I feel Diamond as a company has let down the pool players. They should have never let those rails out of the factory. Diamond was started by "players". I can't understand how any player would have liked those rails. I feel they have a resposinisblity to put out proper rails, and all the cries for decades have fallen on deaf ears.

I played at the Expo this week, and the new diamond bar boxes there were pin ball machines. Then I went to the predator booth and tried their 7' table. It played much slower off the cushions, just like a Gold Crown and about every other table ever made. I then played on the Predator 9', and it too played slower.

This pinball rail cushion is almost exclusively a Diamond "feature" or "defect" if you ask me.

If Diamond had a proper cushion, I'd have a Diamond in my home, even if I thought it was ugly.
I don't think it's the cushions I thinks it's the stiffer rails which have less deflection.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Saw this was the tourn. table so i looked it up. Other than the slate it looks like junk to me. Sketchy looking base and very flimsy looking frame if you want to call it that. Might be ok for one event or maybe a house but this thing is no commercial-grade table by any stretch. https://www.rasson.cn/acurra-mr-sung What's y'alls thoughts??
Nice clean looking table. Sure would like to see a single long beam going right down the middle of the table for added support. Those cross beams may be solid support (steel) but that is still a long span across for 1" slate. Only time will tell imo.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Not trying to start a brushfire but i asked this to D'mond directly. They said that their 'butcher-block' rail construction is stiffer and thus a faster rebound. Said its not the rubber itself. I gotta ask, how hard is it to adjust? I play mostly on GC4's but when i do play on a D'mond i don't see the big issue. Based on my playing on them i'd never use the term 'pinball machine' to describe the speed. Don't go off on me here but in 20yrs(your words) you can't adjust instead of complaining/knocking them? Don't play if the place uses them is probably best option.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think it's the cushions I thinks it's the stiffer rails which have less deflection.
Could be. Whatever is the root cause, the end result is horrible imo.

They don’t even feel like a heated 3 cushion table does. Those rails are fast, but feel “natural” with the way the ball bounces off the rail. And they bounce long.

Diamond rails have what feels like an artificial bounce, and in addition the angle is short.

There is no other table that bounces like the Diamond. Be it another American style pool table, a snooker table, or a 3 cushion carom table. Whatever they did they diverged so far from everything else.

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
Yapp has proven himself in top level competition. He belongs!
They’re all pros Jay, and Yapp is a journeyman pro, been around a long time. You’ve been around this game a long time and I have great deference and respect for you but I disagree in that I don’t believe Yapp is one of the top 16 players. I know you’re very close to Dennis and know his game as well as anyone. Would you stakehorse Yapp against Dennis? I wouldn’t, and Dennis is just one example.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
More bounce to the ounce on Diamonds :). Seriously, there is no question that Diamond rails/cushions play far differently than a GC. They bank much shorter and can be stiffened to make shots that would be impossible on a GC. It's a big change, but a new challenge at the same time. I'm still amazed the banks that can be made on a Diamond that you wouldn't even try on a GC. Not sure about any of these new tables and how they bank. I'd like to know how they compare with GC or Diamond.