Revo Revo revo

LeonD123

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yup, Ronnie OSullivan plays with the tip in range of 9-9.5mm. ;) Not sure if the construction process of carbon fiber shafts allows them to go this thin..:confused:

They could. Some race cars like Formula 1 have thin and strong carbon fiber parts that support way much pressure than a pool shaft.

Imo, wood is the king for pool/snooker, and will always be.

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stated

Well, it certainly isn't about affording it for many.

And I really don't think that was implied by the OP at all.

He concluded with " Practice, practice, practice". Hard to argue with that, no matter what cue/shaft one chooses. :smile:

It's about time-honored craftsmanship. Top notch maple shafts, from top notch makers are nothing to sneeze at. Really. The performance leap with the technology leap is not nearly as great as one might wish unless you are comparing to run-of-the-mill shafts on mass produced cues.

Most players are not playing at a level where that performance difference will make any difference at all. For those that are, that's great, put your Searing/SW/Szam shaft away and use the CF shaft if that is what you prefer. But don't be too surprise if some guy with a cheap wood cue made in PI beats the living daylights out of you and all comers because he practiced, practiced, practiced.....we know that happened...and it happens on a smaller scale all the time with great players using cheap cues.

I love cues. And I am actually a "gear geek" so I understand the attraction to the CF shafts. But the OP makes some great and valid points.

More than that, he tells us he is going to try to make some CF shafts. I applaud any effort that any cue maker might make in extending his talents into that arena.

It does make one wonder what kind of animal a true custom CF shaft might be.

As stated many times it is the same in other sports Golf, Bowling, Tennis. It just sounds small minded the constant harping on why people spend $ on new products that the op feels are too expensive.
I more then most appreciate fine craftsmanship currently owning a collection of Black Boars and Tascarella's , but I don't see anything wrong with new innovation in our industry.
I agree with practice practice practice but will add practice with what you want not what someone is dictating to you.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The cue industry shares many parallels with the knife industry (I am fighting addictions to both) In the knife industry, some company will come out with a new "super steel" that is indestructible, stainless, holds an edge forever, etc, etc. That steel will be all the rage until the next super steel is discovered.

Meanwhile, you have the purists who will swear that a hand forged Carbon steel blade by Bill Moran, or a custom Loveless will outperform any Super Steel. Then you have another subset who says its all a waste of money, and a $20 dollar Buck will do anything a knife needs to do.

Different strokes for different folks. Buy what you want and can afford. I am just not sure the performance gain on a cue, which is supposed to hit things straight at a relatively low speed for a short distance, is comparable to the performance gain you get on a golf shaft that must flex/whip/torque a ball at high speeds and drive a ball hundreds of yards...But I could be wrong

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As stated many times it is the same in other sports Golf, Bowling, Tennis. It just sounds small minded the constant harping on why people spend $ on new products that the op feels are too expensive.
I more then most appreciate fine craftsmanship currently owning a collection of Black Boars and Tascarella's , but I don't see anything wrong with new innovation in our industry.
I agree with practice practice practice but will add practice with what you want not what someone is dictating to you.
Totally agree. People routinely spend THOUSANDS on pretty cues that play NO different than a $60 Players. Spending $500 on a shaft that DOES play better probably seems like a bargain to a lot of players. I'm not buying a Revo any time soon but hey, if you like the way it plays and can fade the cost, more power to you.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A cue maker near me has already made a couple CF shafts which I hope to try out someday soon. Another guy I know is in the process of making them as well. I would imagine there are others as well. There very well may be many CF shafts to choose from very soon......

Cychotron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A cue maker near me has already made a couple CF shafts which I hope to try out someday soon. Another guy I know is in the process of making them as well. I would imagine there are others as well. There very well may be many CF shafts to choose from very soon......
Some competition for predator and Becue would be great! Perhaps that will help lower prices alittle.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Any chance we can see pics or know something more about this?

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Franco

Never did I say they are too expensive, my point that was missed by most was, I see too many younger people walking into the pool hall with the latest newest hottest thing on the market, and expecting it to make them a super player.

If you want to spend 500 for a shaft, more power to you, please buy that shaft and keep the billiard industry moving forward.

But to really improve your game, you have to spend the hours on the table.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
This line is 100 percent true... BUT...

Some people find differences in equipment beneficial to their game and they might actually play better with it. A good example of this is tips. I'm sure you feel that you play better with a certain tip as opposed to any other one.

Just let people spend their time and money however they like...

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never did I say they are too expensive, my point that was missed by most was, I see too many younger people walking into the pool hall with the latest newest hottest thing on the market, and expecting it to make them a super player.

