Remind me again why?

sellingboe

My thoughts that I have shared before: I would like to see the "ufc" approach. When I first started watching ufc in 1993, it was only LEGAL in a handful of states. Now it is a billion dollar company with multiple airings weekly on ESPN prime time.

How did they get there? I agree there needs to be ONE controlling organization, with a vocal and visible President ala Dana White, with some industry muscle in the background like the fertita brothers were for ufc.

Put the idea of a tour on hold, for now. Instead focus all marketing on 18-45 year old males. Then find that elusive, edgy TV station willing to take a chance on some reality programming.

Bring 20 of the young, talented pros together and stick them in a mansion in Vegas. Plenty of free alcohol. Two coaches...I would likely go with JJ vs. Earl...they have history.

Each week the winning coach chooses a game and match up. The editing is key, as each match has to LOOK epic on tv. You need a good producer who can really highlight the real life struggles of these players holding on to a fading way of life on the road, chasing a dollar in a pool hall.

The more fights, trash talk, broken cues, etc., the better. People love watching train wrecks.

It all culminates with live semifinal and final matches from Ceasars in Vegas. Maybe get Joe Rogan to do a live podcast from the arena...also maybe he could get some of his celebrity friends to show up so that at random times throughout the broadcast, the camera can focus on a celeb and their date out enjoying a night of pro pool.

The winner gets a championship belt, a guaranteed 6 figure contract, and sits atop the challenge pyramid where once a month pyramid challenges take place on ppv.

Build the sport and brand around the characters...the athletes...not the game itself. When the sponsorship money from dogecoin, monster energy, and RKC Blue adhesive starts rolling in, then you branch out and look at tours and such...

Alright...there's the winning formula. Ima be pi$$Ed if one of you rascals steal my idea without cutting me in on it :)
I hate reality TV and I hate even more that your idea has legs because of it, but it does. You deserve a cut...

livemusic

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My thoughts that I have shared before: I would like to see the "ufc" approach. When I first started watching ufc in 1993, it was only LEGAL in a handful of states. Now it is a billion dollar company with multiple airings weekly on ESPN prime time.

How did they get there? I agree there needs to be ONE controlling organization, with a vocal and visible President ala Dana White, with some industry muscle in the background like the fertita brothers were for ufc.

Put the idea of a tour on hold, for now. Instead focus all marketing on 18-45 year old males. Then find that elusive, edgy TV station willing to take a chance on some reality programming.

Bring 20 of the young, talented pros together and stick them in a mansion in Vegas. Plenty of free alcohol. Two coaches...I would likely go with JJ vs. Earl...they have history.

Each week the winning coach chooses a game and match up. The editing is key, as each match has to LOOK epic on tv. You need a good producer who can really highlight the real life struggles of these players holding on to a fading way of life on the road, chasing a dollar in a pool hall.

The more fights, trash talk, broken cues, etc., the better. People love watching train wrecks.

It all culminates with live semifinal and final matches from Ceasars in Vegas. Maybe get Joe Rogan to do a live podcast from the arena...also maybe he could get some of his celebrity friends to show up so that at random times throughout the broadcast, the camera can focus on a celeb and their date out enjoying a night of pro pool.

The winner gets a championship belt, a guaranteed 6 figure contract, and sits atop the challenge pyramid where once a month pyramid challenges take place on ppv.

Build the sport and brand around the characters...the athletes...not the game itself. When the sponsorship money from dogecoin, monster energy, and RKC Blue adhesive starts rolling in, then you branch out and look at tours and such...

Alright...there's the winning formula. Ima be pi$$Ed if one of you rascals steal my idea without cutting me in on it :)

^^^ The powers that be reading this... this man has it figured out. This could work. The gambling, the struggle that is part of the story of pro pool... that would friggin sell as reality tv! People love drama, they love trainwrecks. People love stories. It's crazy how many amazing stories there are in the game of high stakes pool. You could blend all of that with explaining WHY pro pool players are so friggin good. Explain control of the cue ball. The bazillions of hours of practice to get there and stay there. I really do think this could work. I actually think it would be an absolute blast researching and writing scripts for such a show!

sellingboe

I saw we invent CornPool. Use pool balls instead of that redneck sack . To make it our exciting , a team mate's head has to be the back wall for the hole .
I just about fell off my chair reading this one. The vision of it brought me to tears laughing... I should just call it a night because there's no way it can get better, but I'm morbidly ensconced in this train wreck of a thread.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
^^^ The powers that be reading this... this man has it figured out. This could work. The gambling, the struggle that is part of the story of pro pool... that would friggin sell as reality tv! People love drama, they love trainwrecks. People love stories. It's crazy how many amazing stories there are in the game of high stakes pool. You could blend all of that with explaining WHY pro pool players are so friggin good. Explain control of the cue ball. The bazillions of hours of practice to get there and stay there. I really do think this could work. I actually think it would be an absolute blast researching and writing scripts for such a show!
Yeah, show with a houseful of pool players will definitely outdraw a show with a houseful of nubile 20-something super-model wannabees.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why can't this sport find ANY source of sponsorship OUTSIDE of this industry???

Is it really like everyone assumes, because pool has such a bad reputation?

OR, because there's no leadership or organization involved in the sport?

OR MAYBE, because those who feel they already control this sport worldwide, would actually LOSE that control by way of sponsors, organization, and LEADERSHIP taking OVER from them, leaving them completely out the door?

How much do advertisers spend each year?

It was calculated that the total advertising expenditure in North America in 2019 amounted to 253.6 billion U.S. dollars. Due to the impact of the coronavirus on the industry, the spending is expected to fall to 236 billion dollars in 2020, and rebound to 254 billion dollars by the end of 2022

How much money is spent on advertising globally?