If you want to spend 500 for a shaft, more power to you, please buy that shaft and keep the billiard industry moving forward.

There we go again. Lol yes we know. But that doesn’t mean better more consistent equipment wont give you a little more of an edge. Not one person I’ve heard say if you pick up a revo your going to go from a d player to and a player. It still takes a stroke and practice to play at a high level. Only the nit’s like who started this thread say stupid stuff like that because they our so afraid of technology.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

In fairness, you did say stop spending your money on “crap”, when referring to gloves, shafts, and chalk.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They have been making, plastic, fibreglass, plastic coated, carbon fiber cored, and a zillion other synthetic
shafts for many many years. I believe a pool cue is always going to end up with a wood shaft.

There will be a few that wears a glove, has a vibration damper on their cue, and using $30 chalk. But after playing for 68 years, I'm telling you. You cannot buy a good game. Quit spending ur money on crap and spend it on table time. Practice, practice, practice

so should we buy it or not?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think the graphite shaft is worth over $500 bucks. It could be said it is the cost of new technology. But given Predators track record, does anyone think the price will come down in the future? I say NOT! AAMOF, a custom cue maker does a lot more work, and uses far more knowledge selecting the proper piece of wood, and manufacturing a wood shaft then Predator does with a graphite one.

Take this for example.... how much does a top of the line graphite golf club shaft cost? Or a high end fishing pole? They have come down in price since inception because of improvements in manufacturing. Do you think Predator will do the same? Or will they lower production costs and increase profits rather then giving the consumer a better deal?

I do have a Predator cue, and I like it, but I never would have obtained one if I hadn't won it in a contest. I don't care for the way they do business. If you do, fine. It's my opinion.

I like these points and it's a big reason I don't own any Predator stuff but stick with OB and custom cue-makers, the closer to me the better.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some competition for predator and Becue would be great! Perhaps that will help lower prices alittle.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I use and love my Revo's and yes ... I am still a "C" player :)

But I think that more options and competition in the marketplace would be a great thing.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
.........I see too many younger people walking into the pool hall with the latest newest hottest thing on the market, and expecting it to make them a super player.

Again....are you assuming this? Did these "younger people" tell you this? I have NEVER experienced anything like this.......

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only the nit’s like who started this thread say stupid stuff like that because they our so afraid of technology.

Wow.

I think that is a bit unfair and mean. It also assumes something the poster has not said. He does not impress me as being afraid of technology.

He is a cue maker. He has a good reputation at it.

Alex Kanapilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sure he was but i've actually heard people say that they can make cf shafts themselves. Without a major investment or access to aerospace facilities it would be almost impossible. Probably be cheaper to have Aldila make it for you and then start the marketing blitz. Since it doesn't have to endure the loading/unloading forces like a golf shaft making one for pool should be easier and cheaper. I'm guessing that Predator is making a killing on the Revo. Good Chinese-built golf shafts can be had for less than 50bux.

I don't know a lot about the CF mfg process(es) out there but I do know that what Predator decided to go with is not the same CF material you typically see in high end sports cars or racing cars and such. The CF they use for the revo is not a woven sheet material like you see in the automotive industry (and what I'm assuming the poster who wants to make his own shafts will have available to him), it's not aligned and doesn't come in sheets as far as I know.

So, I don't think whatever he comes up with will be similar enough to the revo shafts to be a direct comparison. Still, I'd love to see what he comes up with.

Grilled Cheese

p.i.i.t.h.
Silver Member
They have been making, plastic, fibreglass, plastic coated, carbon fiber cored, and a zillion other synthetic
shafts for many many years. I believe a pool cue is always going to end up with a wood shaft.

There will be a few that wears a glove, has a vibration damper on their cue, and using $30 chalk. But after playing for 68 years, I'm telling you. You cannot buy a good game. Quit spending ur money on crap and spend it on table time. Practice, practice, practice

Well said! +1

But what you just did is the same as telling a large group of children that Santa isn't real. And, their response is just about the same - anger and crying.

I did the same thing several years back busting on custom cues. Very hostile response. There's an almost religious cult-like defense of the indefensible. At least in the custom cue world, if someone is not a fanatic and has reason, you can attribute their responses to insincerity. That is, they don't truly believe they play better or make more balls - they are defending their value, which in turn is their money. Which can be quite a lot for those cues. In regard to the Revo, it's more along the lines of defending a purchase decision and maintaining a self-delusion that a shaft will improve their game.

Another similar comparison is weight loss. Telling fat, lazy, unmotivated people the drop the gimmicks and just get out there and work up a sweat.

Reality checks....in this era of humanity, just aren't popular.