Last year, global ad spending slipped 3.5% to $628 billion. For 2021, however, revenue will grow 24% in the U.K. and Brazil, 23% in China and 17% in the U.S., including political advertising.Jun 14, 2021
not enough glue sales.........

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do YOU have YOUR name on a can of billiards adhesive??? I bet you don't have your NAME on shit!! My accomplishments are on in the market place, around the world! Where's yours???
Lol billiards adhesive. You made a glue. Congrats. How does that make you the savior of pool

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Guys down here won’t use it. Too expensive and doesn’t work any better than other glue. I guess glue is just glue.

Pretty safe bet that it has a lot in common with other glues. The major difference is the color. Yellow glue showed around the edges of the slate when customers played on the glued on cloth. I don't know if it was all tables or some, unhappy customers anyway. Glen's solution was apparently to make a glue that didn't show as much as the yellow through blue or green cloth! Necessity is a mother ... invention! I do think it is stretching things to change the color and be an invention. Matter of fact, I know you can't. I suspect he mixed and matched ingredients from several formulas, last I knew patents required a 10% difference from existing products and that difference specifically excludes size or color.

Now they seem much more inclined to issue patents and let patent holders fend for themselves but that can still work out pretty sweet. A friend of mine was well past retirement age when another company trampled all over his patents. Took them to court, then sold the company to the patent violators who were in no position to negotiate price!

Hu

TomHay

Best Tips For Less
Gold Member
Silver Member
Why can't this sport find ANY source of sponsorship OUTSIDE of this industry???

Is it really like everyone assumes, because pool has such a bad reputation?

OR, because there's no leadership or organization involved in the sport?

OR MAYBE, because those who feel they already control this sport worldwide, would actually LOSE that control by way of sponsors, organization, and LEADERSHIP taking OVER from them, leaving them completely out the door?

How much do advertisers spend each year?

It was calculated that the total advertising expenditure in North America in 2019 amounted to 253.6 billion U.S. dollars. Due to the impact of the coronavirus on the industry, the spending is expected to fall to 236 billion dollars in 2020, and rebound to 254 billion dollars by the end of 2022

How much money is spent on advertising globally?

Last year, global ad spending slipped 3.5% to $628 billion. For 2021, however, revenue will grow 24% in the U.K. and Brazil, 23% in China and 17% in the U.S., including political advertising.Jun 14, 2021
The Late Steve Miz made some money and put Pool in the spot light with his Just Showing Off Miller Lite Commercials. If you watch a LOT of TV like I did with Covid a great percentage of the Commercials on TV have many with Pool Tables and Playing in the Back Ground. Face Book has a Ton of streaming live play on it. I sponsor some local Tournaments during the year. In Pro Golf the 125th player makes a Million a year. Do a front page search on AZB and look at what the 15th top player makes per year. Its sad.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
The Late Steve Miz made some money and put Pool in the spot light with his Just Showing Off Miller Lite Commercials. If you watch a LOT of TV like I did with Covid a great percentage of the Commercials on TV have many with Pool Tables and Playing in the Back Ground. Face Book has a Ton of streaming live play on it. I sponsor some local Tournaments during the year. In Pro Golf the 125th player makes a Million a year. Do a front page search on AZB and look at what the 15th top player makes per year. Its sad.

That commercial was 43 years ago. Since then we have Danny Harriman in a Heinz Ketchup commercial and pool as a weird backdrop in a Lincoln commercial. I trust you saw pool in the background on many others but that could be said about lamp shades and sunsets as well. One feature every 15 years on average won't revive the sport.

I get it, golf and basketball and tennis pay better but so does engineering, law, nursing, auto technician and neurosurgery. Ax throwing, Jenga, jump rope, burger flipping and balloon animal-making clowning probably require a second job to survive.

Pool provides a good living I'm sure for many equipment makers, instructors, table mechanics and others. It simply isn't very lucrative at this time for all but the very best players.

Some better organized, better marketed, more polished approach is the only thing that will change that. I have a job, I'm not trying to save pool. Others are, and maybe they will be successful.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

gerryf

Why should they be able to make a living? Endorsements, seminars, tournaments, exhibitions, and cash games all should be able to let the top 5 guys make a living.
I looked it up a couple of years ago, and the top 77 players on the pro snooker tour were making $100,000 or more every year from tournaments. Some much more ($1 million a year). There's also a culture there of putting on exhibitions (for money) at local venues, and that's in addition to tournament winnings.

From what Barry Hearn said in Billiards Digest, it sounds like he'd like to see something like a pro tour for pool players that would have a similar payout.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I looked it up a couple of years ago, and the top 77 players on the pro snooker tour were making $100,000 or more every year from tournaments. Some much more ($1 million a year). There's also a culture there of putting on exhibitions (for money) at local venues, and that's in addition to tournament winnings.

From what Barry Hearn said in Billiards Digest, it sounds like he'd like to see something like a pro tour for pool players that would have a similar payout.
Well 100k is before travel, hotels, meals so the net could be like 60k.

Cost money to be on road. Big money.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Yeah, show with a houseful of pool players will definitely outdraw a show with a houseful of nubile 20-something super-model wannabees.
Hey, folks tuned in to watch 2 of the most ugliest creatures on the planet. I think it was Honey Do Do and her mom, Pigsty.
They got fired, Pigsty started dating a pedophile, and they still brought them back for another show. WTF ?????

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Skooker earnings from 25/08/2019 to 25/08/2021 covering the last 2 years of earnings, this is what the 75th-100th place players earned, remember this is the 2 YEAR combined earnings!!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210825-132345_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210825-132345_Chrome.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 70

realkingcobra

Silver Member

How much did 77th place earn again???? €52,500 is about $52,972÷2 years=$26,486 annually!!! Long ways from $100k a year don't you think???